The Student Room Group

Psychology PYA5 - how did it go?

I felt it went very well - I was surprised that that horror films question came up! It was a variation on the question & model answer I posted some days ago, which was quite strange.
I ran out of time with therapies, I was blabbing on about chemotherapy for so long that I had to move on to behavioural.
Issues, I did the cultural bias question with a weird 5/25 split. Wasn't too bad, though, I hope I did what I was supposed to!

Sat it this AM, so was sitting in our staff room under quarantine on my own (I was the only one who had S2 this afternoon as well).

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think it was okay! I did the questions on schizophrenia, psychology as a science and the horror film approaches. Schizophrenia was good, probably my best topic so think that bit went well... psychology as a science was okay too I think... floundered a bit on the approaches though. I came up for with some brilliant responses to past papers this morning, but unfortunately couldn't quite muster that in the actual thing! Completely ran out of time too so the last few points on it can't have gained more than a couple of marks. Oh well :tongue: How about everyone else?
ShadowStorm
I felt it went very well - I was surprised that that horror films question came up! It was a variation on the question & model answer I posted some days ago, which was quite strange.
I ran out of time with therapies, I was blabbing on about chemotherapy for so long that I had to move on to behavioural.
Issues, I did the cultural bias question with a weird 5/25 split. Wasn't too bad, though, I hope I did what I was supposed to!

Sat it this AM, so was sitting in our staff room under quarantine on my own (I was the only one who had S2 this afternoon as well).

I ran over with my therpies question as well.. Had been revising chemotherapy before so thought best start on behavioural to avoid the above happening because I thought I had less to say about behavioural.. Turns out I had enough knowledge to blab on about that for approx 30 minutes!! So ended up skimming over chemotherapy and doing pretty crappy comparison/contrast stuff at the end.. But it was OKAY.

I did free will & determinism but I wish now that I'd done psychology as a science. That's the problem with choices, I do the wrong one!! It was alright again, 5/25 split like your issues question and I went on about psychodynamic theory and behaviourism so that was hopefully okay as well.

Then I did the horror question for approaches. I did the psychodynamic approach and biological approach - evaluated the psychodynamic one and discussed method into research with biological.. That was alright too but I kind of ran out of time and energy to care towards the end of the question!!

All in all I think it went reasonably well. I had a minor setback at the beginning when I COULDNT FOR THE LIFE OF ME remember what Behavioural therapies were at ALL!!! But I got past that eventually :0

Anyone else beginning to feel the effects of exam season? I feel like I have a constant headache, my neck aches from having my head at that angle mixed with stressing out and I am perpetually tired due to lack of exercise due to attempting revision. Plus my diet has generally turned awful in the past week as I can't get anything in me before exams!!
Reply 3
I thought it was good too! Didnt really like the whole movies thing though.. couldnt use psychodynamic but it was still ok. I wrote loads of SZ but it was one of them stupid with refence to the quote ones! but good over all couldnt really asked for a better paper! Some people in my college are going to get a lil shock tho because they wrote about ethical guidelines not issues!
Reply 4
eternalsunshine

I did free will & determinism but I wish now that I'd done psychology as a science. That's the problem with choices, I do the wrong one!! It was alright again, 5/25 split like your issues question and I went on about psychodynamic theory and behaviourism so that was hopefully okay as well.

Hehe, I had the same problem! :tongue: I started answering psychology as a science - then crossed it out and started on free will vs determinism - then crossed it out again and eventually stuck with psychology as a science :wink: It's so annoying that until you get into an essay you don't really know which one you're going to do better at!

And as for not remembering stuff, it took me about half the way into my schizophrenia essay to remember any non-biological therapies to contrast it with. Then I remembered loads and couldn't stop writing :tongue:

eternalsunshine
Anyone else beginning to feel the effects of exam season? I feel like I have a constant headache, my neck aches from having my head at that angle mixed with stressing out and I am perpetually tired due to lack of exercise due to attempting revision. Plus my diet has generally turned awful in the past week as I can't get anything in me before exams!!

Completely :frown: Normally adrenaline takes me through my exams, but I feel like I've pushed myself so much I have no more reserves left. I'm also living off vast cups of tea to keep me awake and whatever junk food I can find in the fridge, getting no exercise, and very little sleep. Roll on Friday...

Anyway, sounds like you did well today :smile: Really glad it all went okay.

And no more Psychology!! :eek:
Reply 5
cool_guy769
I thought it was good too! Didnt really like the whole movies thing though.. couldnt use psychodynamic but it was still ok. I wrote loads of SZ but it was one of them stupid with refence to the quote ones! but good over all couldnt really asked for a better paper! Some people in my college are going to get a lil shock tho because they wrote about ethical guidelines not issues!

In the first part of the question I applied the psychodynamic theory to it... id demanding instant gratification, and repression... Thanatos being exercised through carthatic activity. Wrote about behavioural for the rest of the Approaches though.

Schizophrenia - 5 pages of perfect, recited information relating to the quote.. couldn't have done it better really.

Freewill/determinism - Went OK, wrote about environmental determinism (behavioural), biological (psychodynamic, biological theories), humanistic theory... and concluded with soft determinism. First part of the question I included efficient casuality and soft determinism too - hope I did well enough though.

Approaches - already outlined.. did horror movies!
WOW ive never been so happy.
Last night I was complaining on here, saying I hadnt revised Anxiety Disorders or Nature/Nurture. And I never did.
Then I prayed all night that Freewill and determinism, biological Schizophrenia would come up.
AND THEY DID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also did the Horror Films question.
I used Biological approach - saying about the adrenalin rush
I also used Psychodynamic approach - ID was dominant
Is that right?
Reply 7
am i the only one that did horoscopes?
Reply 8
BlueAngel
WOW ive never been so happy.
Last night I was complaining on here, saying I hadnt revised Anxiety Disorders or Nature/Nurture. And I never did.
Then I prayed all night that Freewill and determinism, biological Schizophrenia would come up.
AND THEY DID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also did the Horror Films question.
I used Biological approach - saying about the adrenalin rush
I also used Psychodynamic approach - ID was dominant
Is that right?

the question which said dicuss free will and determinism i only wrote 2 pages and didn't include research is this bad :confused:
Reply 9
alio
the question which said dicuss free will and determinism i only wrote 2 pages and didn't include research is this bad :confused:
no. :smile:
Did anyone use behavioural for question 8 (movies)?
Reply 11
cool_guy769
Did anyone use behavioural for question 8 (movies)?

I did - behavioural and psychodynamic. Mucked up the question a bit though.
slowjamz
I did - behavioural and psychodynamic. Mucked up the question a bit though.

what did you write for behavioural?
Easy peezey, since i prepared well for em..

Schiz
Free will vs Determinism
Horror movies (psychodynamic and behavioural)

Questions so predictable.. glad everybody did well!!

Now have the whole of tomorrow to revise for History on Friday!!

Good luck for the rest... mwwwahh
Reply 14
cool_guy769
what did you write for behavioural?

I said that watching horror movies was rewarding (eg. the exhiliration from sharing it with friends), which is positively reinforcing, as repetition of it conditions and cements the association of horror movies with positive feelings. There may be negative reinforcement, as it allows the young people to get away from the pressures of home life. There could be punishers (eg. fear and panic), but the rewards clearly outweigh them. There could be elements of vicarious reinforcement, as if they see their friends at the cinema, then they will tend to learn by imitation.

That's all I wrote. I hope I got that bit right. I also did the biological approach (but only because behav/biol were the only ones I'd studied for it).
Reply 15
Thom18
I said that watching horror movies was rewarding (eg. the exhiliration from sharing it with friends), which is positively reinforcing, as repetition of it conditions and cements the association of horror movies with positive feelings. There may be negative reinforcement, as it allows the young people to get away from the pressures of home life. There could be punishers (eg. fear and panic), but the rewards clearly outweigh them. There could be elements of vicarious reinforcement, as if they see their friends at the cinema, then they will tend to learn by imitation.

That's all I wrote. I hope I got that bit right. I also did the biological approach (but only because behav/biol were the only ones I'd studied for it).

Yeah, I wrote something very similar for it - talked about classical conditioning forming an association between horror films and pleasure when they see them with their friends, and talked about negative reinforcement and vicarious reinforcement. That's pretty much all I put too - unfortunately my responses to the rest of that question were very weak and rushed, but hopefully I did okay on the first two. Does anyone know the approx. usual grade boundary for this paper?
Reply 16
I put when they were younger, they watched their parents come home happy (reward) after the cinema (operant/vicarious).. the babysister would tell the child that the parents watched a horror film - to make the child go to sleep earlier... and the relaxation when falling asleep/thinking about the horror film = association (classical), because they feel relaxed when with large groups of friends..
Reply 17
slowjamz
unfortunately my responses to the rest of that question were very weak and rushed, but hopefully I did okay on the first two. Does anyone know the approx. usual grade boundary for this paper?

I did the same thing. I wrote some quite good stuff on part a) but then bollocked the other parts. Still, I'm not too fussed. I only needed 26/90 to get an A overall, which I'm pretty sure I've got (trying not to sound big-headed).
You need 72 for an A, 63 for B, 54 for C etc. (these are based on raw marks out of 90, NOT ums marks out of 120)
slowjamz
. Does anyone know the approx. usual grade boundary for this paper?

for an A its been 54/94 55/94 and 59/94
Reply 19
cool_guy769
for an A its been 54/94 55/94 and 59/94

Really? How do you know that?

Latest