taking a level english literature and english language SEPARATELY? Watch

humbert-humbert
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I want to study english or journalism at a russell group university; is it wise to do both english lit and lang separately or is language not necessary? I know that english literature is more respected by universities, but I find language quite interesting. Are they considered too similar?
tcameron
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Either do lit&lang or just lit.
I'd suggest just do literature.
Don't waste an A level option doing both as separate A levels.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by humbert-humbert)
I want to study english or journalism at a russell group university; is it wise to do both english lit and lang separately or is language not necessary? I know that english literature is more respected by universities, but I find language quite interesting. Are they considered too similar?
They are completely different subjects, and even far apart from each other at university. English Language at uni is more to do with linguistics which is the scientific study of language. It's so much more complicated and intricate than that of GCSE and A-level.

English Language is an interesting language and it does complement Literature in a way you'll be able to deconstruct language to a much finer way. You will most likely be able to improve your writing ability, by understanding the ways in which language works in both English A-levels.

If you find English Language interesting, then pick that A-level. I think even though Literature is more "respected", Language will be more beneficial to your degree. In the A-level Language, you will explore things such as language in the media, language and sexuality, language and gender, language and technology, the use of language in politics; pragmatism and political correctness. You'll also learn some interesting theories of gender, grammarians and the history of English Language and its changes. Another interesting one will be studying how babies and children acquire spoken and written language which is the cutest and funnest thing ever! I really enjoyed this at A-level!

I say take it because if you find it interesting, then you'll potentially do well at A-level!
humbert-humbert
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
They are completely different subjects, and even far apart from each other at university. English Language at uni is more to do with linguistics which is the scientific study of language. It's so much more complicated and intricate than that of GCSE and A-level.

English Language is an interesting language and it does complement Literature in a way you'll be able to deconstruct language to a much finer way. You will most likely be able to improve your writing ability, by understanding the ways in which language works in both English A-levels.

If you find English Language interesting, then pick that A-level. I think even though Literature is more "respected", Language will be more beneficial to your degree. In the A-level Language, you will explore things such as language in the media, language and sexuality, language and gender, language and technology, the use of language in politics; pragmatism and political correctness. You'll also learn some interesting theories of gender, grammarians and the history of English Language and its changes. Another interesting one will be studying how babies and children acquire spoken and written language which is the cutest and funnest thing ever! I really enjoyed this at A-level!

I say take it because if you find it interesting, then you'll potentially do well at A-level!
thank you so much for such a detailed and helpful answer! I think I will take it, thanks again
Cal-lum
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Lots of people at my Sixth Form do both, they seem to run alongside each other quite nicely. I suggest you take both. They will set you up well for a degree in Journalism and you won't be disadvantaged by RG unis.
hannahrob97
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Do not let anyone tell you you can't do both because they're too similar and definitely do not let anyone tell you that English language is not "academic" or "hard" enough as an a level! I take both and faced a lot of stigma from uneducated science students in my sixth form who told me that despite getting As in both subjects at AS they didn't count because they weren't "proper" subjects. I have loved studying both at A Level and if you enjoy them, do the same, especially if you want to do journalism or English at university. A friend of mine has got five offers, including an unconditional, for journalism with both Englishes and I've applied for English lit at uni and got an offer from Durham doing both as well. If it's really what you want to do, go for it!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
rhensis
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by humbert-humbert)
I did both at AS and at A Level they are totally different to each other. There is much mote overlap for GCSE, but at A Level they become totally separate subjects, that compliment each other really well but are not interlinked. Eng lang A Level is no easier than Eng lit and it would be a mistake to think so. I found that lang is much more interesting and involved (but then I would say that as I'm going to uni to do Linguistics haha). If you want to do both then do both - don't let people put you off it by spreading false information that lang isn't valuable.
Jodie98
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I want to go to a russel group uni and i've taken lit/lang but this is because my college didn't offer lit. I keep reading that it isn't 'respected' but my teachers tell me otherwise. I personally don't enjoy the lang side at all, and would have much preffered to have just taken lit although it is more difficult than doing a mix. I don't see a problem with doing both. They run along side eachother nicely although they are not 'too similair' at all to take both.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (157)
59.47%
No I haven't decided yet (61)
23.11%
Yes but I might change my mind (46)
17.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed