Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I'm intending on joining Tayforth OTC in October, providing I get in to St Andrews, and I am simply wondering what the selection process was like and how competitive it was. Any help/advice/pointers would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    i really hope someone can answer you as i am aiming to improve my fitness over summer to apply and would like to know what is needed i did read on an old thread that bleep test was used at selection

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3498kinvara)
    i really hope someone can answer you as i am aiming to improve my fitness over summer to apply and would like to know what is needed i did read on an old thread that bleep test was used at selection
    What's your phys like? I wouldn't imagine anything too strenuous would be needed. Prolly around 10.3 on bleep test would be a good start.

ReputationRep:
    thanks i spoke to someone on army chat who told me bleep test entry requirements were 8.1 for females and 10.2 for males, but didnt have any more information, i would need to contact my local army careers office for more info. So i am going to work on endurance and speed as soon as exams finish and try and get a good time on the 1.5 mile run. I have been researching a lot about it over past few weeks and the thought about joining makes me more excited about uni itself. It seems such a great opportunity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3498kinvara)
    thanks i spoke to someone on army chat who told me bleep test entry requirements were 8.1 for females and 10.2 for males, but didnt have any more information, i would need to contact my local army careers office for more info. So i am going to work on endurance and speed as soon as exams finish and try and get a good time on the 1.5 mile run. I have been researching a lot about it over past few weeks and the thought about joining makes me more excited about uni itself. It seems such a great opportunity.
    Do you have much experience in the cadets, or will this be the popping of a rather epic cherry?

ReputationRep:
    Nah the phys needed is very low, 1.5 mile run within 14 mins normally is enough...a few press-ups and sit-ups and that is about it.

I did "selection" a few years ago and it wasn't a bleep test, just a run and they record your time.

However, i wouldn't recommend the OTC if you're serious about learning some skills. It is more of a glorified drinking club with some field trips thrown in, if you're serious about doing it join the local TA section. I had friends who were in the OTC in St Andrews for the whole time they were at St Andrews; they hated the lack of activities. I also left because of this reason. If you really want to become fit join TA Paras - the closest section is in Edinburgh however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxy)
    Nah the phys needed is very low, 1.5 mile run within 14 mins normally is enough...a few press-ups and sit-ups and that is about it.

I did "selection" a few years ago and it wasn't a bleep test, just a run and they record your time.

However, i wouldn't recommend the OTC if you're serious about learning some skills. It is more of a glorified drinking club with some field trips thrown in, if you're serious about doing it join the local TA section. I had friends who were in the OTC in St Andrews for the whole time they were at St Andrews; they hated the lack of activities. I also left because of this reason. If you really want to become fit join TA Paras - the closest section is in Edinburgh however.
    Solid, sounds like a doddle, and exactly how I would expect what is essentially a more grown up CCF, would I be right in thinking the RSDG at Leuchars like to have nothing to do with the OTC?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoVeryBritish)
    Solid, sounds like a doddle, and exactly how I would expect what is essentially a more grown up CCF, would I be right in thinking the RSDG at Leuchars like to have nothing to do with the OTC?
    Yes that is correct - although I have since left St Andrews (graduated) and the Royal Scots came in my last year. The closest TA section was in Cupar but there may be one in Leuchars now that the RSDG are there.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.