Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! A friend I've always considered as a best mate, seems to dislike it if I go out with others.

I was invited to go out tonight. He was invited too, but couldn't because of work. He began messaging me saying "you always go out with them, but not me". Like I said... I've always considered him to be a best mate and I told him that. Out of all the times I've been out in the past, there was one occasion when I didn't want to go out as I had work the next day (I don't want to be too tired or drunk in work obviously!).

He goes out with his other mates and doesn't invite me. But even if he's invited and can't go, it's like I can't go out? He went out last week for his birthday, and didn't invite me. I feel a bit like "why didn't you invite me?" but I'm not moaning at him?

Once he had a go at me saying "you are always miserable around me" and apparently I have a better time with other people which is completely untrue!?

Why do you think he's being like this? I didn't end up going out. I get anxiety and now I feel as if I've done everything wrong and it feels like I annoy people. I started breathing odd and had a mild panic attack so I wasn't up to going out. Have I done something wrong? Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Any thoughts?

I have a similar problem. And if im honest i think the problem is with your friend and not you, it seems to be more complicated than just jealousy or wanting attention or craving your friendship but its a much deeper, psychological issue.. especially when you said about them saying 'you're miserable around me' they are showing symptoms of self loathing and what i call being a 'victim' as harsh as that might sound i dont mean it to be because often it is outwith their control .. not too sure what you can do to help without seeming intrusive though.. sorry this isnt really as helpful as i hopes it would be i just thought it would maybe let you understand the situation a bit more and so that you wouldnt beat yourself up about it, the problem doesnt lie with you and you have done nothing wrong. I hope somehow that you manage to sort things out good luck!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I had a friend like the. He wanted attention all the time from me and wasn't too happy when I went out with others. It turned nasty and I'm no longer in contact with him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2scotty)
    Hi! A friend I've always considered as a best mate, seems to dislike it if I go out with others.

I was invited to go out tonight. He was invited too, but couldn't because of work. He began messaging me saying "you always go out with them, but not me". Like I said... I've always considered him to be a best mate and I told him that. Out of all the times I've been out in the past, there was one occasion when I didn't want to go out as I had work the next day (I don't want to be too tired or drunk in work obviously!).

He goes out with his other mates and doesn't invite me. But even if he's invited and can't go, it's like I can't go out? He went out last week for his birthday, and didn't invite me. I feel a bit like "why didn't you invite me?" but I'm not moaning at him?

Once he had a go at me saying "you are always miserable around me" and apparently I have a better time with other people which is completely untrue!?

Why do you think he's being like this? I didn't end up going out. I get anxiety and now I feel as if I've done everything wrong and it feels like I annoy people. I started breathing odd and had a mild panic attack so I wasn't up to going out. Have I done something wrong? Thanks in advance!
    He sounds like a ***** tbh, I'd slap my mates if they acted like that

ReputationRep:
    He's being a little prick. Stop letting him talk to you like that, in future when he says this kind of ******** just tell him straight why he is being ridiculous and you won't stand for it. He'll either realise he's being a **** and stop or he'll throw a tantrum and stop talking to you/ act like more of a ****. If the former happens then that is great, if the latter happens then you have lost nothing as proper friends don't act like that. I don't know about you, but I'd rather have someone like that out of my life.

ReputationRep:
    Seems like jealousy to me. Are you a girl? He might have a crush on you if you are... That or he has a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    He's being a little prick. Stop letting him talk to you like that, in future when he says this kind of ******** just tell him straight why he is being ridiculous and you won't stand for it. He'll either realise he's being a **** and stop or he'll throw a tantrum and stop talking to you/ act like more of a ****. If the former happens then that is great, if the latter happens then you have lost nothing as proper friends don't act like that. I don't know about you, but I'd rather have someone like that out of my life.
    (Original post by Tom78)
    He sounds like a ***** tbh, I'd slap my mates if they acted like that
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    I had a friend like the. He wanted attention all the time from me and wasn't too happy when I went out with others. It turned nasty and I'm no longer in contact with him.
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have a similar problem. And if im honest i think the problem is with your friend and not you, it seems to be more complicated than just jealousy or wanting attention or craving your friendship but its a much deeper, psychological issue.. especially when you said about them saying 'you're miserable around me' they are showing symptoms of self loathing and what i call being a 'victim' as harsh as that might sound i dont mean it to be because often it is outwith their control .. not too sure what you can do to help without seeming intrusive though.. sorry this isnt really as helpful as i hopes it would be i just thought it would maybe let you understand the situation a bit more and so that you wouldnt beat yourself up about it, the problem doesnt lie with you and you have done nothing wrong. I hope somehow that you manage to sort things out good luck!
    Thanks! I'll see what happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conkerr)
    Seems like jealousy to me. Are you a girl? He might have a crush on you if you are... That or he has a problem.
    Nope, I'm a guy. I consider him to be my best mate!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 22, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.