Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What should I do in my career? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I studied photography/graphic design at University. If I'm, honest, it was a bit pointless. It allowed me to be creative, I learned all about the software, had time to look for clients etc, but with creative courses, you can easily learn things like software at home with YouTube tutorials and through tutorial websites. Anything creative (like photography, design etc) seems pointless at University. I think University feels only worth it if you study things like Maths, Law, Science, a language, or if you want to become a Doctor and things like that.

I've been trying for photography or graphic design style jobs ever since I graduated, and I've had no luck. I always had an interest in journalism but I'm not too sure about that now. I recently had a work placement in journalism and I wasn't keen on it.

I work full-time in retail. It's not a bad job, I quite like it. My dream was always to work in TV/media and do things like camera work. But... last year I was offered the opportunity to progress to retail management because my managers were impressed with my work. I didn't take it because at the time, I wanted to follow my dream.

However, it's been 3 years (this Summer) since I graduated and I've not got anywhere because people either don't reply to emails or phone calls, it's a "thank you but no thank you", or they say i've not got enough experience - when places don't offer experience.

Should I go into retail management instead? What should I do? Or should I try and see if I can study something entirely new like business? Or go into a different type of career?

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest how many TV production companies did you apply to?

You really have to be motivated and thick skinned to get your first job in media.

How many kit hire places did you apply to for work experience?

What was it that you didn't like about the journalism work ex?

I am a former TV professional so I can suggest pointers for you. However it is one of those all or nothing jobs and you have to be very motivated to do it.

Are you looking for permission to pursue a career in retail? Don't feel badly about that if that's what you want to do 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ive been told that if you have a creative degree, the best way go get a good job is to be totally unconventional in your job search

you have good skills? make an amazing picture, a youtube channel with good content, a short movie clip, show just how good you are with your camera, and show it to potential employer's, show then just how creative you can be

that will probably get you further than writing cover letters and CV's that describe how creative you 'can' be

i know that if i had posted a job that required a creative mind, i would love a way for the person to open up to be with something that entertained me

if you've watched wolf of wall street, its kinda like pitching a stock to get a position as a stock broker, what better way to convince your employers that your the one for the job than by showing them how good you are

ReputationRep:
    I know this is going to pour cold water in the above thread but often starter jobs in creative industries are more about having staying power, common sense, excellent people skills, ability to foresee, and fix, problems, ability to arrive on time and work long hours. Ability to not require much supervision, willingness to answer phone, lug boxes, cables, make toast, get client coffee exactly to their specification and drive.

It's not about doing anything creative to begin with. That comes later.

When you start other people do the creative stuff and you are the dogsbody albeit the dogsbody with creative ambition

To get in requires initiative, determination, tenacity and being in the right place at the right time.

😄 however all those things you mention are good evidence that someone is, actually, interested!

My usual advice to anyone wanting to get on in film and TV is learn to drive. When employing runners, often an entry point into TV, it was essentially the most important thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happyinthehaze)
    Out of interest how many TV production companies did you apply to?

You really have to be motivated and thick skinned to get your first job in media.

How many kit hire places did you apply to for work experience?

What was it that you didn't like about the journalism work ex?

I am a former TV professional so I can suggest pointers for you. However it is one of those all or nothing jobs and you have to be very motivated to do it.

Are you looking for permission to pursue a career in retail? Don't feel badly about that if that's what you want to do 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by KungPooPanda)
    ive been told that if you have a creative degree, the best way go get a good job is to be totally unconventional in your job search

you have good skills? make an amazing picture, a youtube channel with good content, a short movie clip, show just how good you are with your camera, and show it to potential employer's, show then just how creative you can be

that will probably get you further than writing cover letters and CV's that describe how creative you 'can' be

i know that if i had posted a job that required a creative mind, i would love a way for the person to open up to be with something that entertained me

if you've watched wolf of wall street, its kinda like pitching a stock to get a position as a stock broker, what better way to convince your employers that your the one for the job than by showing them how good you are
    (Original post by happyinthehaze)
    I know this is going to pour cold water in the above thread but often starter jobs in creative industries are more about having staying power, common sense, excellent people skills, ability to foresee, and fix, problems, ability to arrive on time and work long hours. Ability to not require much supervision, willingness to answer phone, lug boxes, cables, make toast, get client coffee exactly to their specification and drive.

It's not about doing anything creative to begin with. That comes later.

When you start other people do the creative stuff and you are the dogsbody albeit the dogsbody with creative ambition

To get in requires initiative, determination, tenacity and being in the right place at the right time.

😄 however all those things you mention are good evidence that someone is, actually, interested!

My usual advice to anyone wanting to get on in film and TV is learn to drive. When employing runners, often an entry point into TV, it was essentially the most important thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you for your replies 😊

I think, with me, what it is... I'd absolutely love a career in media/TV. I loved studying media, I had the passion and enthusiasm it needed to get a Triple Distinction (the highest grade, and the highest mark I'd ever got in my education life! I enjoyed it that much).

A few years back, I got into a "recruitment workshop" at ITV in London. We were told there in the room, we were the 300 successful people out of 3000 applicants. That made me realise my skills and work must have been up to standard.

But back then, I wasn't as confident as I was now, and that's the reason I think, why they weren't interested in me further. I always thought people were better than me.

I know I'm not just going to be able to walk into ITV and get a job, I've got to work my way up, but I don't know how to. Where do I start? I need to pay keep, so I can't get rid of my job completely and work for nothing, I could drop a day or two at work though? I live in Bristol so there is plenty of production companies, but I wouldn't know where to start?

I went on a journalism work experience placement. I enjoy writing, but I think why I didn't like it was because I was basically used as free labour. I know that's what a work placement basically is, but the Editor wasn't supportive at all. On the 2nd day, I was left in the office all on my own whilst he went off to interview someone. I thought as good learning experience, he'd have taken me with him to show what it's all like? He never returned that day, never contacted me, never asked how I was doing etc. It wasn't a work placement at all.

I've always kept up with my video/photography work, I get excellent feedback from people, and I've kept a news blog for 6 years and it's got a good following.

With working in retail, if media/TV didn't work out, I wouldn't mind it. I just don't want people to think little of me or look down on me. It feels like that at the moment, but my managers have told me I always do a good job in that too.

Thank you, and sorry for a huge reply!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=2scotty;62901847]Thank you for your replies 😊

Hi

I don't think you answered my questions - which were, essentially, how many TV production companies/post production places have you contacted?

It sounds like none! I know this sounds patronising, but I don't know how else to say it - you are going to have to contact TV production places/post production/kit hire places in Bristol and start trying to make inroads.

If you don't do anything about wanting to work in the media, then they won't come and actually find you - you will have to go to them.

You have stuff to put on your CV - your news blog, your 'video/photography work' whatever this is, your ITV workshop day, your journalism work experience.

Why don't you try and get in?

Where to start - make a big list of all the options open to you - BBC Bristol - all independent production companies, any indies based a bit more south westerly and all the post production houses and kit hire houses in Bristol and go contact them all. Then follow up on your contacts. Then see where you are.

Good luck. It is do-able if you want to do it.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.