Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Revising too late for AQA foundation level maths, need to get D or C with three exams watch

• View Poll Results: What makes you revise?
    To get good skills that help you everday
    30.00%
    To show you have the skills employers expect
    40.00%
    To show your family you do well
    80.00%
    To make yourself proud and accomplish a good career
    80.00%
    To do well in the subject to do a job about the subject
    40.00%
    To make your future better and to show you what you learn is worth the effort
    90.00%
    To show what you learn is worth more than your hobbies to get better life
    10.00%
    To get your learning to improve your life for better opportunities
    70.00%

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I have done a good amount of revision, a few months’worth, 6 to 8 months, asking for homework every day, which is Wednesday and completing the homework on time. Although, since Christmas time and up until now, February, I have not done revision every day. Instead, research for fish and chip shops as well as getting information about IT jobs and searching for jobs daily, wasting time on YouTube watching videos about space, farming,spending time writing on farm forums and fish and chip forums. I regret to say all those enjoyable tasks at five to ten minutes a day should not have gotten too exciting to take up hours, as a result all the learning about IT jobs, YouTube videos on space, farming, farm forums, fish and chip forums have taken much more time.

I should keep track of my time, I should realise the importance of a C grade in Maths is essential for good jobs, to show I can work out percentage discounts for clothes, to manage money, to work out correct change given, measuring area of room, working out material costs, working out items to fit in room, best value for money and much money is essential to living well and are basic skills everyone can use to do better.

I have done a bit of revision between Christmas and February, but I should have been revising every day for three or more hours. Usually, I do homework that takes one hour, then I do three to up to five hours of revision every day.

With the exams in May, I just have two months left, that is little time and I need to pass three exams.

My exams are: Core, Money management and Using Data.

What are your opinions about my silly behaviour?

To make up for lost time, I have been revising at fifteen minute break times, an hour lunch, leaving after eating food for 30 minutes,another 30 minutes for revising. I should have also before revise in bus time going to college that takes fifteen minutes and return home journey, extra fifteen minutes. Now, I am going to revise in the morning on the bus, fifteen minutes and going back home on the bus gives an additional fifteen minutes,meaning 30 minutes more every day.

ReputationRep:
    Well at least you have done some revision
    Regards your 'silly behaviour' you can't change that it's in the past. You now have to focus on the maths, my advice for you is to make sure you know all of the methods and notes off by heart. Once you have have done that go and do a lot of past papers.
    Your biggest mistake was not going over it and going over it every day. So you need to make sure that you keep going over the maths to make sure that it 'sticks'

ReputationRep:
    Keep up revising. Maybe you could gradually increase the revision sessions from 15 minutes up by 5 or 10 minutes every week (but keep the breaks the same). To be honest it's not silly behaviour but just crack down now and you will be happy you did.

Did anyone ever regret working hard?

ReputationRep:
    Mate. You shouldn't do foundation. With ur work ethic you could be aiming for higher with a A\B

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahrobinsxn)
    Well at least you have done some revision
    Regards your 'silly behaviour' you can't change that it's in the past. You now have to focus on the maths, my advice for you is to make sure you know all of the methods and notes off by heart. Once you have have done that go and do a lot of past papers.
    Your biggest mistake was not going over it and going over it every day. So you need to make sure that you keep going over the maths to make sure that it 'sticks'
    Hello hannahrobinsxn,

Thanks for your helpful information to realise my mistake of my interests in beneficial research for fish and chips, IT jobs information, searching for jobs daily, YouTube watching space videos, writing on farm forums and fish and chip forums that grew from ten minutes to more than a few hours is not worth the extra time. As my AQA exams are more important because is needed to get a good job and to work out common tasks like shopping total, discounts, best value for money etc.

I got interest to learn maths, "Well at least you have done some revision " because of totalling shopping, checking for correct change, working out clothes discounts and to find out the complex areas such as: working out items to fit in room, volume of objects, converting currency to see amount of money for holiday etc. I still think I could of done a lot more revision that allows myself to save a year plus another for GCSE maths in the event of failing, but I hope the amount of revision in the short time left I do now is enough for myself to pass and instead save a year to progress onto GCSE Maths.

I get you when saying, "Regards your 'silly behaviour' you can't change that it's in the past", I now realise whilst looking back, the little time left makes myself learn the 2 months time ahead is much better spent on learning AQA maths, to get better chance of passing.

I am going to revise a lot more now, thanks to these good time areas, I aim to revise at bus journeys, 15 minutes there and back to home, total of 30 minutes and additional 30 minutes in one hour lunch break, plus two 15 minute breaks, one in morning and afternoon means 1 hour and 30 minutes. I can get up earlier perhaps 7:00am or 6:00am, work out time to get ready and fit in another hour or two hours revision till leaving time at 9:00am, this means 2 hours, 30 minutes or even 3 hours and 30 minutes, that is good amount of more time in the day. Then, when I am home at 5:00pm, I can revise for another four to five hours, per day.

What are you thoughts on all of that please?

Thanks for taking time to read and look forward to your next, good reply.

ReputationRep:
    hegartymaths is great for GCSE. watch his videos and complete past papers. m4ths is also pretty good.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.