Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    I got an unconditional offer for film and television at LCC, UAL.
    As I am not from the UK, I looked around for information of their reputation and if it is worth spending that kind of money for the education.
    I found quite a few bad things about the uni but most of it is some years old now, and nothing at all from a newer date. Just wondering what you guys know? Is it a good place to study film and television?

ReputationRep:
    I would like to know about this too, as I've got a offer on the Graphic design and media course and finding it hard to get peoples opinions on LCC at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    apply for ravensbourne dude everyone I know who went ual said its garbage

ReputationRep:
    Why is UAL bad? Unis can be very different, not bad just different. It depends on what kind of person you are and how you learn and stuff like that. So I would rather have people writing to me about why things are bad or good, then saying stuff like my friends didn't like it... I am not your friends, it does not really say anything about the uni so I can't really use it for anything.

ReputationRep:
    This is the problem I'm having, some people say it's garbage but some say it's great, some people say Ravensbourne isn't as good as it used to be either and I don't like the dependence on macs (that's the impression I got), I'd really like current students to just give honest opinions and state why they think that.

An besides it's a little bit late for me to apply to other places but I have an offer from Bournemouth aswell but I need to know I'm making the right choice here. I am leaning towards LCC at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    I was on the BA Photography course at LCC however I have recently withdrawn with the intention of studying elsewhere in September. I wouldn't say that LCC is garbage, however it definitely didn't turn out to be what I had expected and it didn't have the university feel that most other places have. My experience will differ from others of course but I personally found the place somewhat unwelcoming, and while the tutors and lecturers there were good, the facilities paled in comparison to other universities I had visited and there were often not enough seats, computers or equipment to go round the class, meaning that people often missed out in workshops.

LCC is a good place to study, and the connections you can get from studying in London can be brilliant and very useful for the future, however for me it just wasn't what I was looking for in a university. There is also the fact that the cost of studying in London is very high and in my view just not worth it when there are other universities out there with better facilities and more contact time. Every course is different and everyone is looking for different things, so I would just say don't base your decision purely on the reputation, as it doesn't really mean anything once you're there. If possible go and see the uni and its facilities before deciding, as only you will know if you'll be happy there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taco12345)
    This is the problem I'm having, some people say it's garbage but some say it's great, some people say Ravensbourne isn't as good as it used to be either and I don't like the dependence on macs (that's the impression I got), I'd really like current students to just give honest opinions and state why they think that.

An besides it's a little bit late for me to apply to other places but I have an offer from Bournemouth aswell but I need to know I'm making the right choice here. I am leaning towards LCC at the moment.
    I totally agree with everything you say taco12345! I am waiting for decisions from Westminster and South Bank as well, so LCC is the only place I am sure I have an offer from. If I have any choice I want to be sure I make the right one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeaWolf)
    I was on the BA Photography course at LCC however I have recently withdrawn with the intention of studying elsewhere in September. I wouldn't say that LCC is garbage, however it definitely didn't turn out to be what I had expected and it didn't have the university feel that most other places have. My experience will differ from others of course but I personally found the place somewhat unwelcoming, and while the tutors and lecturers there were good, the facilities paled in comparison to other universities I had visited and there were often not enough seats, computers or equipment to go round the class, meaning that people often missed out in workshops.

LCC is a good place to study, and the connections you can get from studying in London can be brilliant and very useful for the future, however for me it just wasn't what I was looking for in a university. There is also the fact that the cost of studying in London is very high and in my view just not worth it when there are other universities out there with better facilities and more contact time. Every course is different and everyone is looking for different things, so I would just say don't base your decision purely on the reputation, as it doesn't really mean anything once you're there. If possible go and see the uni and its facilities before deciding, as only you will know if you'll be happy there.
    Thank you so much for your answer! I am actually going to their applicant day in April to visit and see the place one more time. I went on a tour there back in October but didn't have a chance to speak to any current student or faculty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michellebjerg)
    Thank you so much for your answer! I am actually going to their applicant day in April to visit and see the place one more time. I went on a tour there back in October but didn't have a chance to speak to any current student or faculty.

That's great that you're going to an applicant day! Try and see the facilities and where you'll be working most, I arrived late to my interview (oops) and so missed out on seeing anything other than the canteen and library which are both really nice. Definitely try to get some opinions of other students as my experience will be different to everyone else's and there are probably a lot of people who really do enjoy it there.

ReputationRep:
    That's great that you're going to an applicant day! Try and see the facilities and where you'll be working most, I arrived late to my interview (oops) and so missed out on seeing anything other than the canteen and library which are both really nice. Definitely try to get some opinions of other students as my experience will be different to everyone else's and there are probably a lot of people who really do enjoy it there.
    Thanks for giving your view, do you know anything about the Graphic and media design area aswell? Seems to be not many students from this particular course talking about it, really conflicted about what to do.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for giving your view, do you know anything about the Graphic and media design area aswell? Seems to be not many students from this particular course talking about it, really conflicted about what to do.
    I'm afraid I don't know anything about the other courses, sorry. I do know that one of my flat mates had been studying Graphic and Media Design and withdrew just before Christmas, however she never said why she left so it may not have been to do with the course. I was actually the third person in my flat to leave! The thing that I heard most is that people found it hard to make friends within courses because everyone was quite spread out over London and there was no set week for Freshers.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much, I will definitelly do that!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep

Hi Taco12345,

I am a current student from Ravensbourne, and I understand it can be hard to know what vibe you should get about what unis. Interestingly enough I also applied for LCC and I got both, but I just felt the environment at Ravensbourne suited me better as it was more open. Although it seems there is a dependence on Macs, similar vibe that I got when I first came, it doesn't have to be that way if you don't want it to, in fact 80% of my class are windows dominated

At the end of the day everyone has a different look on everything, I highly suggest attending open days for all your choices and getting a feel for it first hand, talk to the students and teachers, know what you're getting into.The course is important, but also the working environment, people and equipment can impact you as well. Wish you the best in upcoming interviews

Jay

ReputationRep:
    I went to one of the colleges a while back. Had an awful of experience and I'm usually a very optimistic person also. I guess everyone is different. Everything about it just wasn't for me. Only loving london

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    University of the Arts London resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.