Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am completely baffled by how we are meant to work out observations of ligand substitutions , if anyone has any tips/rules or even use this question to aid your explanation;e.g. [Cu(H2O)6]^2+(aq) + 4Cl^-(aq) --> [CuCl4]^2-(aq) +6H2O(l) (i)describe the observations that would be made during the addition of the concentrated HCl.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Hardy jacks)
    I am completely baffled by how we are meant to work out observations of ligand substitutions , if anyone has any tips/rules or even use this question to aid your explanation;e.g. [Cu(H2O)6]^2+(aq) + 4Cl^-(aq) --> [CuCl4]^2-(aq) +6H2O(l) (i)describe the observations that would be made during the addition of the concentrated HCl.
    You cannot "work them out", you have to learn them.

In your example the pale blue hexaaqua copper(II) ion accepts chloride ligands and becomes the bright green tetrachlorocuprate(II) complex ion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    You cannot "work them out", you have to learn them.

In your example the pale blue hexaaqua copper(II) ion accepts chloride ligands and becomes the bright green tetrachlorocuprate(II) complex ion.
    Ok that makes sense thank you for your help is there any possibility you have a list of the ones we have to know?

ReputationRep:
    That would depend on your spec. Which is also where you'll find the ones you'll be expected to know listed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    That would depend on your spec. Which is also where you'll find the ones you'll be expected to know listed.
    Awesome thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hardy jacks)
    Awesome thank you very much
    If you are on edexcel the user guide has all the ones you need to know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    If you are on edexcel the user guide has all the ones you need to know
    I'm OCR A Ive found everything about observation of ligand substitutions in the spec hopefully there's nothing else...Name:  image.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  116.0 KB

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.