The Student Room Group

GCSE

So iv heard that Oxford like you to have 7-8 A*s, however iv been wondering if I achieve 6 A*s and then 3 Bs would that not be good enough? OR if i was able to get 7 A*s how important is it that the other two grades are of A grade level? Ill be taking my GCSEs in May and im confident in all subjects but Math and Science (i go to a poor performaning school and teachers in those departments are not as strong) will i still have a chance or are those A*s and As essential? And if they are does anyone have any good advice for quickly boosting my Math and Science grade up? Useful links would be helpful thanks:smile:
Reply 1
Oxford don't focus on GCSE a level performance is what they focus on but having those GCSEs even with Bs is excellent

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Theoretically you shouldn't have too much of a problem but it would depend on the degree you want to do. The fact you go to a poor performing school will go in your favour also.

Is there just no chance you can up one of your B's to an A? It's just because you should really only have a max of 2B's according to my achievement tutor... You should be fine though
Hi, I was wondering, if I were to get a C grade in one subject, 6-9 A*s, 1/2 As, 1 B and 1C, would that C affect getting into Oxford?
Depends on the subject. For medicine, you really need 80%+ at A* to be competitive. Other subjects put varying weight to the number of A*s but in general interviews and admissions tests are more important.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by vincentvangogh
Hi, I was wondering, if I were to get a C grade in one subject, 6-9 A*s, 1/2 As, 1 B and 1C, would that C affect getting into Oxford?

Improving every grade you can helps, of course, but I doubt the C would be crucial in itself, whatever you applied for. The main distinction in most admissions purposes is A* or not A*. A C grade is not an A* but the same is true of a B. Medicine is widely considered to be the most demanding course for GCSE performance - they are clear that they look at the number and proportion of A* grades in an applicant's GCSE record. Changing a C to a B or even an A wouldn't affect either of those measures.
Original post by astro67
Improving every grade you can helps, of course, but I doubt the C would be crucial in itself, whatever you applied for. The main distinction in most admissions purposes is A* or not A*. A C grade is not an A* but the same is true of a B. Medicine is widely considered to be the most demanding course for GCSE performance - they are clear that they look at the number and proportion of A* grades in an applicant's GCSE record. Changing a C to a B or even an A wouldn't affect either of those measures.

Ah, I see now :smile: thank you
Reply 7
Original post by AfcFob
Theoretically you shouldn't have too much of a problem but it would depend on the degree you want to do. The fact you go to a poor performing school will go in your favour also.

Is there just no chance you can up one of your B's to an A? It's just because you should really only have a max of 2B's according to my achievement tutor... You should be fine though

Thats great to hear thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending