This discussion is closed.
Spectre
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I just had a good year averaging As but due to last year and my inability to pass any exams I’ve dropped a few grades finishing with all out Cs

Apparently that’s not bad but personally now I know I can achieve As I’m considering doing more A levels next year rather then going to some medium/low university. I’m planning to study business studies, economics, politics, psychology and possibly law next year.

Assuming I get 2 As and 3 Bs that’s already their intake grades and with my 3 Cs I’d have a huge amount of points, but will university’s ignore this because I’ve taken so many A levels to rack up the points?

My end goal is to apply at Warwick business school, unfortunately after having read what others have been saying I’m not sure they’d offer me a place.

Basically to sum things up would the person that gets 3 As or the person that has 6 Bs be offered a place?
mg84
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Spectre)
I just had a good year averaging As but due to last year and my inability to pass any exams I’ve dropped a few grades finishing with all out Cs

Apparently that’s not bad but personally now I know I can achieve As I’m considering doing more A levels next year rather then going to some medium/low university. I’m planning to study business studies, economics, politics, psychology and possibly law next year.

Assuming I get 2 As and 3 Bs that’s already their intake grades and with my 3 Cs I’d have a huge amount of points, but will university’s ignore this because I’ve taken so many A levels to rack up the points?

My end goal is to apply at Warwick business school, unfortunately after having read what others have been saying I’m not sure they’d offer me a place.

Basically to sum things up would the person that gets 3 As or the person that has 6 Bs be offered a place?
I'm afraid to say that most universities look at your best three grades when making offer rather than points, so I think an applicant with AAA would be preferred to one with BBBBBB. Are your Cs in AS or A2?

Also, you might want to check with the universities that you're planning to apply to about doing Business and Economics A Levels, as many don't make offers including both.
muncrun
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think grades are a more reliable indicator of success. People seem to be adding key skills and general studies onto their a level points score. Can be misleading.
sashh
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Spectre)
I’m planning to study business studies, economics, politics, psychology and possibly law next year.

Do you mean from scratch? Are these your AS grades or A2 that are at C?
If they're A2 the I'd just do 2 or 3 subjects and make sure I got A grades.
Spectre
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
the 3 Cs are A2. I've just completed my A levels but I’d rather give it another shot to get into a better uni then be stuck at a rubbish one.
big mama
Report 15 years ago
I think unis want to see achievement in the subject you plan to study to degree level - so yes 3As are better than 6 Cs.
Some unis specifically state that your A level results must be obtained at one sitting.
Remember tuition fees coming in if you delay too long.
There is nothing wrong with a first from a middle ranking university. If you feel that you can handle a degree course now - go for it.
trev
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
If uni's state points instead of grades, they don't care what combination of grades you get to get the points.
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by trev1122)
If uni's state points instead of grades, they don't care what combination of grades you get to get the points.
This is true unless they specifically state that a subject grade is required (e.g. 280 points including BB and a minimum grade B in <subject>).
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you do not get the A-level grades you want this summer, what is your likely next step?

Take autumn exams (54)
43.9%
Take exams next summer (23)
18.7%
Change uni choice through clearing (30)
24.39%
Apply to uni next year instead (13)
10.57%
I'm not applying to university (3)
2.44%

Watched Threads