Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Points or Grades? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I just had a good year averaging As but due to last year and my inability to pass any exams I’ve dropped a few grades finishing with all out Cs

Apparently that’s not bad but personally now I know I can achieve As I’m considering doing more A levels next year rather then going to some medium/low university. I’m planning to study business studies, economics, politics, psychology and possibly law next year.

Assuming I get 2 As and 3 Bs that’s already their intake grades and with my 3 Cs I’d have a huge amount of points, but will university’s ignore this because I’ve taken so many A levels to rack up the points?

My end goal is to apply at Warwick business school, unfortunately after having read what others have been saying I’m not sure they’d offer me a place.

Basically to sum things up would the person that gets 3 As or the person that has 6 Bs be offered a place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spectre)
    I just had a good year averaging As but due to last year and my inability to pass any exams I’ve dropped a few grades finishing with all out Cs

Apparently that’s not bad but personally now I know I can achieve As I’m considering doing more A levels next year rather then going to some medium/low university. I’m planning to study business studies, economics, politics, psychology and possibly law next year.

Assuming I get 2 As and 3 Bs that’s already their intake grades and with my 3 Cs I’d have a huge amount of points, but will university’s ignore this because I’ve taken so many A levels to rack up the points?

My end goal is to apply at Warwick business school, unfortunately after having read what others have been saying I’m not sure they’d offer me a place.

Basically to sum things up would the person that gets 3 As or the person that has 6 Bs be offered a place?
    I'm afraid to say that most universities look at your best three grades when making offer rather than points, so I think an applicant with AAA would be preferred to one with BBBBBB. Are your Cs in AS or A2?

Also, you might want to check with the universities that you're planning to apply to about doing Business and Economics A Levels, as many don't make offers including both.

ReputationRep:
    I think grades are a more reliable indicator of success. People seem to be adding key skills and general studies onto their a level points score. Can be misleading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spectre)
    I’m planning to study business studies, economics, politics, psychology and possibly law next year.

Do you mean from scratch? Are these your AS grades or A2 that are at C?
    If they're A2 the I'd just do 2 or 3 subjects and make sure I got A grades.

ReputationRep:
    the 3 Cs are A2. I've just completed my A levels but I’d rather give it another shot to get into a better uni then be stuck at a rubbish one.

ReputationRep:
    I think unis want to see achievement in the subject you plan to study to degree level - so yes 3As are better than 6 Cs.
    Some unis specifically state that your A level results must be obtained at one sitting.
    Remember tuition fees coming in if you delay too long.
    There is nothing wrong with a first from a middle ranking university. If you feel that you can handle a degree course now - go for it.

ReputationRep:
    If uni's state points instead of grades, they don't care what combination of grades you get to get the points.

(Original post by trev1122)
    If uni's state points instead of grades, they don't care what combination of grades you get to get the points.
    This is true unless they specifically state that a subject grade is required (e.g. 280 points including BB and a minimum grade B in <subject>).

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.