Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I just went to an interview at the University of Herfordshire for the 3D Animation course.
    I was quite sure I wanted to go to Bournemouth University, but I was really impressed by Herts course.
    However, I thought the area was not nice at all and I don't know if it is worth it.

So, for Herts students:

- How do you manage living there? Do you find yourselves going often to London? Is it a bit depressing living in Hatfield? I've also heard it is a dangerous area.
    - Is it common/possible to get acommodation in a town nearby and travel to uni every day?
    - How is the 3D Animation course? What do you not like about it and what is it good?
    Please honest opinions.

Thank you!!
    Matias

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm currently a final year studying at UH. I don't study 3D Animation but i can answer the questions about Hatfield.

We are split into 2 main campus' (De Havilland, and College Lane) there is student accommodation on both of these sites. Whilst being close to London i don't know of that many people that visit London often. Hatfield is a small town, if your not use to that then it might be a bit off-putting, clearly if your living on campus in first year it will be very different compared to living off campus away from the nightlife of the fourm. Hatfield doesn't have that many clubs for night time , apart from the fourm and the ele house which is on College Lane and Cub De Hav which is on De Hav campus; many students go to clubs in Watford which they provide coaches for. Hatfield is considered to be a univiersty town with the lowest crime rate in the country so i have no idea where you heard it's dangerous (we've had incidents in the past, but they are very rare) You can live in Hatfield in off campus accommidation, our Student Union run LetsSU, a dedicated letting agents for just students , but the town also has a number of estate agents with student housing. Uncommon for first years but much more common for second and third years. The houses off campus are located very close to the univiersty, many tend to live behind the De Havilland Campus and use the free Shuttle to travel between the two (which you'd have to do as your course would bc CL based if you chose to live being De Hav)

if you have any more questions, then feel free to ask them

Luke

ReputationRep:
    Hi Luke!

Thanks for taking the time to answer!

I am not really into clubbing so that is not a problem. My idea was living in a nicer area, and commuting to uni. Is it possible to find accommodatiion maybe in St. Albans or London?

I've heard about incidents with people carrying knives in the area, maybe it is not true?

Thanks,
    Matias

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Clubbing was never my thing either so i totally understand that. I'm not really aware of student accommodation in St,Albans, whilst there's clearly student accommodation in London you do have to consider the cost of living their on top of commuting to Uni. I'm sure if you look on http://student.spareroom.co.uk/ it might be able to show the options. We had one major incident on the De Havilland Campus last year (But that was a suicide of a student who was going through serious issues) and since then we've only really had the police on campus to deal with drunk people fighting really, (typical Uni thing really)

if you have any more questions, then feel free to ask them

Luke

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.