Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

So I got 4 Conditional Offers from Birmingham, QMUL, Surrey, and Warwick for Economics. (Got rejected by LSE, as expected). Warwick's conditions are A*AA while the rest are AAA.

I got AABBC for my AS Levels, and am doing the three subjects I got AAB in to A Levels. Now, I'm confused on which one to make my firm and which one to make my insurance. Does anyone know the odds of still being accepted even if I miss a grade?

Any and all advice/opinions are welcomed!

ReputationRep:
    Given that Warwick is one of the top economics schools I would say it is unlikely. It varies from university to university and subject to subject and it is also different for different years. Basically no one knows until the results are out and that includes the universities themselves. If for that year they have more applicants that have reached these grades than they have places then they will turn you down. If they don't have enough applicants getting those grades they will consider a dropped grade to make up their numbers. If they have more people with the right grades than places they have to find places for everyone that have met their offer.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely choose Warwick. It's miles better than the rest of e ones you applied to.

ReputationRep:
    My guess would be places that are usually put as people's insurance choice will be lenient with grades - so QMUL and Surrey are probably good bets on being able to miss a grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swanseajack1)
    Given that Warwick is one of the top economics schools I would say it is unlikely. It varies from university to university and subject to subject and it is also different for different years. Basically no one knows until the results are out and that includes the universities themselves. If for that year they have more applicants that have reached these grades than they have places then they will turn you down. If they don't have enough applicants getting those grades they will consider a dropped grade to make up their numbers. If they have more people with the right grades than places they have to find places for everyone that have met their offer.
    Thanks so much for this info! I'm probably going to Firm Warwick, but any advice on which one for my insurance?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Trapz99 and jamestg for replying! Any opinions for which uni I should make my insurance? I'm probably going to firm Warwick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adriansjahid)
    Thanks Trapz99 and jamestg for replying! Any opinions for which uni I should make my insurance? I'm probably going to firm Warwick
    Depends. Just choose it based on whether you'll enjoy the experience there. The course quality for all of them is pretty similar so don't choose one based on that, although I've heard that Birmingham is pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adriansjahid)
    Thanks so much for this info! I'm probably going to Firm Warwick, but any advice on which one for my insurance?
    To be honest I think you should have had at least 1 uni offering AAB. However that is too late now. It also depend on how likely you are to get AAA. If you are very likely to get that go the one you fancy most. You could do that anyway and if you fall below look at clearing. The evidence from previous years is that there are likely to be some good unis in clearing for most subjects including Economics. It is extremely difficult to advise someone on university choice as what suits one person might not suit another. Things to consider are course content and where you will be happiest. How far from do you wish to be. Do you want to be in a big city or not. How do you feel about the pace of life in London. Maybe you should go on visit days to see which you prefer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.