Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Roughly, what is the average cost of owning a car?
    What is a good first car to buy, roughly under £2k, what should I look for in a car that will last me 2-5 years?

Purchase cost =

Annual mileage =
    Annual road tax =
    Annual service =
    Insurance =
    Breakdown =
    Maintenance =

Should I be looking at a figure like ~5k per year?

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/c...nning-car.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrojanH)
    What is a good first car to buy, roughly under £2k, what should I look for in a car that will last me 2-5 years?

Purchase cost =

Annual mileage =
    Annual road tax =
    Annual service =
    Insurance =
    Breakdown =
    Maintenance =

It's difficult to even give a rough figure as it's depend on the car, person and area they live in. What I pay in total for my car may just about the insurance cost for your car if you live in a undesirable area for insurance companies. Also depends on how handy you are as it can save you a lot in maintenance and services.

Purchase cost = £4500 Fiat 500

Annual mileage = 3500 (Approx)
    Annual road tax = £20
    Annual service = £180 from Fiat £45 done myself
    Insurance = £700 per year
    Breakdown = free
    Maintenance = say £120 for a brand new set of tyres and £80 for new brakes although you probably wont need to change them in a year.

ReputationRep:
    How long is a piece of string?

I don't think you'd struggle buying a car and putting it on the road for a couple of grand. I've done it several times for less than £500.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    How long is a piece of string?

I don't think you'd struggle buying a car and putting it on the road for a couple of grand. I've done it several times for less than £500.
    50cm, thanks for the insightful and original response!

ReputationRep:
    Driving 5000 miles costs about £550 in petrol based on my back of the envelope calculation which involves a lot of rounding and assuming that every car does 40mpg all the time. Servicing and MOT whatever you can get for £2k will probably cost £200 or so once a year. Then add another £200 for non-routine maintenance that can spring up. Road tax is like £100 give or take for your average hatchback. Insurance depends on who you are but after five years of driving it should be well under £500.

So adding the cost of the car over 4 years you're probably looking at something like £2.5-3k a year to stay on the road and drive a pretty reasonable amount.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrojanH)

Purchase cost =

Annual mileage =
    Annual road tax =
    Annual service =
    Insurance =
    Breakdown =
    Maintenance =

Its impossible to say. Things like the cost of the car depend entirely on how much you want to spend on a car. Insurance can vary wildly as well (depending on location, type of car, named drivers, level of cover etc).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 22, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.