Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Many people say on TSR that past papers are imperative for success and I have completed lots of them. Although I'm wondering what I should do next: correct the answers and memorise them or leave it and move on? Also, before I sat the past papers (which I did recently) should I have done any revision in advance?

Without revision in two AQA Chemistry Unit 1 papers, I got As on both but was reluctant when it came to correcting/reviewing my answers and so I left it.

How can past papers be used effectively to attain the top grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie Vardy)
    Many people say on TSR that past papers are imperative for success and I have completed lots of them. Although I'm wondering what I should do next: correct the answers and memorise them or leave it and move on? Also, before I sat the past papers (which I did recently) should I have done any revision in advance?

Without revision in two AQA Chemistry Unit 1 papers, I got As on both but was reluctant when it came to correcting/reviewing my answers and so I left it.

It's mainly for application of knowledge. You can know everything and still get a mediocre grade but if you are good at application you can hit those top grades.

1) do the past paper
    2) mark it
    3) revise the topic you didn't do so well on
    4) reapeat the paper again to rectify your mistakes
    5) reapet 1-4 until you get 100% on the paper

* Also try and do it in times conditions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aamirac)
    1) do the past paper
    2) mark it
    3) revise the topic you didn't do so well on
    4) reapeat the paper again to rectify your mistakes
    5) reapet 1-4 until you get 100% on the paper

* Also try and do it in times conditions
    Good advice, thank you!

ReputationRep:

Past papers are good because you will know exactly what the examiner is looking for in terms of wording/strucutre of an answer.
    I feel the educational system is flawed in a sense that different exam boards require different wordings of things which are technically right for someone to gain marks.
    So you need to be familiar with how the mark scheme is and what the trends in the questions they may ask.
    Maybe if you had corrected your answers and then learn from it you'll be getting A*'s and not just A's? Past paper correction is so important, this is coming from someone who is doing A level Chemistry and got an A* at GCSE chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    Doing past papers works best for me if I have a mixture of ones that I do as if it were a real exam and ones which are more open-book. That way I can find out exactly what I need to put into my answers to get the marks as well as testing myself to find out what I don't know. Works well.

ReputationRep:

Complete past paper
    Mark
    Correct mistakes
    Revise areas you made mistakes and do some extra work in that area
    Redo question you got wrong
    Cycle begins

This cycle should only start once you feel comfortable and have revised EVERYTHING

ReputationRep:
    I'd say revise all topics from that subject from your notes, videos etc and then (without the mark scheme) try do the past papers the best you can near the day of the exam. Then mark them, make note of what the right answers are and revise those topics again! Good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.