Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can someone explain a law degree? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I think law is what I want to study in uni, but I dont understand what you study over the 3/4 years. Can someone explain?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadCow_)
    I think law is what I want to study in uni, but I dont understand what you study over the 3/4 years. Can someone explain?
    I don't study law but I do have a module in law.
    We study the different aspects of law such as tort law/civil law/criminal law and law&legal process. We learn about citations and how court cases are worded which I found quite interesting. As part of an assignment, we had to go to a magistrate and crown court so you of course learn the difference between the two. We mainly focus on criminal law and sentencing in criminal court procedures. Also learn how evidence is broken down into categories. We had another assignment on a rape case and we had to conclude whether we feel the man is guilty or not based on the evidence presented, that was quite fun.
    I don't know much help this is but yeah. Would be best for you to have a look at the modules on the unis you're interested in. The 3/4 years will be broken down and it'll show you exactly what you'll be learning in that time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    I don't study law but I do have a module in law.
    We study the different aspects of law such as tort law/civil law/criminal law and law&legal process. We learn about citations and how court cases are worded which I found quite interesting. As part of an assignment, we had to go to a magistrate and crown court so you of course learn the difference between the two. We mainly focus on criminal law and sentencing in criminal court procedures. Also learn how evidence is broken down into categories. We had another assignment on a rape case and we had to conclude whether we feel the man is guilty or not based on the evidence presented, that was quite fun.
    I don't know much help this is but yeah. Would be best for you to have a look at the modules on the unis you're interested in. The 3/4 years will be broken down and it'll show you exactly what you'll be learning in that time
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    look at the modules on a university website...

ReputationRep:
    Every qualifying law degree requires for you to have studied the seven foundation modules: criminal, contract, constitutional & administrative, EU, land, equity & trusts, tort. Alongside these modules, your university may require you to study some other modules, perhaps career or legal practice modules. The rest then will be optional modules which you choose according to your taste and perhaps career aspirations. Such modules might be family law, commercial, Sharia law (depending on the uni), and many other options.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 21, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.