Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cameron's "deal" is a rebranding decided upon ages ago Watch

ReputationRep:
    Harold Wilson tipped the EEC referendum by coming up with a "special deal" for the UK just before the referendum. Cameron's team know from the Scot's referendum that this works and planned the same approach to the EU referendum months or even years ago:
    http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/...cle1571869.ece

Basically he is an ex-PR man taking the piss. Especially given that the EU Parliament will need to ratify the deal after the referendum - ie: its not even a deal.

ReputationRep:
    They'll do everything to stop people leaving the EU.

ReputationRep:
    I agree but he has got some improvements and he has got the EU talking about the right things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    I agree but he has got some improvements and he has got the EU talking about the right things.
    he's rearranged the deckchairs on the titanic...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    What improvements are these, exactly, because last I read the document pretty much all he managed to get was a saving of £25m a year in a few years, such incredible improvements!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This deal isn't going to sway and leave voters to stay. It's a joke. I can't decide whether rushing the vote will result in a stay due to people not understanding the alternative due to low amount of campaign time, or whether it will result in an exit due to Cameron's pathetic deal. Either way he is playing a dangerous game.

I am in favour of an exit and I've yet to hear a convincing argument to stay, and this deal is full of lol. What would turn me into a stay voter is a deal that is worth the paper it's written on - keep trying Cameron.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephiroth)
    This deal isn't going to sway and leave voters to stay. It's a joke. I can't decide whether rushing the vote will result in a stay due to people not understanding the alternative due to low amount of campaign time, or whether it will result in an exit due to Cameron's pathetic deal. Either way he is playing a dangerous game.

I am in favour of an exit and I've yet to hear a convincing argument to stay, and this deal is full of lol. What would turn me into a stay voter is a deal that is worth the paper it's written on - keep trying Cameron.
    There can be no convincing argument for the EU if you sympathise with your neighbours. A country must be governed for the sake of those who have to stay, not for a mobile, educated class.

The trouble is that the Treaties are about ever closer union. "Ever closer union" is mentioned in the preambles to the Treaties that tell us what they are about. What Cameron has done, being a PR man, is to remove the wrappers that told us the intention of the treaties. He hopes that the British voter is so stupid that this will fool them.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 21, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.