The Student Room Group

What do you need to know for College/6th Form?

Next year I'll be starting in either a College or 6th Form... is there any useful information I should know about?

Things like student discounts, A-Levels, admission stuff to Uni, etc.
I found the jump from GCSE to A Level was huge and you are expected to be more independent. You'd get given a student card generally and most places accept this for a student discount. Many places (such as Ryman) do advertise their student discount. I think some don't and I personally just ask.
If you want to go to uni and already know what course you want to apply for, try to start doing stuff relating to the subject. Books, study/taster days and summer schools are a few examples. You don't want to find yourself in year 13 with nothing to include in your personal statement.
The jump from GCSE to as wasn't as hard as the jump from as to a2. Just saying

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have lots of books and pens at the ready
A good space where you can revise
Be willing to do 16 hours of work outside the classroom each week, if you want decent results
Follow the specification for your exam - pls do not rely on your teacher or the text book to tell you everything
Keep on top of your notes and make sure you understand the content there and then - so when it comes to revising it becomes alot easier
Student discount is available by simply showing your college/6th form card
Attend uni open days
Do some research in six weeks holidays and choose what a levels you want to do to your chosen career and most of all enjoy it :tongue: :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest