Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I know that there have been threads on this before but most are quite old and I just really need some clear advice regarding what to do

In August of 2015, I left UEA to transfer to Newcastle University. I'm doing the same course at ncl, I've moved into Year 2 and I completed my first academic year. I received notification a little while after my withdrawal from the Student Loans Company, informing me that I'd an 'overpayment of grant' of £611. After a load of phone calls, one member of staff whom I spoke to at Student Finance assured me that once my application for funding had gone through for my next academic year, my 'withdrawal' would change to a transfer on the systems and the overpayment error would be fixed - she very firmly told me not to pay anything. As far as I knew, my problem had been sorted.

A few weeks ago however, CCS (the debt collection agency which the Student Loan Company apparently transfer overpayments to) got in touch with me about repayment. I hadn't heard anything until then from the Student Loans Company to suggest that I still owed this money.I got my account put on hold with CCS to give me some time to sort the problem out, but almost two weeks later I'm still stuck.First of all, I realised that on the form I'd submitted to UEA I'd written my last day of attendance as the 30th May (as this was my last timetabled day). I was told by Student Finance that as my withdrawal date wasn't the official end of term, I had to pay the grant awarded to me for between May and September. I was told that if I had this date changed to the end of term by UEA, I would be reassessed and the problem should sort itself out (as I've been in education for exactly the same amount of time as I would've been if I'd stayed for my second year of study at UEA).

I had this date changed last week to the 5th June, the official end of term. My reassessment came through as promised but all it's done is deduct £39 from my overpayment, which now stands at £572.I really need some help here, I've done everything that I've been advised to do and nobody that I phone seems to actually know how to fix the situation. I'm positive that I shouldn't have to pay this money but I'm really losing hope! If somebody could please help me I'd appreciate it so much, it's really worrying me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cliffysbiro)
    Hi, I know that there have been threads on this before but most are quite old and I just really need some clear advice regarding what to do

In August of 2015, I left UEA to transfer to Newcastle University. I'm doing the same course at ncl, I've moved into Year 2 and I completed my first academic year. I received notification a little while after my withdrawal from the Student Loans Company, informing me that I'd an 'overpayment of grant' of £611. After a load of phone calls, one member of staff whom I spoke to at Student Finance assured me that once my application for funding had gone through for my next academic year, my 'withdrawal' would change to a transfer on the systems and the overpayment error would be fixed - she very firmly told me not to pay anything. As far as I knew, my problem had been sorted.

A few weeks ago however, CCS (the debt collection agency which the Student Loan Company apparently transfer overpayments to) got in touch with me about repayment. I hadn't heard anything until then from the Student Loans Company to suggest that I still owed this money.I got my account put on hold with CCS to give me some time to sort the problem out, but almost two weeks later I'm still stuck.First of all, I realised that on the form I'd submitted to UEA I'd written my last day of attendance as the 30th May (as this was my last timetabled day). I was told by Student Finance that as my withdrawal date wasn't the official end of term, I had to pay the grant awarded to me for between May and September. I was told that if I had this date changed to the end of term by UEA, I would be reassessed and the problem should sort itself out (as I've been in education for exactly the same amount of time as I would've been if I'd stayed for my second year of study at UEA).

I had this date changed last week to the 5th June, the official end of term. My reassessment came through as promised but all it's done is deduct £39 from my overpayment, which now stands at £572.I really need some help here, I've done everything that I've been advised to do and nobody that I phone seems to actually know how to fix the situation. I'm positive that I shouldn't have to pay this money but I'm really losing hope! If somebody could please help me I'd appreciate it so much, it's really worrying me.
    The third payment student finance give you is meant to be for the period from the start of the summer term to September. Therefore if you withdrew from UEA before September and didn't start at Newcastle until September then you weren't a student for a couple of months and consequently student finance overpaid you. Therefore as I see it student finance are entitled to ask for the overpayment to be repaid. If you can't afford it in one lump sum you can arrange to pay back a smaller amount.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    The third payment student finance give you is meant to be for the period from the start of the summer term to September. Therefore if you withdrew from UEA before September and didn't start at Newcastle until September then you weren't a student for a couple of months and consequently student finance overpaid you. Therefore as I see it student finance are entitled to ask for the overpayment to be repaid. If you can't afford it in one lump sum you can arrange to pay back a smaller amount.
    I understand that but that's not what happened, my transfer went through in August after I already had a secured place at Newcastle. This aside, SFE themselves have agreed that in the case of a transfer this wouldn't ordinarily be money that I should owe. I've also come across one or two other threads where people in the same situation have had their overpayment voided, so I know it's not right for me to just agree to pay this. I can't afford it but that shouldn't matter, even if I could I shouldn't have to pay it!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.