Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi guys, I'm currently studying Biology, Chemistry and french with the hope of going on to study medicine at uni. My academic tutor has advised me that writing an extended essay would be a great thing to do; though it wont help me with my actual application it will help me with my writing skills (as i'll have written the sort of essay constantly needed to be written at uni) and because it may give me a greater scope of discussion at interviews. the problem at the moment is that i can't come up with a solid question to do with medicine. ive tried making a spider diagram to try and narrow my foundation ideas of "doctors" and "treatments" but am yet to decide on a single question! PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME HAHA!!!

ReputationRep:
    do you have any rough areas you want to talk about?

are you thinking specifics like neurology, pathology etc?

ReputationRep:
    Try putting a question into Google scholar to see if there is plenty of research and literature for you to analyse and draw conclusions from. If you want to use contemporary media reports too you could try looking at questions around things like:

Relationships between "never events" and staffing levels
    Hours worked by junior doctors in Europe vs USA
    Anti-vaxxers and the involvement of social media/lay person reporting
    Antibiotic resistance
    And hot potato - meningitis b vaccine availability on the NHS.

Literature searches and reviews are a key part of undergrad study. Being able to source, evaluate and draw conclusions from a variety resources is an excellent skill to pick up. Have a go at Harvard style referencing too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kelefi)
    do you have any rough areas you want to talk about?

are you thinking specifics like neurology, pathology etc?
    i'm thinking of going on to study neurology or orthopedics and am actually currently doing work experience on the orthopedics ward??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quilverine)
    Try putting a question into Google scholar to see if there is plenty of research and literature for you to analyse and draw conclusions from. If you want to use contemporary media reports too you could try looking at questions around things like:

Relationships between "never events" and staffing levels
    Hours worked by junior doctors in Europe vs USA
    Anti-vaxxers and the involvement of social media/lay person reporting
    Antibiotic resistance
    And hot potato - meningitis b vaccine availability on the NHS.

Literature searches and reviews are a key part of undergrad study. Being able to source, evaluate and draw conclusions from a variety resources is an excellent skill to pick up. Have a go at Harvard style referencing too.
    i just don't want my whole essay to have come from other sources and nothing of my own knowledge or understanding. i understand that ill have to use books and papers as sources but to base the question on something from someone elses work would surely mean im constantly going to be going back to what theyve wrote before.... if you understand what i mean?? aha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacobj1998)
    i just don't want my whole essay to have come from other sources and nothing of my own knowledge or understanding. i understand that ill have to use books and papers as sources but to base the question on something from someone elses work would surely mean im constantly going to be going back to what theyve wrote before.... if you understand what i mean?? aha
    Choose whatever question you like, what I meant was if you went for something mondo obscure you'll struggle to find a good amount of published/peer reviewed sources. You may find that exact question you come up with has been answered by thousands but it doesn't make it invalid. You demonstate your knowledge and understanding through your interpretationand how well you communicate within the essay

Are you in a position to conduct any original research? Perhaps get stats from an employer or mentor. If you're being anecdotal then be reflective, the NHS loves reflective practice. Be wary of presenting your opinion as fact - the idea of literature searches is to show that there are valid sources that corroborate your point of view AND potentially dispute/question it. A nicely balanced essay would address multiple perspectives.

And until you're doing a PhD you'll be doing a lot of reviewing other people's research. I wrote an essay on fertility treatment for a second year physiology assignment that got a very high first, I never set foot in a clinic. It was based on 30 papers and books published over the last 15 years. It was a bit of an eye opener really, undergrad is way more focussed on building a skillset than producing a body of research.

Find something that interests you enjoy all the New things you'll discover along the way. Can your tutor provide you with a marking grid so you can see exactly what is expected of you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quilverine)
    Choose whatever question you like, what I meant was if you went for something mondo obscure you'll struggle to find a good amount of published/peer reviewed sources. You may find that exact question you come up with has been answered by thousands but it doesn't make it invalid. You demonstate your knowledge and understanding through your interpretationand how well you communicate within the essay

Are you in a position to conduct any original research? Perhaps get stats from an employer or mentor. If you're being anecdotal then be reflective, the NHS loves reflective practice. Be wary of presenting your opinion as fact - the idea of literature searches is to show that there are valid sources that corroborate your point of view AND potentially dispute/question it. A nicely balanced essay would address multiple perspectives.

And until you're doing a PhD you'll be doing a lot of reviewing other people's research. I wrote an essay on fertility treatment for a second year physiology assignment that got a very high first, I never set foot in a clinic. It was based on 30 papers and books published over the last 15 years. It was a bit of an eye opener really, undergrad is way more focussed on building a skillset than producing a body of research.

Find something that interests you enjoy all the New things you'll discover along the way. Can your tutor provide you with a marking grid so you can see exactly what is expected of you?
    thankyou so much so helpful and i'll ask my tutor for a mark scheme! do you think it would be acceptable to form a question on hip replacements or something along that line as ive seen 6 hours of hip replacements this week?? or would you say this is too vague and a rubbish topic??..

ReputationRep:
    What interested you in the procedure? You could probably find a lot on surgical technique, evolution of the procedure/materials used, contraindications and patient satisfication post surgery. The person you were shadowing may have audited outcomes, you could compare anonymous data to national averages? Just have a read around and see what excites you. I would consider history, technology, risk, patient satisfaction and then go with whatever I most enjoyed learning about.

If you're allowed to write a reflective essay maybe you could reflect on your experiences in theatre. You can still put plenty of scientific references and analysis into reflections. It could be a good exercise anyway. Write a reflection and save it for when you finish first year/graduate/complete foundation and see what's changed. Also ask the surgeon very nicely if they could write a reference/letter of recommendation/confirmation of hours for you. It could be useful for your application.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.