Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

So i'm taking AS-level biology and i'm completely new in this subject as this is my first year taking it, i was a commerce student last year..I've got my boards on June and i'm a bit confused if i should take bio or drop it. What is your opinion? will i be able to learn it within few months? is it hard to score marks in bio?

ReputationRep:
    Tbh it is a difficult subject which requires a lot of your time, dedication and determination You can get A* in the subject by doing nothing and slacking, you need to revise throughout the year and refresh all topics. make sure you understand everything because if you don't your more likely to struggle because you are not properly understanding the subject so it is hard but most a levels are. You get out what
    you put in tbh.
    Hope that helped Xx

ReputationRep:
    It's an interesting but broad subject. Some parts would bore you while some would not. The key to Biology in my opinion is your teacher. It's really the way it's taught that makes all the difference. A teacher who just parrots out the material would spell disaster. And the papers are heavily How Science Works (HSW) based and for a Biology paper it is refreshingly NOT memory intensive or testing - something that can frustrate those who spend more time on trying to swallow the stuff rather than understanding and reading more into it.

It's hard to say how you'll take the subject since it's the first time you'll be taking it. If you can do it - try testing it for a month or two - or go through the textbooks and the past papers and see how much you are comfortable with them. The Edexcel revision guide is a good place to start and end your studies in this subject.

And yes, it's perfectly O.K to start with Biology AS even without having done Biology before;the specification does not require much stuff to have been prelearned. There is very little to no Human Biology (that's a different subject altogether), and most concepts are studied without much reference to previous material.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sciatic)
    It's an interesting but broad subject. Some parts would bore you while some would not. The key to Biology in my opinion is your teacher. It's really the way it's taught that makes all the difference. A teacher who just parrots out the material would spell disaster. And the papers are heavily How Science Works (HSW) based and for a Biology paper it is refreshingly NOT memory intensive or testing - something that can frustrate those who spend more time on trying to swallow the stuff rather than understanding and reading more into it.

It's hard to say how you'll take the subject since it's the first time you'll be taking it. If you can do it - try testing it for a month or two - or go through the textbooks and the past papers and see how much you are comfortable with them. The Edexcel revision guide is a good place to start and end your studies in this subject.

And yes, it's perfectly O.K to start with Biology AS even without having done Biology before;the specification does not require much stuff to have been prelearned. There is very little to no Human Biology (that's a different subject altogether), and most concepts are studied without much reference to previous material.
    Have you done a Maths A Level? My younger sister is choosing A Levels and she's thinking about doing Maths however she not sure if its too hard for her. She does get good grades an is predicted a B in GCSEs

ReputationRep:

Oh alright ! thank you so much ! i actually don't have much time because i'm having my board exam on june and have to decide now if i should take it or not, and i have a doubt...do i have to learn everything that's on my textbook or just follow the Edexcel specification??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siidrraah)
    Tbh it is a difficult subject which requires a lot of your time, dedication and determination You can get A* in the subject by doing nothing and slacking, you need to revise throughout the year and refresh all topics. make sure you understand everything because if you don't your more likely to struggle because you are not properly understanding the subject so it is hard but most a levels are. You get out what
    you put in tbh.
    Hope that helped Xx
    Oh, i have done bio for a week and it's actually a really interesting subject but tbh honest i've got only 4 months left for my board exam and im worried if i'd do well in biology or not..but do i have to learn everything or just what's on the edexcel specification?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanna423)
    Oh alright ! thank you so much ! i actually don't have much time because i'm having my board exam on june and have to decide now if i should take it or not, and i have a doubt...do i have to learn everything that's on my textbook or just follow the Edexcel specification??
    No, don't learn everything in the textbook! You don't have to even have to read the textbook. I didn't even touch the textbook but ended up with an A* for Biology.

However you should have the Biology revision guide - it's very very useful as it summarises the topics and sticks to the specs. Stick to the specs. Do all the past papers and go through the marking schemes really well and learn how to answer questions. The examiners' guides are also very useful.

Do not waste time going through the textbook - all the more because you don't have much time.

(Original post by siidrraah)
    Have you done a Maths A Level? My younger sister is choosing A Levels and she's thinking about doing Maths however she not sure if its too hard for her. She does get good grades an is predicted a B in GCSEs
    I did all the three Maths subjects - and tbh I feel everyone has to do at least Maths AS - as its not too hard and would give you some idea as to what Maths can do.

B is enough a good grade. She can study Maths as much as possible, but if she is finding it hard she can take Maths AS only.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No, don't learn everything in the textbook! You don't have to even have to read the textbook. I didn't even touch the textbook but ended up with an A* for Biology.

However you should have the Biology revision guide - it's very very useful as it summarises the topics and sticks to the specs. Stick to the specs. Do all the past papers and go through the marking schemes really well and learn how to answer questions. The examiners' guides are also very useful.

Do not waste time going through the textbook - all the more because you don't have much time.

I did all the three Maths subjects - and tbh I feel everyone has to do at least Maths AS - as its not too hard and would give you some idea as to what Maths can do.

B is enough a good grade. She can study Maths as much as possible, but if she is finding it hard she can take Maths AS only.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you so much for the advice !! Really appriciate it ! if it's alright could you send me the link or pic of the Revision guide and Examiners guide books PLEASE? is it the (Edexcel AS biology revision guide red and green book?)

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for the advice !! Really appriciate it ! if it's alright could you send me the link or pic of the Revision guide and Examiners guide books PLEASE? is it the (Edexcel AS biology revision guide red and green book?)
    It's available here.

The examiner's guides come with the marking schemes for each pastpaper. They are available here for download. You can go through them along with the marking schemes when doing pastpapers. They give loads of tips and comments as well as model and weak answers. The most recent ones would be locked, but you can access the ones written for the previous papers. (There won't be examiner's guides for the R international papers due to insufficient entries).

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

So i'm taking AS-level biology and i'm completely new in this subject as this is my first year taking it, i was a commerce student last year..I've got my boards on June and i'm a bit confused if i should take bio or drop it. What is your opinion? will i be able to learn it within few months? is it hard to score marks in bio?
    4 months to cover Biology is not adequate - it will be a long stretch to get more than a C.

ReputationRep:
    It's available here.

The examiner's guides come with the marking schemes for each pastpaper. They are available here for download. You can go through them along with the marking schemes when doing pastpapers. They give loads of tips and comments as well as model and weak answers. The most recent ones would be locked, but you can access the ones written for the previous papers. (There won't be examiner's guides for the R international papers due to insufficient entries).
    Sciatic,

The Edexcel A level Biology syllabus has changed this academic year so those links may be a little outdated for Hanna423

ReputationRep:
    It's available here.

Thank u again !! did u do the 2008 specification? cause i'll be doing 2008 one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philip-flop)
    Sciatic,

The Edexcel A level Biology syllabus has changed this academic year so those links may be a little outdated for Hanna423
    I'm doing the 2008 specification..so will it work for me? :/

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the 2008 specification..so will it work for me? :/
    Then yes, that'll correlate to the correct syllabus for you Hanna
    But Hanna, Biology is not something you can learn/memorise in a couple of nights you will have to learn bit by bit and try to recall what you've learnt every now and then to jog your memory! I'm learning the new syllabus and am still having trouble remembering concepts

Also, I apologise Sciatic for my lack of awareness in this post!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philip-flop)
    Then yes, that'll correlate to the correct syllabus for you Hanna
    But Hanna, Biology is not something you can learn/memorise in a couple of nights you will have to learn bit by bit and try to recall what you've learnt every now and then to jog your memory! I'm learning the new syllabus and am still having trouble remembering concepts

Also, I apologise Sciatic for my lack of awareness in this post!
    Oh i see i did few chapters and i seem to enjoy the subject as i've got an amazing tutor , but i've got only 3 months to stick everything in my brain, my other option is to drop Bio and take Business but i really wanted to do bio.. :/

ReputationRep:
    Oh i see i did few chapters and i seem to enjoy the subject as i've got an amazing tutor , but i've got only 3 months to stick everything in my brain, my other option is to drop Bio and take Business but i really wanted to do bio.. :/
    If you enjoy BIology more than Business then the stuff you learn will be remembered easier I recon! I think you may still have time if you really commit yourself! You won't have a lot of time to write notes but just look at the specification and write important parts about each section! Then a month before the exam do as many past paper questions as possible!

Can I ask why it has taken you until now to decide what subjects to sit in the summer? Are you home-schooled for any chance?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.