The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics MPC3 Core 3 - Wednesday 15th June 2016 [Official Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vilifyme
At no point did I say I blamed the exam board on my failures. Sure the exam was f*cking hard but that doesn't mean it's AQA fault, nevertheless that doesn't mean I can't be mad. A lot of it is my failure to apply spec knowledge. I came out of the exam and realised how to a question and literally solved it in my head. 5 marks down the drain because I couldn't see the solution. What I'm saying is, performance in this exam is directly or even remotely correlated with the intelligence of a person. On a side note, your attitude towards other definitely needs work, no matter how good you think you did in am exam. I'm sure I will make a great doctor because I did great in interview, have great interpersonal skills and am mature and respectful to others, unlike you. Good luck with the rest of your exams and trying to integrate into society and a workplace with that attitude of yours :smile:

Well at least you now know where you have gone wrong. Now you should hopefully do better in your other exams. I accept your apology and your welcome, I'm happy my advice got into your brain. Now lets hope that the material for your other exams gets into your brain as well. We don't want to see you scraping by on other exam discussions.

Original post by gcsekid
Listen STFU and get ur arse of this forum. You've failed core 3 10 times and finally realised ur the dumb **** and the exam board isnt to blame. Some of are sitting our first A2 core 3 exam, so we have full rights to compare papers relative to others. As for you you've said that for 9/10 papers so thought ud just say its easy and troll amd fail again on results day. Now go lern core 4 so u dont have to resit that for an 11th time like u will for core 3.

I am 17 and this is also my first time, just google search 2015, 2014, 2013 AQA C3 discussions and people like you will be there.
Hi,
see below
I'm complaining about this exam, if enough people complain.. they might get the message about how wrong this is... shifting the goal posts year to year..

To : [email protected]
I have a complaint as regards the year by year inconsistency of the AQA A Level Maths Core 3 exam paper. This morning (15/06/2016) I sat the Core 3 exam paper and the amount of work and complexity of work required in the time given was significantly more than previous years for each mark awarded.Since I spent a lot of time preparing for this exam from previous year's papers and this year it was a lot, lot harder. Talking to my fellows students this was an opinion shared universally. It seems to me deeply unfair that past papers on a subject do not reflect that amount of work that we will face as students in the actual exam itself. I must make it clear, it is not topic coverage I have a complaint about but the amount of work that was expected in the time given. I would like AQA to re-visit their exam moderation procedure and try and improve the constancy year to year so that students can have a reasonable expectation of what is expected. Past papers are used widely by students as practise and moving the level so much higher without notice undermines this part of the revision.If the exam has to be increased in difficulty for reasons of improving the quality of the assessment, in the interests of fairness a mock exam of the same level should be set by AQA and released to institutions so that students can be prepared. At a bare minimum Maths teachers should be given guidance that the level of the exam is to be made harder and how much work the student will be expected to do in the final exam.Another possibility is that if the workload of a given exam is to increased the amount of time allowed so that students with the ability can at least have time to complete the paper.
Original post by Pablo Picasso
Just spoke to the head of Maths in my school, who also works for AQA, he said that many people who thought it was hard were merely exaggerating, and the grade boundaries will likely not move from the previous years' iteration. He predicts thus

A* 65
A 61
B 56
C 53

He also said he thought that none of the questions were new or weirdly written, so i guess the grade boundaries will remain standard

Exactly. Common sense at last.
Just spoke to the head of Maths in my school, who also works for AQA, he said that many people who thought it was hard were merely exaggerating, and the grade boundaries will likely not move from the previous years' iteration. He predicts thus

A* 65
A 61
B 56
C 53

He also said he thought that none of the questions were new or weirdly written, so i guess the grade boundaries will remain standard

My further maths teacher also works for AQA, she said basically the same.... Any thoughts on what full ums will be?
Original post by mattyt307
I got x<-6 x>3 and 1<x<2 lol

Me too
Reply 825
If you get a U from one module do you no get an overall maths grade?

Pls someone answer
Everyone who thought it was hard, you have yourself to blame. As one has already mentionned, AQA are not liable for your own failure. Failure to prepare = failure. You do not deserve a university place if you do not understand the questions you were being asked.
Original post by utilitymaker
Exactly. Common sense at last.

I guess if you are head of maths... you are not likely to find paper are you..
Original post by Berke0

Pls someone answer

I don't think you should be doing A-levels let alone maths...
Everyone who thought it was hard, you have yourself to blame. As one has already mentionned, AQA are not liable for your own failure. Failure to prepare = failure. You do not deserve a university place if you do not understand the questions you were being asked.

Do you mind if I private message you some questions about the paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile

PRSOM

A* 65
A 61
B 56
C 53

How convenient to have a head of maths who also works for AQA! Strange to think he didn't mention that it takes a board of examiners and staticians months of analysis to come up with grade boundaries? And that many factors come into play other than the difficulty of the questions🤔 Like I don't know maybe the performance of candidates compared to prior performance and predicted grades? And not to mention the percentage of people who achieve over 90%? So strange that he could give you such a definitive answer!
Original post by Yo12345
Do you mind if I private message you some questions about the paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes :smile: or ask here. I don't have a photographic memory :/
I am just saying that every year candidates say the same thing:"omg it was so hard""aqa omgggg whyyy"And now it's happening here.Is it not delusional to expect A* to be below 60? Is it not delusional to think that everyone has bombed the exam because they did? Is it not delusional to think that because they flopped that the exam board it to blame? Is it not delusional to start a petition about this exam's difficulty.Even if you won't admit it, I know your answer.AQA is innocent, you all are not. It's easy to blame the "evil" exam board just because you were too lazy to revise.And no, this is an exam DISCUSSION. Not a safe space for failures to circlejerk at how horrible they did and how it wasn't their fault.Ugh get a gripPS: The time you spent typing up that joke of message you could have spent REVISING for your other exams. I expect to see you here complaining again post-Core 4

I can see that every year the candidates may say the same thing about exams being hard. It's an A-level in maths, it will be hard, the best educational institutions in the world will be judging you on the exam and they need to sort the good from the bad.

And I do agree with you that the grade boundaries will not be that low, I think they might be one mark lower, but not that low, but if other people think that the boundaries will be that low, maybe they'll be right. No one knows, the exam only happened a few hours ago.

And yes, this is a discussion thread, people talk to each other about the exam. That still doesn't justify you making people feel worse about how they've done to boost your own ego.

P.S. I'm I'm eating lunch right now if that's alright with you, and i'm not complaining about core 3, although I do think it was slightly harder than last year (which was to be expected), I'm complaining about you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 834
I don't think you should be doing A-levels let alone maths...

Thanks for answering my question
Original post by Berke0

Pls someone answer

I got an U grade in core 3 last year still managed to get an C grade overall, don't worry !:smile:
Original post by Cascadess
That feels when you're trying to give C0balt Rep for the 3 millionth time and it says you gave them too much :frown:

Your thoughts are much appreciated 😊
All papers should have harder questions so as to distinguish A* students from the rest, but this paper had multiple A* questions and very few middle ground wuestions, meaning stidents capable of getting Bs and Cs wont be distinguished from those likely to get Ds and Es. AQAs own resources only really gave generic questions, but this paper had very few
Original post by Cascadess
I can see that every year the candidates may say the same thing about exams being hard. It's an A-level in maths, it will be hard, the best educational institutions in the world will be judging you on the exam and they need to sort the good from the bad.And I do agree with you that the grade boundaries will not be that low, I think they might be one mark lower, but not that low, but if other people think that the boundaries will be that low, maybe they'll be right. No one knows, the exam only happened a few hours ago.And yes, this is a discussion thread, people talk to each other about the exam. That still doesn't justify you making people feel worse about how they've done to boost your own ego.P.S. I'm I'm eating lunch right now if that's alright with you, and i'm not complaining about core 3, although I do think it was slightly harder than last year (which was to be expected), I'm complaining about you.

It's nice that you understand, though you should have understood sooner. Apology accepted.
Reply 839
Original post by Peter Wilkinson
I got an U grade in core 3 last year still managed to get an C grade overall, don't worry !:smile:

Awesome, that gives me some hope. Thanks for your answer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending