The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics MPC3 Core 3 - Wednesday 15th June 2016 [Official Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ValerieKR
We have secx + tanx and a secx-tanx subtracting second from first gives 2tanx= 4.8, 4.8>0
Also notice that when you sub the -88.something in you get -0.2 which is the one that isn't the one you want (one with the opposite tan sign) (sum rather than difference or vice versa)
(details of which is which are lost on me)

Ah makes sense, I added the equations to get 2secx=-5.2 cause it'd be easier to get cosx from that, would've been nice if they'd made you find tan x too explicitly
Original post by jtebbbs
Ah makes sense, I added the equations to get 2secx=-5.2 cause it'd be easier to get cosx from that, would've been nice if they'd made you find tan x too explicitly

Yeah, it wasn't easy to spot and I suspect someone at AQA is going to be in trouble for writing 'solutions' in that question
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AkeebSaberi
I agree. It probably looks like to people who haven't done this paper looking at this thread that we are just over-exaggerating, but that paper hardly allowed anyone to show what they were capable of, nor did it allow us to represent and showcase the effort put in. It is quite painful to see grades disappear after doing one paper, and knocks confidence massively. Hopefully we can all scavenge something good from the next paper. Good luck :smile:

Thanks akh
I hope they allow them both in the mark scheme
Have they ever done anything similar?

I doubt they would but meh it's just one mark
Not to my memory, no.
Original post by lollypandahype
56?

last year was 57 for an A. surely this is too high? last year's paper was really easy. i'm gonna ****ing die i hate my life so much
at least i havent droped any core 4 marks yet
Original post by tanyapotter
last year was 57 for an A. surely this is too high? last year's paper was really easy. i'm gonna ****ing die i hate my life so much

Oh wow it was at well. I thought for some reason it was 61.

Yeah probably about 53 then and about 60 for an A*
Anyone knows roughly how many people sat the AQA C3 exam? Although I don't think the exam was too bad, the petition to lower the grade boundaries seems to be getting momentum.
Original post by C0balt
I doubt they would but meh it's just one mark
Not to my memory, no.

I might have seen it in an M3 paper once, but that might well have been on the old spec.
Mind you, mentioning M3, the way AQA have been so far this year I wouldn't be surprised if they set A as 75 in all papers and emailed pictures of raised fingers to anyone who complains.
Original post by lollypandahype
Oh wow it was at well. I thought for some reason it was 61.

Yeah probably about 53 then and about 60 for an A*

i hope it's 50 because i'm pretty sure i got 51 fml
I might have seen it in an M3 paper once, but that might well have been on the old spec.
Mind you, mentioning M3, the way AQA have been so far this year I wouldn't be surprised if they set A as 75 in all papers and emailed pictures of raised fingers to anyone who complains.

I don't remember seeing it in any of M3 paper of current spec. And I think if it were in M3 there would've been some physical reason why there was only one solution - like negative time... Which would've been easier to notice

I am looking forward to reading examiner's report. "only a minority did not complete the paper in time" - I'll laugh my head off lol
Original post by C0balt

I am looking forward to reading examiner's report. "only a minority did not complete the paper in time" - I'll laugh my head off lol

But they'll back to up to look good to their bosses with something like 'The most able candidate (singular on purpose), however, was able to answer all but one of the questions.'
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 09876543211
Anyone knows roughly how many people sat the AQA C3 exam? Although I don't think the exam was too bad, the petition to lower the grade boundaries seems to be getting momentum.

Last year 16643 people sat A level Maths for AQA. (source: AQA result statistics) So I'd guess about 17000-18000 this year. So about 20% of candidates have signed it so far.
Original post by MahuduElec
Last year 16643 people sat A level Maths for AQA. (source: AQA result statistics) So I'd guess about 17000-18000 this year. So about 20% of candidates have signed it so far.

Wow that's quite impressive
But they'll back to up to look good to their bosses with something like 'The most able candidate (singular on purpose), however, was able to answer all but one of the questions.'

LOL
Does anyone know what q8 was? And how many marks??
Original post by MahuduElec

Wow, I just refreshed the page and approx 24% already signed it, i.e. 4,034 people. But, I doubt AQA will do anything.
Wow, I just refreshed the page and approx 24% already signed it, i.e. 4,034 people. But, I doubt AQA will do anything.

Never any harm in trying. :smile:

They can't do anything (except reset the exams but that's not going to happen) as the grade boundaries aren't even set yet, they're set such that a similar proportion of students get As, Bs etc as did last year.
Same in all exams.
Can someone link me the petition. Would love to sign it, regardless if it has no affect on AQA😂
They will not need to. The grade boundaries are governed by statistics- so unless everyone sitting the paper was somehow geniuses compared with last year those boundaries will fall. I know this because one of my teachers is a assistant principal examiner for an AQA Core Maths unit and my other teacher an Assistant principal examiner for Edexcel Maths and both describe very similar processes for grade boundary setting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending