Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have absolutely no clue how to revise for English Literature. I'm currently in my first year of sixth form - my English is pretty bad not gonna lie, but I'm struggling on how to revise.

Please give me tips

(Original post by lollypop11)
    I have absolutely no clue how to revise for English Literature. I'm currently in my first year of sixth form - my English is pretty bad not gonna lie, but I'm struggling on how to revise.

Please give me tips
    What do you mean when you say your English is 'pretty bad'? What are you struggling with in particular? Which exam board are you on?

Are you struggling to revise in the sense that you're finding it difficult to memorise quotes or do you have no idea where to start?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoseGatz)
    What do you mean when you say your English is 'pretty bad'? What are you struggling with in particular? Which exam board are you on?

Are you struggling to revise in the sense that you're finding it difficult to memorise quotes or do you have no idea where to start?
    I'm with Edexcel, and I have no idea where to start!

Have you got an exam for Lit in summer?

ReputationRep:
    I'm also in the exact same position! I have no idea where to start revising with English and because I hate it so much (don't particularly enjoy things I'm not good at... stupid right) I can't motivate myself to do anything about it

I'm also with Edexcel, what texts are you studying?

ReputationRep:

Please give me tips
    Hello! I study English Literature at A2 currently, I got a B nearly an A last year. I revise by mind maps! Such as poetry, write down key quotes and analyse each words. I study love so I find all the quotes and texts I can for love and write them all together. Use flashcards, colour code everything and read as much as you can, just in general. Ask teachers for recommened reading! Good luck x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Babs Posh)
    I'm also in the exact same position! I have no idea where to start revising with English and because I hate it so much (don't particularly enjoy things I'm not good at... stupid right) I can't motivate myself to do anything about it

I'm also with Edexcel, what texts are you studying?
    A Street Car Named Desire, Frankenstein and Never Let Me Go

what about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoseGatz)
    Have you got an exam for Lit in summer?
    Yep! In May

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm a first year doing AS Eng Lit too- but instead of Frankenstein, we're doing War of the Worlds. I assume we're both doing 'Science in Society' then? I'm currently getting straight As in mock papers and class test, so I'll help all I can!

My best advice is to go through the books and summarize each chapter, then summarize this again to have only the key points of the book! With these two resources, you can assess the importance of these events in relation to each character. So, for example, in NLMG, the 'secret service' looks mainly at Ruth, while the trip to Norfolk focuses mainly on Tommy. It's good to have points like these in case a question on one of the characters comes up.

Something else to do is list the main themes of your books, like tragedy, love, science, etc. etc. You can make a mind map of these then, and make further points from each of the books to expand on why X is a theme of Y (AKA. Romance is a theme of NLMG because Kathy and Tommy's secret conversations at Hailsham, Norfolk, the tape, etc.). This helps with comparison questions!! Say if you got a question like "compare how science and relationships interact in NLMG and WOTW/Frankenstein,"this helps loads because you'll know the theme and exactly what points to make!We've had a lot of practice papers on social order and society too, so maybe look into those themes as well.

Finally- practice makes perfect! It's always good to practice essays whenever you can to get the structure and terminology down! The structure for the Streetcar essay is fairly basic, but the comparison question has a lot of toing-and-froing that might take a couple of times to nail! See if your teacher will give you any practice exam questions and/or mark any extra essays that you’re doing so you can check your progress.Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    A Street Car Named Desire, Frankenstein and Never Let Me Go

what about you?
    Hi. I'm also doing "A Streetcar Named Desire" and "Frankenstein", and I'm equally as stressed as to how to revise for this. :sigh:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever been hacked?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.