Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Basically I have no idea what I want to do as a career. I started doing a course this academic year and left because I just wasn't enjoying it. I've applied for Sociology at a respected university as the course looks so interesting. However, I'm being put off doing it by people saying that it's a pointless degree and I'm starting to worry that I'll not be able to do anythint with it. What do you guys think? Opinions would be really appreciated. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soph996)
    Hey,

Basically I have no idea what I want to do as a career. I started doing a course this academic year and left because I just wasn't enjoying it. I've applied for Sociology at a respected university as the course looks so interesting. However, I'm being put off doing it by people saying that it's a pointless degree and I'm starting to worry that I'll not be able to do anythint with it. What do you guys think? Opinions would be really appreciated. Thanks
    Do you have any idea what you'd like to do in the future?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    Do you have any idea what you'd like to do in the future?
    Nope, none at all.

ReputationRep:
    what is Sociology lol

ReputationRep:
    Nope, none at all.
    Then I wouldn't waste any more time and money on a uni course.
    Maybe take some time out, work/volunteer or perhaps an apprenticeship in something interests you and if anything, you can go to uni later.

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/spais/prosp...tinations.html

^That may be of interest, it is a list of some of the graduate destinations for University of Bristols School is sociology, politics and international studies. Quite a few end up going to work at charities or becoming civil servants.

ReputationRep:
    That's really helpful, thank you!
    (Original post by M141)
    http://www.bristol.ac.uk/spais/prosp...tinations.html

^That may be of interest, it is a list of some of the graduate destinations for University of Bristols School is sociology, politics and international studies. Quite a few end up going to work at charities or becoming civil servants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    Then I wouldn't waste any more time and money on a uni course.
    Maybe take some time out, work/volunteer or perhaps an apprenticeship in something interests you and if anything, you can go to uni later.
    That's good advice, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

It is just a degree like every other one, it gets you to think about something and makes your academic ability grow. However, it seems like even the top universities have relatively lax requirements for it and therefore, people may see it as the kind of a subject you do if you didn't get the grades to study something else. Even LSE asks for just AAB.
    Study if you enjoy it anyway, and going to a good uni will put you in a good stead nevertheless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GUMI)
    what is Sociology lol
    Essentially, the study of society.... in a nutshell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0123456543210)
    It is just a degree like every other one, it gets you to think about something and makes your academic ability grow. However, it seems like even the top universities have relatively lax requirements for it and therefore, people may see it as the kind of a subject you do if you didn't get the grades to study something else. Even LSE asks for just AAB.
    Study if you enjoy it anyway, and going to a good uni will put you in a good stead nevertheless
    You're probably right. It's perhaps due to the fact that all you do, generally, is write essays so unlike other degrees which also focus on looking at quantative data etc, you don't get as many transferable skills. Thanks for your opinion!

ReputationRep:
    You're probably right. It's perhaps due to the fact that all you do, generally, is write essays so unlike other degrees which also focus on looking at quantative data etc, you don't get as many transferable skills. Thanks for your opinion!
    Yep, but that applies to pretty much any humanity. I think you should just do what you like, life is boring as it is, so make at least 3 years of it enjoyable. In addition to that, doing sociology at a top university is better than doing a 'traditional' subject at a Met. Good luck, and make the choice that is right for you.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't recommend it as an undergrad degree. It worked for me later on, as I had a PhD scholarship, but it limits your options if you go with Social Sciences too early.

ReputationRep:
    Wise words! I hope so too, thank you.
    (Original post by 0123456543210)
    Yep, but that applies to pretty much any humanity. I think you should just do what you like, life is boring as it is, so make at least 3 years of it enjoyable. In addition to that, doing sociology at a top university is better than doing a 'traditional' subject at a Met. Good luck, and make the choice that is right for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrSocSciences)
    I wouldn't recommend it as an undergrad degree. It worked for me later on, as I had a PhD scholarship, but it limits your options if you go with Social Sciences too early.
    I guess it does limit your options, I'll take that into consideration. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Sociology like many other humanities/social sciences ticks the degree box. What makes the difference is what you have to offer by the end when you are looking for jobs, in terms of work experience and soft skills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    Sociology like many other humanities/social sciences ticks the degree box. What makes the difference is what you have to offer by the end when you are looking for jobs, in terms of work experience and soft skills.
    I totally agree with you, thanks for your reply!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.