Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi everyone, so I'm really in need of some help about my current situation.

I just postponed my study from university for the rest of the year in order to try and recover from the anxiety and depression that I have been suffering with, due to personal circumstances before I begun university. It really affected all aspects of my university life and so I knew I needed to return home and focus on trying to get the treatment I need in order to get better and return in September.

The only problem that is really getting me down is the finance side of things. I don't come from a well off family and so I'm needing to provide for myself independently. As I've come home to recover, I didn't really want to get straight into full time work so took on a small 0 hour contract at my local pub where I can choose when I'd like to work. It's been a really big help having a job so casually, and I see it as more of a therapeutic experience than one needed to fund myself. However, this isn't enough for me to be able to support myself and I've got a big backdate of student finance that I'll have to be paying off soon. I just seem to be getting further and further into my overdraft and it's really starting to make me panic as, I feel, the only way for me to live in stability is If I work many more hours than I currently do.

This is not why I decided to return home though as you can probably tell. Instead I wanted to focus on the treatment that I'm receiving and not having the pressures of university life which I'm now facing from the working world. Feeling under pressure is my main trigger and is why being at university really made my health start to deteriorate and so I really fear things are only going to get worse from here if I'm forced to work a lot. I know that there is the disability benefit that I may be eligible for, but I've heard that it's a long process and is on your record for life so could cause problems for me in the future which makes me not very keen on applying. This post is basically just a call for help because I've exhausted every possible angle I could think of and I honestly don't know what I can do, I feel like there's no option at this point. Any help would be so appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I know it might not help you but I'm interested in how you decided to take time away from Uni? I'm currently struggling with Mental Health which is affecting Uni now. I don't have any diagnosed mental health condition though and I'm very reluctant to have a break from Uni so I'm just interested on how you decided? and then also how do you do that?

I will now try and help though.
    My first thought is talk about the finance problem at your treatment sessions? They will know more about finance for mental health conditions than I do.
    My second thought is do you have DSA? or did you have at Uni? I've not heard anything about disability support being on your record forever, and I can't think why It would be. But DSA does include mental health conditions and from my experience of it you get a good amount of support from it. Also wasn't too hard to get, you just need evidence of your conditions, my other Student Finance was more difficult.

(Original post by dipka)
    Hello

I know it might not help you but I'm interested in how you decided to take time away from Uni? I'm currently struggling with Mental Health which is affecting Uni now. I don't have any diagnosed mental health condition though and I'm very reluctant to have a break from Uni so I'm just interested on how you decided? and then also how do you do that?

I will now try and help though.
    My first thought is talk about the finance problem at your treatment sessions? They will know more about finance for mental health conditions than I do.
    My second thought is do you have DSA? or did you have at Uni? I've not heard anything about disability support being on your record forever, and I can't think why It would be. But DSA does include mental health conditions and from my experience of it you get a good amount of support from it. Also wasn't too hard to get, you just need evidence of your conditions, my other Student Finance was more difficult.
    Hi, thank you so much for your response, I've actually taken your advice and got in touch with student finance and they have advised me that if I give them evidence then they may be able to fund me for my year out.

Regarding your own circumstances, have you been to see anyone about your mental health? Like the university or the doctors? If not I'd really recommend doing that because you'll need some evidence to make your reasons for leaving medical. Everyone's been super supportive and helpful though, I know it can be a scary process! I was so reluctant to leave too because I didn't want it to affect me in any way, but after actually getting advice it all was so much simpler than I originally thought. It will have no affect on your time at university because you'll be able to pick up where you left off, they explain everything quite well but for me I've just been able to restart the year again in September. I was never properly diagnosed either though, you don't have to be as long as you've spoken to someone about it. I basically decided because I knew that it would affect my studies and it was more beneficial to my health to try and get better comfortably and without the pressure of university, and everyone was really understanding. Just arrange a meeting with your university's mental health services and maybe your tutor to talk through your options? I really hope that was helpful and you manage to get everything sorted, I'm here if you have any more questions!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, that's great news that student finance will help. I had such issues with them when applying last year, so getting help can't have been easy.

For me it's not that simple.
    I've seen, erm, lots of people uni nurse, 2 local MH services, GP, not got any help. It's complicated for me, they don't explain why they wont help either which make it difficult to know what to do next. I think it's because I got other disabilities and medical conditions they just relate all my problems to them and so decide it is not MH and so refuse to help, I think anyway. I never get told things.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.