I can't sleep and it's ruining my life- kind of

Watch
Mvpmb
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Last year I was completely nocturnal , my school let me get away with it and not Come in because I got alright grades, but they are really hammering me now to come in more and I don't know what to do.

I don't think I've fallen asleep before midnight since I was a child, and I can't function in the morning like a normal person and I don't know how to fix this
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Are you exercising during the day? You need to basically get into the habit of going to bed at a reasonable time and getting up at a reasonable time. It does take some adjusting.
username2228735
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Tiger Rag)
Are you exercising during the day? You need to basically get into the habit of going to bed at a reasonable time and getting up at a reasonable time. It does take some adjusting.
This. Not being able to sleep may be due to a lack of exercise and/or poor diet. It takes a bit of discipline but once you get into the habit of exercising it becomes part of your routine. It's helped my sleeping pattern.
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mvpmb)
Last year I was completely nocturnal , my school let me get away with it and not Come in because I got alright grades, but they are really hammering me now to come in more and I don't know what to do.

I don't think I've fallen asleep before midnight since I was a child, and I can't function in the morning like a normal person and I don't know how to fix this
Medication works wonders for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
z33
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
sleeping pills bruh
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aceadria)
This. Not being able to sleep may be due to a lack of exercise and/or poor diet. It takes a bit of discipline but once you get into the habit of exercising it becomes part of your routine. It's helped my sleeping pattern.
It's helped me a lot too. And no, I'm not suggesting you do something vigerous. Just something gentle.

The problem with sleeping pills is that they are addictive. Not all GPs will prescribe them either.
username2228735
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's helped me a lot too. And no, I'm not suggesting you do something vigerous. Just something gentle.
Absolutely. Small changes in your daily routine go a long way!

The problem with sleeping pills is that they are addictive. Not all GPs will prescribe them either.
I find the idea of 'forcing' my body to sleep just wrong.
triphazards
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mvpmb)

ignore the other comments. If you have suffered with this since you were a child, you most likely have a sleep disorder... in which case, things like 'getting more exercise' etc are unlikely to help or make any difference. Although I do not agree with self diagnosis your symptoms are a text book example of "delayed sleep phase disorder". I would advise talking to your GP, and making a sleep diary beforehand recording hours of time you spend awake and asleep, this will provide useful information for the doctor and will enable them to help you more. also a diagnosis such as the above could make you a candidate for extra time in exams and may qualify you for many other support services that may be of great benefit to you - so I think it's worth getting it checked out !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tom78
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Turn off electronics and read for like an hour in bed
TheonlyMrsHolmes
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mvpmb)

I know how that feels.
Mvpmb
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by triphazards)
ignore the other comments. If you have suffered with this since you were a child, you most likely have a sleep disorder... in which case, things like 'getting more exercise' etc are unlikely to help or make any difference. Although I do not agree with self diagnosis your symptoms are a text book example of "delayed sleep phase disorder". I would advise talking to your GP, and making a sleep diary beforehand recording hours of time you spend awake and asleep, this will provide useful information for the doctor and will enable them to help you more. also a diagnosis such as the above could make you a candidate for extra time in exams and may qualify you for many other support services that may be of great benefit to you - so I think it's worth getting it checked out !

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that sounds like me, but GP's tend to not buy into that kind of stuff, theyl just tell me im a teenager

I might take melatonin, its used for jet lag i figure it should help me
chikane
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I have been going to the gym and found i sleep so much better and feel refreshed in the morning.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (513)
33.77%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (627)
41.28%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (310)
20.41%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed