Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I can't sleep and it's ruining my life- kind of watch

ReputationRep:
    Last year I was completely nocturnal , my school let me get away with it and not Come in because I got alright grades, but they are really hammering me now to come in more and I don't know what to do.

I don't think I've fallen asleep before midnight since I was a child, and I can't function in the morning like a normal person and I don't know how to fix this
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Are you exercising during the day? You need to basically get into the habit of going to bed at a reasonable time and getting up at a reasonable time. It does take some adjusting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Are you exercising during the day? You need to basically get into the habit of going to bed at a reasonable time and getting up at a reasonable time. It does take some adjusting.
    This. Not being able to sleep may be due to a lack of exercise and/or poor diet. It takes a bit of discipline but once you get into the habit of exercising it becomes part of your routine. It's helped my sleeping pattern.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Mvpmb)
    Last year I was completely nocturnal , my school let me get away with it and not Come in because I got alright grades, but they are really hammering me now to come in more and I don't know what to do.

I don't think I've fallen asleep before midnight since I was a child, and I can't function in the morning like a normal person and I don't know how to fix this
    Medication works wonders for me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    sleeping pills bruh
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Aceadria)
    This. Not being able to sleep may be due to a lack of exercise and/or poor diet. It takes a bit of discipline but once you get into the habit of exercising it becomes part of your routine. It's helped my sleeping pattern.
    It's helped me a lot too. And no, I'm not suggesting you do something vigerous. Just something gentle.

The problem with sleeping pills is that they are addictive. Not all GPs will prescribe them either.

ReputationRep:
    It's helped me a lot too. And no, I'm not suggesting you do something vigerous. Just something gentle.
    Absolutely. Small changes in your daily routine go a long way!

The problem with sleeping pills is that they are addictive. Not all GPs will prescribe them either.
    I find the idea of 'forcing' my body to sleep just wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mvpmb)

ignore the other comments. If you have suffered with this since you were a child, you most likely have a sleep disorder... in which case, things like 'getting more exercise' etc are unlikely to help or make any difference. Although I do not agree with self diagnosis your symptoms are a text book example of "delayed sleep phase disorder". I would advise talking to your GP, and making a sleep diary beforehand recording hours of time you spend awake and asleep, this will provide useful information for the doctor and will enable them to help you more. also a diagnosis such as the above could make you a candidate for extra time in exams and may qualify you for many other support services that may be of great benefit to you - so I think it's worth getting it checked out !

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Turn off electronics and read for like an hour in bed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mvpmb)

I know how that feels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by triphazards)
    ignore the other comments. If you have suffered with this since you were a child, you most likely have a sleep disorder... in which case, things like 'getting more exercise' etc are unlikely to help or make any difference. Although I do not agree with self diagnosis your symptoms are a text book example of "delayed sleep phase disorder". I would advise talking to your GP, and making a sleep diary beforehand recording hours of time you spend awake and asleep, this will provide useful information for the doctor and will enable them to help you more. also a diagnosis such as the above could make you a candidate for extra time in exams and may qualify you for many other support services that may be of great benefit to you - so I think it's worth getting it checked out !

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that sounds like me, but GP's tend to not buy into that kind of stuff, theyl just tell me im a teenager

I might take melatonin, its used for jet lag i figure it should help me

ReputationRep:

I have been going to the gym and found i sleep so much better and feel refreshed in the morning.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 26, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.