Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Get fat, sue McDonalds! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Become anorexic sue.....Jane Fonda, or Vogue or the Paris fashion houses...feck! that's a cracking idea!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    Macdonalds and other companies spend an enormous amount of money on advertising to persuade peole to eat the stuff. The result is damage or destruction of peoples' ability to perceive and resist hype and lies.....
    at the end of the day these establishments are just companies and like all companies strive to do is to become even more successful. there is nothign wrong with that.

the thing is there are far more of us who are lying back and being passive blaiming this that and the other. you just need to know where you want to be and how you want to feel - and that shouldn't be acheived through what you are exposed to. its what you think at the end of day.

sure, being influnced by these things are extremely bad. somethign should be done about it, yet on the other hand i think we all need to play a part and be active as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spider)
    Is that true?
    And was it 190 degrees fahrenheit or celsius? Even though 190 f is still pretty hot.
    Well water boils at 100*C, so from common sense I'd guess farenheit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    I can only assume fahrenheit, celcius would be absolutely crazy. Anyway the point is it was far far higher than coffee should be, the story is usually retold by people who heard it 57th hand etc, and so the actual facts are long gone.
    I dont know how you make coffe, but when I make it I poor boiling water into teh cup. Water doesnt get any hoter than the boiling point as it would then no longer be water but steem. 95 Celsius water is perfectly normal for a cup of coffee and if you have any clue whatsoever you check before you drink it , cus coffe is hot!.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neha p)
    i dont believe McDonalds are under any obligation to sell nutritional food. the people eating the food know how much junk is in it, how many additives there are...so why eat them??
    it is completely up to the public whether they want to eat gallons of fat and lard. McDonalds are only making a living, nobody has to go to them though
    Yeah but how do you know how much junk is in it if you are not provided with nutritional information?

ReputationRep:
    Dont they put it on the packets in the UK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roxy potter)
    Yeah but how do you know how much junk is in it if you are not provided with nutritional information?
    Nutritional information is provided in very small print- only where it must legally be provided- and written in deliberately obscure and uninformative language. On the other hand, Macdonalds and all of the other profitable rubbish purveyors spend enormous amounts of money churning out advertising which doesn't actually say anything but which leaves the impression that this stuff is somehow really wonderful and exciting. Between them they make sure people are exposed to this mind-rotting garbage for a lot of the time, often on a subliminal level and this has far more effect than any conscious thought or awareness of what they are actually doing.

ReputationRep:
    this day and age people know what is generally good for you adn what isnt, i mean you talk to smokers, they know its bad they still do it, people easting junk food they know its bad they still do it.
    does anyone ahve apic of these two retards because they are just bored and want more money for eating the burgers lol
    how was it Mcdonals fault? (please burger dont make me eat you!, stop looking at me!!!, i mean it you dont stop looking im going to do something bad!!!, dammit *scoff* *chrunch* *chrunch* i told you i was gonna, i didnt want to but you forced me. LOLOLOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vmong)
    this day and age people know what is generally good for you adn what isnt, i mean you talk to smokers, they know its bad they still do it, people easting junk food they know its bad they still do it.
    You confuse different meanings of "know". The long-term effect of advertising works at a subliminal level- people may "know" intellectually it's bad for them, but their hands and mouths "know" they want it.
    doe
    how was it Mcdonals fault? (please burger dont make me eat you!, stop looking at me!!!, i mean it you dont stop looking im going to do something bad!!!, dammit *scoff* *chrunch* *chrunch* i told you i was gonna, i didnt want to but you forced me. LOLOLOL
    Because Macdonalds and similar firms spent a load of dosh and employed an assortment of intelligent and unscrupulous people to make sure that people's minds work that way. If a child is kept in a cupboard and grows up with a distorted body and brain damage they are entitled to sue the people that put them there. Macdonalds, along with much of modern industries of one kind or other, including TV and film, work to twist the whole way people think and respond. They may not intend all the consequences, but they are responsible for them.

ReputationRep:
    a cliche, i know but at the end of the day if a person makes themselves sick or in this case obese then its their own fault, so what if they make their food really appealing. i walk to the highstreet quite often and even when im very hungry, as i walk about 2 miles there and back, i never have the temptation to go out and "getta burga" as i know its bad and its not healthy. those big mommas who want to sue macdonalds are saying that McD are playing psycolical games??? they use their persuasive marketing to encourage people to buy their food. i think that fat people should know better i mean im even trying to lose weight and get fit for summer i walk whenever i can rather than take the bus and i go for a job everynight after big brother!!!
    those big gals should not get a penny and should be fined for wasting money, time and damaging McDs reputation. i mean a burger every so often isnt that bad, but when it becomes regular its not any ones fault but their own. anyone who takes them beasts seriously is crazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vmong)
    if a person makes themselves sick or in this case obese then its their own fault, so what if they make their food really appealing.
    Macdonalds do not need to make their food "appealling", only their advertisements. One of the functions of a consumer society is to persuade people to consume unquestioningly. The people concerned are responsible, but so are Macdonalds and- indeed the whole system of mutually re-inforcing companies and advertising which leads to it. It works like religion, but it is far more efficiently run.
    those big mommas who want to sue macdonalds are saying that McD are playing psycolical games???
    Not psychological games. The very serious pursuit of profit. Casualties are regrettable but, of course, inevitable.
    they use their persuasive marketing to encourage people to buy their food.
    Precisely. Macdonalds and every fast food company, every trainer-maker or clothes company which persuades people that there is something special because it is advertised successfully are having the same effect. No,it's not a conspiracy, but the effect is to make people more easily conned, more immediately responsive to stimuli- more gullible and more stupid. They don't want thinking consumers.
    i think that fat people should know better
    I agree. Unfortunately, the society we live in imposes contradictory beliefs on people, so they believe in and follow two opposing ideas at once.
    i mean im even trying to lose weight and get fit for summer i walk whenever i can rather than take the bus and i go for a job everynight after big brother!!!
    If you read 1984, where the term Big Brother came from, you will come across the concept of doublethink, which applies in this case.
    those big gals should not get a penny and should be fined for wasting money, time and damaging McDs reputation. i mean a burger every so often isnt that bad, but when it becomes regular its not any ones fault but their own. anyone who takes them beasts seriously is crazy.
    The purpose of Macdonalds advertising is to con people into buying the muck. [There is also the question of possible addictive effects of some of Macdonalds' additives.] If it succeeds too well, it is their responsibility. As a corporation, Macdonalds has neither a body to kick nor a soul to damn and the only way to make them behave is to hit their profits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    Macdonalds do not need to make their food "appealling", only their advertisements. One of the functions of a consumer society is to persuade people to consume unquestioningly. The people concerned are responsible, but so are Macdonalds and- indeed the whole system of mutually re-inforcing companies and advertising which leads to it. It works like religion, but it is far more efficiently run. Not psychological games. The very serious pursuit of profit. Casualties are regrettable but, of course, inevitable. Precisely. Macdonalds and every fast food company, every trainer-maker or clothes company which persuades people that there is something special because it is advertised successfully are having the same effect. No,it's not a conspiracy, but the effect is to make people more easily conned, more immediately responsive to stimuli- more gullible and more stupid. They don't want thinking consumers. I agree. Unfortunately, the society we live in imposes contradictory beliefs on people, so they believe in and follow two opposing ideas at once. If you read 1984, where the term Big Brother came from, you will come across the concept of doublethink, which applies in this case.
    The purpose of Macdonalds advertising is to con people into buying the muck. [There is also the question of possible addictive effects of some of Macdonalds' additives.] If it succeeds too well, it is their responsibility. As a corporation, Macdonalds has neither a body to kick nor a soul to damn and the only way to make them behave is to hit their profits.
    ok you have analysed my comments and may have agreed and proved me wrong, but think of this from Mcdoanlds perspective, would you really take these 2 fat ladies seriously??? they make it wound like they were forced to stuff the burgers inbetween their big mouths, although i havent seen the araticle on it and dont know the full story i was just saying my opinion from what i know already

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.