Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just got told that mine will be on the 9th of March. Anyone else have an interview?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, my interview is the 2nd of March, are you prepared for yours?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alize_24)
    Hi there, my interview is the 2nd of March, are you prepared for yours?
    I'm still finishing off my portfolio. Though I'll definitely have it by the 9th. Just hope it'll be enough.

What are you including in yours if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    I'm still finishing mine too, really hoping i have it done on time. I included my previous A level art, not all of it just the pieces i thought were the best, some of my digital art and i'm going to include two of my personal sketchbooks and some storyboards i made for my Moving Image Arts CW.

I did a lot of research on animation and apparently they really like see anatomy sketches, they want to see you know how bodies move around and proportions and stuff, and planning work, they like to see your thought process. I had a friend who applied last year and she said they ask a lot of questions on your knowledge of animation.

What all have you included in yours?

ReputationRep:
    For mine I've made three animations, and storyboards for two of them (the third is a simple walk cycle). Several life drawings (apparently they really like those) and a sketchbook, which is what I'm still working on.

Like I said earlier I hope that'll be enough, sounds like you've got plenty to show. I'm just hoping my lack of artistic background doesn't hold me back. I've more experience on the actual animation side of things that the art.

Good to know about the anatomy, I'll see if I can include some of that.

Also do you know what specifically they're looking for about our knowledge of animation? I know about the principles of animation and things like that. Do you think that's the sort of thing they're looking for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rebel_scum)
    For mine I've made three animations, and storyboards for two of them (the third is a simple walk cycle). Several life drawings (apparently they really like those) and a sketchbook, which is what I'm still working on.

Like I said earlier I hope that'll be enough, sounds like you've got plenty to show. I'm just hoping my lack of artistic background doesn't hold me back. I've more experience on the actual animation side of things that the art.

Good to know about the anatomy, I'll see if I can include some of that.

Also do you know what specifically they're looking for about our knowledge of animation? I know about the principles of animation and things like that. Do you think that's the sort of thing they're looking for?
    I dont think they will mind because you have experience with animation, what software did you use for your animations? They asked my friend her favorite animated movie and why it was her favourite and what other companies she knew other than disney and what she brought to the course.

I have very little experience in the actual animation side but alot more experience in the art so im hoping my lack of experience wont put them off me. They might also ask where you see yourself in five years interviews are awful

ReputationRep:
    I did the animations in Maya.

Those questions don't sound too difficult, though I'm not sure how I'd answer that one about where I see myself in 5 years.

ReputationRep:
    I dont know how i'd answer it either, im very nervous about this interview i dont have any other backup options
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi everybody!

I am an animation student from Ravensbourne
    Wanted to wish you all good luck for your upcoming interviews, and to reassure you that it is ok if you do not have much experience in the actual animation field. I originally come from a fine art background so I applied here with zero experience in any digital software, however you must show an enthusiasm for it, and willingness to learn. When I went for an interview one of the first things they had noticed was I did not have any digital work and the key question they asked me was 'why was i interested in coming here? and doing animation?'

So keep in mind you must be able to justify your portfolio work. It is great if you have experience with animation software already oh course so if the chance comes up definitely have a play around, do something new, but if you don't definitely cover the fundamentals of animation such as life drawing, character designs, an understanding of composition especially for story boarding
    I also got ask questions about animations I watch and what inspires me, they want to get to know what you are like as a person, think of it as a nice chat.
    don't be too nervous, let your work speak for yourself

Jay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ravensbourne)
    Hi everybody!

I am an animation student from Ravensbourne
    Wanted to wish you all good luck for your upcoming interviews, and to reassure you that it is ok if you do not have much experience in the actual animation field. I originally come from a fine art background so I applied here with zero experience in any digital software, however you must show an enthusiasm for it, and willingness to learn. When I went for an interview one of the first things they had noticed was I did not have any digital work and the key question they asked me was 'why was i interested in coming here? and doing animation?'

So keep in mind you must be able to justify your portfolio work. It is great if you have experience with animation software already oh course so if the chance comes up definitely have a play around, do something new, but if you don't definitely cover the fundamentals of animation such as life drawing, character designs, an understanding of composition especially for story boarding
    I also got ask questions about animations I watch and what inspires me, they want to get to know what you are like as a person, think of it as a nice chat.
    don't be too nervous, let your work speak for yourself

Jay

Thank you so much Jay for all your advice its really reasurred me, do you think like just plain digital art like nothing animated would be alright? Ive had some drawing that ive made on photoshop but i wasnt sure if i should bring them.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck tomorrow. You'll have to tell me how the interview went.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Rebel_scum;63111487]Good luck tomorrow. You'll have to tell me how the interview went.[/QUOTE

Thank you, and i will let you know how it goes and what they ask me

ReputationRep:
    My interview went well i think, it was very relaxed, they had us applicants sitting together, well all just talked got to know each other and look at each others art and they called us into a side room and interviewed us individually. I had two interviewers and they asked why i wanted to do animation, looked through my art and asked me some questions about it. It was a really easy experience so don't worry.

All the best.

ReputationRep:
    My interview went well i think, it was very relaxed, they had us applicants sitting together, well all just talked got to know each other and look at each others art and they called us into a side room and interviewed us individually. I had two interviewers and they asked why i wanted to do animation, looked through my art and asked me some questions about it. It was a really easy experience so don't worry.

All the best.
    What sort of questions did they ask about your art?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rebel_scum)
    What sort of questions did they ask about your art?
    They just looked through it and asked why i choose particular colour schemes and what my favourite piece was and why i choose the themes i studied for a level, they asked everyone different questions tho they didnt have set questions.

ReputationRep:
    I am after someone to make me a presentation animation which is about 2 minutes in duration. Any offers of help?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Thank you so much Jay for all your advice its really reasurred me, do you think like just plain digital art like nothing animated would be alright? Ive had some drawing that ive made on photoshop but i wasnt sure if i should bring them.
    No problem, happy to help, digital art is considered as well, it shows the level of skill that you currently hold. You can then build on that from the course,
    Wish you the best on the results of your offers. Jay

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.