Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I read - almost certainly in Once a Caian, the Caius college magazine - about the luxury refurbishment of the Master's lodgings at that college. Criticism of the expense was heard from some quarters, to which the Master responded by saying that the money spent on his accommodation had already had a positive effect on the results achieved by his college's undergraduates in the Tripos exams.

I have tried hard to find the exact quote again, by searching the issues of Once a Caian available online, but without success. I am 90% sure that the college was Caius and that the quote appeared in Once a Caian, but there is a small possibility that the refurbishment was at another college. From what I recall, the Master had only recently taken office.

I wondered whether someone reading this could help me locate the source for this quote?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeremy T)
    I read - almost certainly in Once a Caian, the Caius college magazine - about the luxury refurbishment of the Master's lodgings at that college. Criticism of the expense was heard from some quarters, to which the Master responded by saying that the money spent on his accommodation had already had a positive effect on the results achieved by his college's undergraduates in the Tripos exams.

I have tried hard to find the exact quote again, by searching the issues of Once a Caian available online, but without success. I am 90% sure that the college was Caius and that the quote appeared in Once a Caian, but there is a small possibility that the refurbishment was at another college. From what I recall, the Master had only recently taken office.

I wondered whether someone reading this could help me locate the source for this quote?
    Amazing! I try to find this quote on my own, on and off for several months, without success, and then as soon as I ask for help I find it within 10 minutes!

It's here, in issue 2 (Michaelmas 2005) of Once a Caian. in Mick Le Moignan's profile of retiring Master Neil McKendrick. McKendrick is admiringly described as "taking the Rolls Royce view" that "only the very best" was good enough, and as boastingly repeating the observation by a former teacher who visited his first room in the college that it "looks like a bloody film set".

I make no apology", he declared, "for the ornate grandeur of the Colyton Room or the Fellows’ Dining-Room, or for the £15 million spent on the Cockerell Library. It’s had a huge effect onTripos results!” Context suggests he isn't talking about the purchase of books or the improvement of library services.

Le Moignan then refers to McKendrick's "selfless devotion to Caius".

These references are to luxurious spaces at the College other than the Master's lodgings, but I think this piece is probably what I was thinking of. That's unless anyone knows of somewhere else where this sort of opinion has been expressed on the relationship between a Cambridge college spending money on luxury and students doing well in their exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeremy T)
    Amazing! I try to find this quote on my own, on and off for several months, without success, and then as soon as I ask for help I find it within 10 minutes!

It's here, in issue 2 (Michaelmas 2005) of Once a Caian. in Mick Le Moignan's profile of retiring Master Neil McKendrick. McKendrick is admiringly described as "taking the Rolls Royce view" that "only the very best" was good enough, and as boastingly repeating the observation by a former teacher who visited his first room in the college that it "looks like a bloody film set".

I make no apology", he declared, "for the ornate grandeur of the Colyton Room or the Fellows’ Dining-Room, or for the £15 million spent on the Cockerell Library. It’s had a huge effect onTripos results!” Context suggests he isn't talking about the purchase of books or the improvement of library services.

Le Moignan then refers to McKendrick's "selfless devotion to Caius".

These references are to luxurious spaces at the College other than the Master's lodgings, but I think this piece is probably what I was thinking of. That's unless anyone knows of somewhere else where this sort of opinion has been expressed on the relationship between a Cambridge college spending money on luxury and students doing well in their exams.
    A few years ago someone did calculate that there was a correlation between Tripos achievement and the colleges fellows' wine budget (see here).

Anecdotally, I think the library and newer developments such as SHB have encouraged people to apply (well certainly in my case), but I doubt it's something that could be proven .
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by smile:D)
    A few years ago someone did calculate that there was a correlation between Tripos achievement and the colleges fellows' wine budget (see here).

Anecdotally, I think the library and newer developments such as SHB have encouraged people to apply (well certainly in my case), but I doubt it's something that could be proven .
    The OP is talking about something that happened in 2005 (or before...).

More wine, Prof?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.