Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone play a brass instrument e.g. trumpet, french horn etc? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any tips for warming up before playing/getting embouchure ready? It seems really hard to just go into a piece of music without doing anything first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glassriver)
    Do you have any tips for warming up before playing/getting embouchure ready? It seems really hard to just go into a piece of music without doing anything first.
    I do! Cornet for about two years now. My warming up technique is pretty rubbish anyway, but my brass tutor tells me to warm up by playing harmonics, arpeggios and scales by both tonguing them and slurring them, and then maybe playing held notes, as well as practising tonguing by playing shorter notes. I can't really think of what else you could do...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOtherSide.)
    I do! Cornet for about two years now. My warming up technique is pretty rubbish anyway, but my brass tutor tells me to warm up by playing harmonics, arpeggios and scales by both tonguing them and slurring them, and then maybe playing held notes, as well as practising tonguing by playing shorter notes. I can't really think of what else you could do...
    wow, I do cornet too! Seems like it's a more popular instrument than I thought!

It's mainly the notes lower than middle C that sound a bit rubbish. Is there anything I can do to make them clearer apart from tilting the chin downwards and thinking about the note really hard?

ReputationRep:
    wow, I do cornet too! Seems like it's a more popular instrument than I thought!

It's mainly the notes lower than middle C that sound a bit rubbish. Is there anything I can do to make them clearer apart from tilting the chin downwards and thinking about the note really hard?
    Still not as popular as I would like it to be - I'm the only one in my school who plays a cornet (if you don't count the brass tutor).

Rubbish as in grainy sounding? (is that even what you call it?)

I'm not very sure about how to make the sound clearer, but I generally find that relaxing my lips makes it easier to play the lower notes, but at the same time, you still need a constant supply of air. Ooh, and the sound is much nicer if you have clear tonguing at the end (which I find harder to do when playing lower notes).

ReputationRep:
    ^This

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsAstronomy12)
    ^This
    Hello fellow brass player :five:

So which instrument(s) do you play?

ReputationRep:
    Still not as popular as I would like it to be - I'm the only one in my school who plays a cornet (if you don't count the brass tutor).

Rubbish as in grainy sounding? (is that even what you call it?)

I'm not very sure about how to make the sound clearer, but I generally find that relaxing my lips makes it easier to play the lower notes, but at the same time, you still need a constant supply of air. Ooh, and the sound is much nicer if you have clear tonguing at the end (which I find harder to do when playing lower notes).
    Not sure what a grainy sound would sound like, but imagine someone trying to clear a very scratchy throat. I guess it probably needs more air

ReputationRep:
    Hello fellow brass player :five:

So which instrument(s) do you play?
    I'm not so much of a brass player as I am a string player I'm afraid, but love music Piano is my main instrument but also play the guitar, sax, trumpet, clarinet and drums

ReputationRep:
    Not sure what a grainy sound would sound like, but imagine someone trying to clear a very scratchy throat. I guess it probably needs more air
    Most likely, yep. Take a deep breath beforehand :borat: (from the belly rather than the chest, like my teacher often demonstrates :lol: )

ReputationRep:
    I'm not so much of a brass player as I am a string player I'm afraid, but love music Piano is my main instrument but also play the guitar, sax, trumpet, clarinet and drums
    That is a lot of instruments. I can imagine you to be some kind of musical genius :lol:

Piano's my main one as well, though I'm not actually amazing in either of my instruments (it's just enough for me to survive GCSE music). Judging by your name, I'm guessing you won't be studying music at uni? If that's true, any particular reason why?

ReputationRep:
    That is a lot of instruments. I can imagine you to be some kind of musical genius :lol:

Piano's my main one as well, though I'm not actually amazing in either of my instruments (it's just enough for me to survive GCSE music). Judging by your name, I'm guessing you won't be studying music at uni? If that's true, any particular reason why?
    Haha I'm in no way a musical genius but cheers.

I only have lessons in piano, the others I self-teach using my mates or youtube videos! No, will be studying physics, not maths or astronomy as one would expect. The number of people who have thought that of me because of my username is countless; tempted to request a change due to this common misconception haha. But in answer to your question, I did music at AS and I found it interesting but pretty damn hard - there's no way I could hack it at A2 or degree level though having it as a hobby is fine with me. Wbu?

ReputationRep:
    Haha I'm in no way a musical genius but cheers.

I only have lessons in piano, the others I self-teach using my mates or youtube videos! No, will be studying physics, not maths or astronomy as one would expect. The number of people who have thought that of me because of my username is countless; tempted to request a change due to this common misconception haha. But in answer to your question, I did music at AS and I found it interesting but pretty damn hard - there's no way I could hack it at A2 or degree level though having it as a hobby is fine with me. Wbu?
    Yeah, maybe a name change would clear the confusion (well, I won't make that mistake again, at least, anyway)

Eh, I started both cornet and piano around 2 and a half years ago (a year before I chose my GCSEs, which might have been a tad bit late), and I'm enjoying playing both (I've joined the school's orchestra, big band and jazz band). I don't think I'd be able to do A-level Music, though, just because I'm nowhere near the level required for A-level Music, in either piano or cornet. I'll most likely just have it as a hobby too

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, maybe a name change would clear the confusion (well, I won't make that mistake again, at least, anyway)

Eh, I started both cornet and piano around 2 and a half years ago (a year before I chose my GCSEs, which might have been a tad bit late), and I'm enjoying playing both (I've joined the school's orchestra, big band and jazz band). I don't think I'd be able to do A-level Music, though, just because I'm nowhere near the level required for A-level Music, in either piano or cornet. I'll most likely just have it as a hobby too
    How would I actually do that?

Keeping it as a hobby is more enjoyable as there's no work stress

ReputationRep:
    How would I actually do that?

Keeping it as a hobby is more enjoyable as there's no work stress
    This thread should explain it all: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1329569

(Basically, you just e-mail them, and they should just change it for you - that's what I did).

ReputationRep:
    This thread should explain it all: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1329569

(Basically, you just e-mail them, and they should just change it for you - that's what I did).
    Oh right, so what was it originally?

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, so what was it originally?
    "BlueBlueBells"

From far away, that looks like a pretty awkward word (I won't be willing to explain if you don't get it, so you might as well stay curious )

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.