Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my final year of accounting and finance and am currently weighing up the differences between a 1st and a 2.1.

The position I'm in now is that I have 60 credits left to complete in my degree. I need an A in 40 of those credits to get a 1st, however, I've been having a massive build up of anxiety lately and it's making me not want to do any work at all.

Will there be any difference, realistically, in my future if I get a 1st? I have a graduate job lined up already, so it's not an issue there.

I'm just concerned that I'll have wasted a great opportunity to get a fantastic result at uni, solely due to my temporary anxiety problem.

Either way I'll graduate with a good 2.1 and have a job lined up. I'm just wondering whether it's worth putting myself through hell for these next few months to graduate with a 1st????

ReputationRep:
    Surely having a 1st is the biggest achievement. Uni life only comes once. That 'first class' degree will stay with you for life. Having said that, MOST jobs require 2:1 and there are other aspects which make you a better candidate. Firms aren't so particular about you getting a first.
    If you have experience, good communication skills and practical life skills, you will sail through in life.

So if you are feeling really anxious, don't strain yourself too much, because having a 2:1 is more than enough and already a high degree. But if you think you are definitely capable of first, then a little more hard work wouldn't hurt.

Just weigh between pride, necessity, capability, and what YOU want to achieve in your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walkers38)
    Surely having a 1st is the biggest achievement. Uni life only comes once. That 'first class' degree will stay with you for life. Having said that, MOST jobs require 2:1 and there are other aspects which make you a better candidate. Firms aren't so particular about you getting a first.
    If you have experience, good communication skills and practical life skills, you will sail through in life.

So if you are feeling really anxious, don't strain yourself too much, because having a 2:1 is more than enough and already a high degree. But if you think you are definitely capable of first, then a little more hard work wouldn't hurt.

Just weigh between pride, necessity, capability, and what YOU want to achieve in your life.
    I believe I can get A's in both my exams, so that's 20 credits. However, the other 20 credits would need to be achieved in one of my group projects I have this semester. One of those is too far gone now, not possible. The other I am in a *****y group and so have no idea whether an A is attainable or not.

It's just really stressing me out knowing I might graduate with the most ridiculous 2.1 ever (basically 69.5+%), and the pressure of needing to get a 1st to avoid that missed opportunity is causing me to procrastinate to no end.

Everyone I know expects me to graduate with a 1st as well, it just seems like if I get a 2.1 it will be quite disappointing.

Do people really care, say 3+ years following graduation, what your degree classification was? I'll have my professional qualification through ICAEW by then...

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.