Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have got offer of MSc Actuarial Science from three schools, Heriot-Watt, Leicester and Southampton. All of these three schools provide exemption from Subjects CT1-CT8. I am an international student and may go back to my home country to work as an actuary after graduation. Please give me some advice on which schools should I choose.

Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone can give me some advice?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by orkar2006)
    Anyone can give me some advice?
    Hi Orkar2006

I've asked our academic here who oversees Actuarial Science to have a think about this and have chased him just now so we should have some more info for you soon.

Cheers

Sophie
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by orkar2006)
    I have got offer of MSc Actuarial Science from three schools, Heriot-Watt, Leicester and Southampton. All of these three schools provide exemption from Subjects CT1-CT8. I am an international student and may go back to my home country to work as an actuary after graduation. Please give me some advice on which schools should I choose.

Thanks a lot!
    Hi

It's great to hear that Heriot-Watt is one of your choices. here are just some reasons why we may be the right choice for you -

- 8 possible exemptionsfrom IFoA exams
    - expertise: more than half the courses are taught by actuaries
    - Students Actuarial Society: lots of activities including presentations from employers, skills development (eg mock assessment centre), and annual SAS conference. Also option to join Faculty of Actuaries Students Society, organised by actuaries who work in companies and which allows you to meet and mix with real-life actuarial trainees and actuaries
    - lots of contact hours to really guide you through the course material and give you practice in labs and tutorials (more than with some competitiors)
    - highly rated (number 10 in UK for maths in 2015 Guardian survey (although we've dropped to number 29 in 2016 survey) with over 90% of student satisfied with the programme and also with the teaching)
    - normal stuff about beautiful, cheap, safe Edinburgh

I hope this information helps. When you get a chance please also take a look at our newly created school videos which will give you a better feel for life as a postgraduate at Heriot Watt - www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K6uL0PzM0U

(Our postgraduate Actuarial Science video - www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmmG2YWVyCA&list=PLeI5JU j3R4IYcqaIFWKK2h8ZxiLxIRRVS&inde x=3

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.