Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello fellow teachers,

I am coming to the end of my BA in primary ed and am therefore applying for jobs Exciting!!)
    I may be a little early here but my question to all those already in teaching posts, is how much did you have to go into school before you started your role in September? I have worked throughout all the holidays while I've been at uni, but have told my boss that I won't be working all of the summer holidays this year.
    I guess my headteacher will probably give me some dates to go in over summer when the school is open?
    I also don't want to work all summer because I want some time off before launching into the teaching profession. I'm guessing this would be seen as a sensible choice - I don't want to burn out before October half term!

Any information/advice about that summer before teaching would be really helpful.

-Thanks!

PS - not sure what happened with the title of the thread, it does't make sense! Apologies!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lascelles)
    Hello fellow teachers,

I am coming to the end of my BA in primary ed and am therefore applying for jobs Exciting!!)
    I may be a little early here but my question to all those already in teaching posts, is how much did you have to go into school before you started your role in September? I have worked throughout all the holidays while I've been at uni, but have told my boss that I won't be working all of the summer holidays this year.
    I guess my headteacher will probably give me some dates to go in over summer when the school is open?
    I also don't want to work all summer because I want some time off before launching into the teaching profession. I'm guessing this would be seen as a sensible choice - I don't want to burn out before October half term!

Any information/advice about that summer before teaching would be really helpful.

-Thanks!

PS - not sure what happened with the title of the thread, it does't make sense! Apologies!
    I would imagine there'll be an induction day for new staff in July (with pupils around) so you can meet your colleagues, find out about SoW etc. That's really important as there's no point doing any preparation at all until you know what is expected.

After that it's up to you whether you want to go in during the summer holidays or not (someone should be able to tell you what days/times the building will be open, nearer to the time). I'd probably recommend going in once or twice just to sort your classroom out a bit in terms of how you want it laid out. You might want to have boards ready (new backing paper and borders) so that you can put displays up in the first couple of weeks, but I wouldn't rush to put up displays until you know the pupils. And there'll probably be an INSET day or two in September with a bit of time for getting yourself together.

I wouldn't get carried away trying to plan loads of lessons in advance - you'll only end up redoing everything as you get to know the kids. By all means do a bit of rough planning and resource gathering, but don't spend days on it.

As you've said, it's important to be well-rested and to have a life, so go on holiday and take some time out to relax.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.