This discussion is closed.
Voldy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Okay the other threads getting way too big and with the server the way it is its impossible to post in there.

My friend was asking me about the question where you had to approximate the B(100, 0.1). I used a Poission, but he said he used the normal approximation, both should work as the values of n, p, np and nq, satisfy them, do you think either of us will lose marks for using the approximation we did? It said to use a suitable approximation.

:cool:
JHJH
Report 15 years ago
I used a poisson aproximation X~B(100,0.1) : Y~Po(10)

I beleive that using the poisson is the right aproximation, as you had to use a Normal later on to aproximate a Po(17.75)
equili3rium
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i use normal but i think both is fine
mabs
Report 15 years ago
how did u work out the median?

this is wot i did:

f(x) = 1/3 0<=x<1
= 8x^(3)/45 1<=x<=2
= 0 elsewhere

the median will be in the second bit

so integrate with limits m and 1 making it equal to a half

rearrange to make x subject

and you should get a quartic root

someone validate me
badboy killa
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
My immediate thought was to use the Normal approximation because they asked you how to find the mean and the variance in the question before that. But when i thought about it, it seemed so much easier to use Po(10) approximation.
2Pacalypse
Report 15 years ago
for the last question F(x) i mistakingly put -13/45 instead of plus 13/45 the question was out of 7 and up till that point it was ok so how many marks would i expect to get?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you do not get the A-level grades you want this summer, what is your likely next step?

Take autumn exams (55)
44%
Take exams next summer (24)
19.2%
Change uni choice through clearing (30)
24%
Apply to uni next year instead (13)
10.4%
I'm not applying to university (3)
2.4%

Watched Threads