Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I join my local rugby club as a beginner? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I am 23 and wanting to get a new hobby and id quite like to get into rugby. My only issue is I've never really played and i worry that its too late and if i started at my local rugby club now, id just be a nuisance at training sessions and the rest of the club would just rather i wasn't there.

I went to a rugby school and had to play until 3rd year but i was never really into it when i was younger and didn't really know the rules so i switched sports when i could and feel like I've missed an opportunity. Now I've got into watching it the past few years through my mates and think its a class game and id like to get into the social activity of a club as well.

Now most of the rugby lads and teachers from my school and 2 of my mates have just started playing at my local club and would know about my lack of history and so i think would write me off from the start anyway and would rather i didn't waste anyones time dropping the ball every two minutes and not knowing what im doing.

So I was hoping if theres any other senior grass roots rugby players who could give their view on the protocol of someone new joining the club who is starting from scratch.

Would you rather they didn't bother coming or are you happy enough to put up with them until they find a groove?

ReputationRep:
    I've played rugby since I was about five and have never stopped, i now coach and referee as well as play for my local adult team. When I was younger new people joining who didn't have any or much experience playing was annoying but we did have a very good squad and we always helped the new players into the squad and develop. They did get some stick and a lot of banter was directed their way. I'm playing up a year as we didn't have enough under 18s for a team and we had a few new players join the adults and they quickly got involved in everything and were helped by most the players. Definitely give it a go in my opinion but be prepared for a little bit of stick from some of the players, but on the whole you should be welcomed by the club as local teams are often in need of new players all the time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.