Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any tips to help do really well in mechanics??
    I got 70/75 in FP1 paper and was the only person in the year to get an A in physics, but for some reason, I'm not keen on the unit at all and it would be really nice if some of you could share your tips / tricks on it. My teacher said it should be a really easy top mark paper - is it really all down to practise?
    Also, should I do M2 next or D2? I'm thinking M2 because then M1 will seem super easy... Hopefully...
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrueDAN)
    Anyone got any tips to help do really well in mechanics??
    I got 70/75 in FP1 paper and was the only person in the year to get an A in physics, but for some reason, I'm not keen on the unit at all and it would be really nice if some of you could share your tips / tricks on it. My teacher said it should be a really easy top mark paper - is it really all down to practise?
    Also, should I do M2 next or D2? I'm thinking M2 because then M1 will seem super easy... Hopefully...
    Thanks
    Diagrams. Draw big diagrams. Sometimes I will just stare at a question for awhile and not get anywhere, but as soon as I break the question down and draw a diagram in appreciation of it, it makes a lot more sense.

I would say, with mechanics, it's very important to make sure you understand the content well and not just try to memorise lots of questions and techniques. The actual method of solving many of these questions is quite standard - involving a bit of algebra - but the main trouble often comes from misunderstandings. So what I would suggest is to ensure you take the time to understand why you are doing what you are doing - i.e. considering the vertical motion of a projectile or whatever - as things should start to become clearer then.

With the last one, it just depends on what you enjoy. If you'll enjoy decision maths, take decision maths. If you enjoy mechanics, take mechanics. M2 does make M1 a lot easier. But ultimately, do what you enjoy - not just what might be easier. If you are doing a module you enjoy, you are more likely to do well in it anyways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingaaran)
    Diagrams. Draw big diagrams. Sometimes I will just stare at a question for awhile and not get anywhere, but as soon as I break the question down and draw a diagram in appreciation of it, it makes a lot more sense.

I would say, with mechanics, it's very important to make sure you understand the content well and not just try to memorise lots of questions and techniques. The actual method of solving many of these questions is quite standard - involving a bit of algebra - but the main trouble often comes from misunderstandings. So what I would suggest is to ensure you take the time to understand why you are doing what you are doing - i.e. considering the vertical motion of a projectile or whatever - as things should start to become clearer then.

With the last one, it just depends on what you enjoy. If you'll enjoy decision maths, take decision maths. If you enjoy mechanics, take mechanics. M2 does make M1 a lot easier. But ultimately, do what you enjoy - not just what might be easier. If you are doing a module you enjoy, you are more likely to do well in it anyways.
    Thanks so so much!!!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.