Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If anyone attends the sixth form in Birmingham, can you give me an honest opinion on how you find it? And if anyone is applying there, if they have obtained an conditional offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oblivion99)
    If anyone attends the sixth form in Birmingham, can you give me an honest opinion on how you find it? And if anyone is applying there, if they have obtained an conditional offer?
    Perhaps if you could detail the subjects you hope to study there, a better response can be given.

But as a general overview, it's not too bad. It's not as amazing you might think it to be. You get your own centre with an exclusive computer room, cafe and hall. However, many of the computers are broken, many are used by students who play games or watch mindless videos (an indication of the level of study done here), and it's hard to get work done around without being distracted or being a distraction to someone else.
    It's a standard sixth form really and many can be really reckless.

(Original post by RMNDK)
    Perhaps if you could detail the subjects you hope to study there, a better response can be given.

But as a general overview, it's not too bad. It's not as amazing you might think it to be. You get your own centre with an exclusive computer room, cafe and hall. However, many of the computers are broken, many are used by students who play games or watch mindless videos (an indication of the level of study done here), and it's hard to get work done around without being distracted or being a distraction to someone else.
    It's a standard sixth form really and many can be really reckless.
    Do you go there? And I plan to do maths, history, french & chemistry . Ive heard alot of negative opinions of the sixthform and the school (drugs, fights, social and racial abuse) but my school is WAAAAYYY worster so its second nature to me :P

ReputationRep:
    Do you go there? And I plan to do maths, history, french & chemistry . Ive heard alot of negative opinions of the sixthform and the school (drugs, fights, social and racial abuse) but my school is WAAAAYYY worster so its second nature to me :P
    do not listen to the above person. Work is done there, end of the day they never became UK's top grammar school for nothing they have the best grades... And the fact that people get distracted doesn't mean **** tbh because you have to put the effort in going to a great school ain't like riding a unicorn into a rainbow and defo getting amazing grades you have to work for it. I suggest you go there its great! I'm not there I'm from HGS but my brother goes there and he knows how good it is.

But you know thats my 2 cents for you take it or leave it

p.s: no drugs, fights, racists are there.

ReputationRep:
    I went to the open evening and the sixth form is rather impressive. The teachers seemed approachable and the environment is very friendly. My friends sister used to go there and she absolutely loved it. Drugs, racists and fights are non existent. I do not know where you got that from.

(Original post by RoadtoSuccess)
    do not listen to the above person. Work is done there, end of the day they never became UK's top grammar school for nothing they have the best grades... And the fact that people get distracted doesn't mean **** tbh because you have to put the effort in going to a great school ain't like riding a unicorn into a rainbow and defo getting amazing grades you have to work for it. I suggest you go there its great! I'm not there I'm from HGS but my brother goes there and he knows how good it is.

But you know thats my 2 cents for you take it or leave it

Holy ****, you're from HGS?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Doesen't Mr Bird **** you off when you dont tuck your shirt in :P

ReputationRep:
    Yes I go there.
    I'm in A2 so I kinda know the ins and outs.
    While I can't comment on history and french (although my friend did it and it was such a great year he says)...

Maths and Chemistry are actually the best subjects at our sixth form because you will have the most subject teachers.
    In maths, most teachers are superb. They really know their stuff, they're very approachable during and after the lessons, they will really make sure you understand each math concept.
    Same with chemistry, there are some amazing teachers and I'm not just saying that to big my school up. My teacher explained things so well, we didn't even use the textbook at all during the entire year, not even for questions. He always provided resources. The thing with chemistry is that you actually don't need to make and learn all that jazz in the textbook, the teachers know exactly what you must put in the exam (although since A-Levels are changing, I can't comment anymore).
    For chem and maths, there are tons of support to help you. The downside is that they are also some of the chunkiest classes so you may get those disruptive kids.

Drugs? Smoking is the only one.
    Fights? Yes that has happened before but it's not like some recurring thing. I think there was only one fight last year.
    Abuse? Not that I'm aware of? Most of our year is sensible and civil. Yeah a lot of people mess about and yes they can be real annoying but they're more behaved and decent than the other students I've seen and worked in other schools (again, not just saying that to big my school up).

I'll just reiterate the point that it's not that the sixth form is so negative. It's the fact that, people envision our sixth form to be phenomenal and then when they come here it's just above standard. That doesn't make it negative, it just detracts that wow factor. By all means come but you won't really be disadvantaged if you went for instance to Stourbridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoadtoSuccess)
    do not listen to the above person.

Thanks bro. Really appreciate it.
    :crossedf:

People working hard, and the quality of teaching of the school are different.

ReputationRep:
    Holy ****, you're from HGS?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Doesen't Mr Bird **** you off when you dont tuck your shirt in :P
    LMAO yeah he does how did you know?

ReputationRep:
    OMG did you hear about what happened to Mani!!! He was my cousins friend. Tragic.
    Please don't post anything too much on here.

I strongly urge you to delete that post or at least refrain from talking on here.
    I'm not saying it's disrespectful or that you're crossing some sort of line.

But I just don't want you to cross that line because out of respect for Mani and his parent's we don't want to say anything too revealing.

You can message me all you want but I mean, this is a public forum so yaknow

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.