The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Accommodation opinions from current bath students?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fas
Marlborough/Solsbury is the best accommodation on your list OP, hands down. Norwood is probably one of the ugliest buildings I have ever seen, and unless you're a good 5-6 floors above the club, the noise is going to destroy your soul.

Westwood and Eastwood are OK, they're more the standard student accommodation you'd expect to find at other uni's. If you really want quality though, go Quads. That place is so good, room size aside.

The essence of university is not to live in a feckin' En-Suite, dammit. Hence, Eastwood and Westwood are outstanding choices for a block that you're going to absolutely trash anyway.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by Bath_Student
The essence of university is not to live in a feckin' En-Suite, dammit. Hence, Eastwood and Westwood are outstanding choices for a block that you're going to absolutely trash anyway.

I don't think the 'essence of university' would include bathroom facilities. It's so trivial. I feel like you're making a big deal over a person wanting an en-suite when its just a matter of personal choice.
Original post by undine_monty
I don't think the 'essence of university' would include bathroom facilities. It's so trivial. I feel like you're making a big deal over a person wanting an en-suite when its just a matter of personal choice.

I agree, it is trivial, but still against the essence of university, ie of scraping by stingily using skills of budgeting and frugality. A shower in your own room makes it seem like an extended, posh holiday, no longer like student life IMO, maybe not yours.
I agree, it is trivial, but still against the essence of university, ie of scraping by stingily using skills of budgeting and frugality. A shower in your own room makes it seem like an extended, posh holiday, no longer like student life IMO, maybe not yours.

Well, to each their own
I'm finding it hard deciding between applying for Solsbury/Marlborough and Woodland, what are the main differences? I know Woodland has larger kitchens - does this make it more sociable???
Original post by katiehoward2
I'm finding it hard deciding between applying for Solsbury/Marlborough and Woodland, what are the main differences? I know Woodland has larger kitchens - does this make it more sociable???

Solsbury/Marlborough have single beds. 7 sharing a kitchen.

Woodland has double beds, a flat screen monitor, 8-15 sharing a kitchen. It doesn't necessaily mean more sociable, having more people. It depends on how sociable the people you're sharing a flat with are. Woodland also comes with a tv and tv licence and a VOIP phone.

What course did you apply for?
Ah thank you!! I've applied for maths, and i really like the sound of woodland tbh but are the kitchens a bit of a squeeze?? Also is there a common room is S/M or just Woodland?
Ah thank you!! I've applied for maths, and i really like the sound of woodland tbh but are the kitchens a bit of a squeeze?? Also is there a common room is S/M or just Woodland?

Put your maths skill to work and figure that Woodland is financial suicide. What's wrong with Eastwood?? It has everything you'll ever need. And please don't say you need a television, you're at university! Eastwood comes with showers, bathrooms, a kitchen sufficient in size, a makeshift common room / lounge for much cheaper than fecking Woodland. You don't need your own shower at uni, a television, a bathroom. Dammit.

/rant.

There are student lounges at Norwood, Brendon, Woodland and Polden Court & the Quads.

I reckon the kitchens would be big enough for the amount of people living in the flat.
Put your maths skill to work and figure that Woodland is financial suicide. What's wrong with Eastwood?? It has everything you'll ever need. And please don't say you need a television, you're at university! Eastwood comes with showers, bathrooms, a kitchen sufficient in size, a makeshift common room / lounge for much cheaper than fecking Woodland. You don't need your own shower at uni, a television, a bathroom. Dammit.

/rant.

I was up until about 2 weeks ago planning on a London uni so believe me financial suicide is farrrrr from Woodland's pricing, and I budgeted for a lot higher because of this
There are student lounges at Norwood, Brendon, Woodland and Polden Court & the Quads.

I reckon the kitchens would be big enough for the amount of people living in the flat.

Okay thank you, that's useful!
I was up until about 2 weeks ago planning on a London uni so believe me financial suicide is farrrrr from Woodland's pricing, and I budgeted for a lot higher because of this

Maintenance loan?

Hi,

As posted above, some of our halls come with lounge space. Woodland has a relatively large kitchen, with a television so your kitchen is in effect your social space. Although a lot of people prefer a separate lounge, it is nice that you can cook dinner and have people watching TV with flat mates at the same time. We sometimes find in Quads that there are some of us in the kitchen whilst others are separated in the lounge. Woodland Court has very spacious bedrooms also, which makes up for having less communal space.

My suggestion would be to base your decisions on how sociable you are. If you enjoy your own space and feel that you would spend most of your time by yourself, don't worry too much about a lounge and take the potentially bigger room/lower fees.

Hayden

Hi Katie,

Marlborough and Solsbury court were renovated last year so have modern facilities. I would say that the main difference is that Woodland Court has larger beds, but is also has a lot more people to a kitchen. I would base my decision on how many people I would like to live with in this case!

Hayden
Original post by Fas
Marlborough/Solsbury is the best accommodation on your list OP, hands down. Norwood is probably one of the ugliest buildings I have ever seen, and unless you're a good 5-6 floors above the club, the noise is going to destroy your soul.Westwood and Eastwood are OK, they're more the standard student accommodation you'd expect to find at other uni's. If you really want quality though, go Quads. That place is so good, room size aside.

Put your maths skill to work and figure that Woodland is financial suicide. What's wrong with Eastwood?? It has everything you'll ever need. And please don't say you need a television, you're at university! Eastwood comes with showers, bathrooms, a kitchen sufficient in size, a makeshift common room / lounge for much cheaper than fecking Woodland. You don't need your own shower at uni, a television, a bathroom. Dammit./rant.

Hi,

Ensuite or no ensuite is a very small part of the university decision making process, please do not worry about it too much! We have lots of non-ensuite rooms making up a large amount of the campus community. All of this comes down to personal preference completely!

To me 'student life' is primarily about devoting yourself to a subject that you are passionate about. You will be happy and have a great time wherever you choose to live! There isn't really such thing as the best accommodation, it is all about choosing what is best for yourselves.

Hayden
Original post by University Of Bath
Hi,

Ensuite or no ensuite is a very small part of the university decision making process, please do not worry about it too much! We have lots of non-ensuite rooms making up a large amount of the campus community. All of this comes down to personal preference completely!

To me 'student life' is primarily about devoting yourself to a subject that you are passionate about. You will be happy and have a great time wherever you choose to live! There isn't really such thing as the best accommodation, it is all about choosing what is best for yourselves.

Hayden

Indeed, coming home to a flat-screen TV is not what university is about.
Indeed, coming home to a flat-screen TV is not what university is about.

University is about studying and having a good time. Someone's idea of fun to relax from the stresses of student life with a plethora of essays and reading assignments, might be to watch TV. There's nothing wrong with that.
University is about studying and having a good time. Someone's idea of fun to relax from the stresses of student life with a plethora of essays and reading assignments, might be to watch TV. There's nothing wrong with that.

Nah, but the vast majority of students will watch TV on their laptops. In most halls rooms you get a second monitor anyway which you can hook up to your laptop. I used that all the time as a TV in first year.
Original post by RibenaRockstar
Nah, but the vast majority of students will watch TV on their laptops. In most halls rooms you get a second monitor anyway which you can hook up to your laptop. I used that all the time as a TV in first year.

I watch tv shows on my laptop as well. My point was that its fine if someone wants to use a TV at university
Does anyone know what Osborne house is like?
An ensuite shower there is £30.00 cheaper than the others.

Quick Reply

Latest