Turn on thread page Beta

Nail biting... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've recently noticed that I've started a new bad habit, biting my nails! :eek: I've never done it before, and now I just can't seem to stop Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what did you do about it? Any comments welcome (within reason)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleff)
    I've recently noticed that I've started a new bad habit, biting my nails! :eek: I've never done it before, and now I just can't seem to stop Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what did you do about it? Any comments welcome (within reason)
    I've done it forever... and never been able to stop

ReputationRep:
    I don't exactly bite my nails, just sometimes pick the bits around the edges when i'm feeling fidgety.

I think the best thing to do is not let them get long enough!

ReputationRep:
    It's the stressss. All mine are breaking so I can't help biting them now...meh, it'll all be over next week.
    Try getting one of those french manicure packs, if your nails look pretty you'll be less tempted to bite them. Mine were really long before the exams because I did one twice a week. Bodycare do a nice one for £3.99 that is, if you don't mind painting your nails lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    I don't exactly bite my nails, just sometimes pick the bits around the edges when i'm feeling fidgety.

I think the best thing to do is not let them get long enough!
    im doing it now!!!!!!
    and thats gross but again i do it

ReputationRep:
    my nail biting has got so bad that i bite off the thin layer on top of the nail.. lol i better stop asap

ReputationRep:
    I tend to flick my hair alot, which is a bit embarrasing as it's apprently supposed to signify that you fancy the person whoever you're flicking your hair at!lol has it ever occurred to people that it can possibly be because it's in the way?! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koldtoast)
    my nail biting has got so bad that i bite off the thin layer on top of the nail.. lol i better stop asap
    i do that arghh im gross!!!!

ReputationRep:
    i use nail clippers mostly, i cut my nails right down all the time, the clippers are next to me at all times - i also clip the skin around my nails - my fingers always hurt when they're in water or soaked

ReputationRep:
    I'm guilty.

I'll probably catch the plague through it, but I don't care. It's satisfying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muncrun)
    I'm guilty.

I'll probably catch the plague through it, but I don't care. It's satisfying.
    that is very very true

ReputationRep:
    i dont bite nails myself but my brother used to. Go down to boots and ask for this bottle which looks like a bottle of nail polish but as actually clear and you cant see it when you put it on your nails. Most guys have a problem with this (i've suggested it to a few of my nail biting friends), because they have too much stupid male pride to put stuff on their nails - but i assure you, you cant tell it's there, it's completely clear.
    So what's the point of doing it? Well the stuff tastes absolutely revolting - every time you bite your nails you get a horrid taste in your mouth, and you soon stop biting them entirely. Trust me, it works (at least on my brother it did) - so go down to boots and ask about it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    i dont bite nails myself but my brother used to. Go down to boots and ask for this bottle which looks like a bottle of nail polish but as actually clear and you cant see it when you put it on your nails. Most guys have a problem with this (i've suggested it to a few of my nail biting friends), because they have too much stupid male pride to put stuff on their nails - but i assure you, you cant tell it's there, it's completely clear.
    So what's the point of doing it? Well the stuff tastes absolutely revolting - every time you bite your nails you get a horrid taste in your mouth, and you soon stop biting them entirely. Trust me, it works (at least on my brother it did) - so go down to boots and ask about it!
    i work in a pet shop and they put anti puppy chew on my nails that was revolting!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    i did that- but worked out that if you did it for long enough that the taste went away!!
    Also- it made all my food taste disgusting if i ate with my fingers eg. sandwiches!!
    Probably only cos i'm weird tho

ReputationRep:
    Ive biten my nails forever, before my P3 exam I basically just massacred my fingers, we had to wait an extra 20 minutes whilst the lights were being fixed and it just killed me. I got into the exam and my nails were practically bleeding, the skin at the top of the fingers looked pretty horrid and my nails were about half their normal size :|

ReputationRep:
    Hehe I just bite off the sides of my nails. I dunno how it started but I only realised when my little brother pointed it out.

ReputationRep:
    My sister has started sucking her thumb again now she's doing her GCSEs, it's really silly - she quit when she got her braces but now they're off, she's doing it again, and guess what? Her teeth are back to normal.

I'm a fidget generally, can't sit still, but I don't have one specific bad habit.

ReputationRep:
    I also bite my nails and all ove the skin around my thumb. Its really gross but when its dry i just can't help but chew! I agree about the stress because in my exam my finger was actually bleeding and it was really painful holding the pen for the last half hour. However, i also think its bordem when theres nothing to do i alsways bite may nails.

If you keep them short I always find it helps as theres nothing to bite.

ReputationRep:
    my mum always sed that licking the toilet seet is more hygeenic than bitting your nails. but i never pay attention and ibite them all the time. that boots stuff doest work either, reviolting on your food! yuk

ReputationRep:
    i used to bite my nails. now i get acrylic nails so they'r long and look really nice... and i still chew them.

lou xxx

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.