Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am choosing my GCSE subjects soon and I don't know what I should take... I want to take art, double lang (those two are quite defo) and possibly textilles, computer science or something more academic... my parents want me to take academic subjects but I really don't know. They are putting a lot of pressure on me and saying that art and design is rubbish and cannot help you....
    AHH! I really don't know1 Please Help!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    It has to be what you want to do. After all, you're going to be the one studying the subject for the next few years.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by BeHappyyy)
    I am choosing my GCSE subjects soon and I don't know what I should take... I want to take art, double lang (those two are quite defo) and possibly textilles, computer science or something more academic... my parents want me to take academic subjects but I really don't know. They are putting a lot of pressure on me and saying that art and design is rubbish and cannot help you....
    AHH! I really don't know1 Please Help!
    Hey in my opinion, it is best to take what you will enjoy and potentially get a good grade in. I took a couple of what would be considered "weak" GCSE subjects and they haven't hindered me at all. Grades are far more important, no one really cares about the subjects

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeHappyyy)
    x
    I finished my GCSEs last year and my main advice is do what you enjoy doing. You're going to be spending the next two years doing them, after all. I chose DT as one of my subjects because there was nothing else I was interested in doing and I have to say, I regret it. The lessons were dull and I didn't do to well because I didn't want to do it! It was so frustrating!
    As for academic subjects, maths and sciences are mandatory, so you have a few already! If you're good at essay writing, geography or history or philosophy would be a good choice because they're considered quite academic (geography is considered a science in some unis!).
    Just go with what you enjoy and make sure you have a few friends in the subjects you have chosen. You might be quite happy to work on your own, but if you find you work better around people you know and like, then friends are a necessity!
    I wish you the best of luck and hope it all works out with your parents.

ReputationRep:
    Even if you do not want a career in those non-academic subjects, it is still great to take something that you will enjoy. My non-academic subject is Art which is just nice as it is relaxing (although there is a lot of coursework) and it's a break from those tough subjects which you need as they can be very stressful sometimes. Thats my opinion anyway. Good luck in choosing!

ReputationRep:
    I can't advise you on most of those subjects because I don't do them, but doing double languages is great and I definitely would recommend (not that I'm biased or anything ). Honestly though, you're the one sitting the exams, not your parents. Do what you want to do and what you enjoy because if you do something you don't like, you probably wont want to revise for it when the exams come around. For example, I took geography because I didn't really know what else to take and it was the biggest mistake of my life (may be a bit of an exaggeration there) but really though, I hate it so much and I just cannot revise for it because I find it so dull and I honestly don't think there's any chance of me passing now Like Changing Skies said, the grades are more important than the subjects you take, so just take what YOU think you'll do well in

Good luck with your decisions!

ReputationRep:
    Take Art and Design if you want to but if i was in your place I would be taking History or Geography instead as humanities are more respected. You will also get the ebacc which is highly respected if you get a A*-C or whatever that new number system is in Maths, English Lang, Science, humanities and language (you are taking two). It all at last depends on what field you want to go in but having those subjects at GCSE would be highly useful in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raleighs)
    Just go with what you enjoy and make sure you have a few friends in the subjects you have chosen. You might be quite happy to work on your own, but if you find you work better around people you know and like, then friends are a necessity!
    I wish you the best of luck and hope it all works out with your parents.
    I wouldn't recommend choosing your options around your friends because you usually find that those friends aren't in your lessons and you make new ones anyway. Don't chose options based on friends because that's like choosing your options based on the chances of getting a certain teacher.

Btw art isn't as easy as you'd think it's probably one of the hardest because of dedication and time needed but it's worth it in the end and is relaxing.
    Computer Science is pretty hard though (quite a few people change this subject for another) compared to IT which is fairly easier.
    If you're looking for an easy A then Media. Simple as.
    For textiles there's quite a lot of coursework to be done before you get making. My friends are only going to start their dress in a week or so and finish it way next year so for textiles you need patience.
    But like everyone else has said do what you love and what's relevant to your career choices so you won't regret it a year down the line when it's too late to change subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Pick subjects you're good at- that's the best way to do it. And put your future career in mind- I k know it's early, but If you have any thoughts do some research to find the most appropriate subjects. Art and textiles will be useful if you choose a relavent field. If your parents are putting pressure on you, just ask them whether they'd rather you get good grades or not. If you are better at arts then go with that. I'm not taking art or textiles so I'm no help there, but I can assure you that taking double language is a good decision(at least for me it was). I'm doing French and Spanish and there is a lot of overlap that makes translations much easier.
    Good luck. Take what you feel most comfortable with- I'm halfway through my first year of it all and I can assure you taking subjects you dislike is not smart.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.