Difference between antigens, recognition & attachment proteins Watch

Jennifer50
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
What the difference between antigens and recognition proteins? Also is there such thing as attachment proteins, if so what do they do?
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jennifer50)
What the difference between antigens and recognition proteins? Also is there such thing as attachment proteins, if so what do they do?
Antigens are foreign molecule that are not made inside the host. Recognition proteins are the surface proteins found on the surface of body cells, used in particular for cellular communication
Jennifer50
Rep:
?
What do you mean by "cellular communication" and also where are antigens made then if not the host cell? For example what makes the antigens on a body cell then? And exactly what is the use of antigens?
zombiejon
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What do you mean by "cellular communication" and also where are antigens made then if not the host cell? For example what makes the antigens on a body cell then? And exactly what is the use of antigens?
Cellular communication - prime example for A level would be when the axon of one neuron releases neurotransmitters taken up by another cell. Or the hormone system involving adrenaline/gonadotropin/insulin.

Recognition proteins are different. It's more along the lines of immune cells saying "Hey, this guy is one ours! We don't need to kill it!" This is part of the basis of the ABO blood typing system via MHC surface markers.

Antigens are primarily produced by non-self cells. Using the ABO example: Patient 1 is O negative (negative refers to the Rhesus factor). A blood transfusion from Patient 2 (expression of type A markers on cells) is put into Patient 1. Since Patient 1 normally does not have type A markers, the blood from Patient 2 immediately stimulates an immune response in Patient 1.

Another example would be lipopolysaccharide (LPS) expressed by gram negative bacteria. It isn't normally produced by the human body, thereby inducing an immune response.
Jennifer50
Rep:
?
Didn't you mention that cellar communication was enabled by recognition proteins?
zombiejon
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Didn't you mention that cellar communication was enabled by recognition proteins?
It wasn't me who said that.

From an immunology/cell biology point of view:
Recognition proteins are for identifying self/non-self.
Receptor proteins are for cellular communication/uptake of ions.

It is possible that A level terminology may have changed since I last covered these topics, but I doubt that is the case.
Jennifer50
Rep:
?
So when hiv is about to infect doesn't it's attachment protein bind to a receptor cell of the host cell?
zombiejon
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So when hiv is about to infect doesn't it's attachment protein bind to a receptor cell of the host cell?
It does. Depending on the strain, CCR5 or CXCR4 are used for infection of cells.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (38)
10.03%
I used to but I don't now (12)
3.17%
No, but I want to start (136)
35.88%
No, I am unable to (86)
22.69%
No, I chose not to (107)
28.23%