Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm not sure about the answers to these questions so any help would be appreciated

1 Propan-2-ol can be formed by the hydration of an alkene in the presence of a catalyst. Suggest a suitable catalyst for this reaction.
    I guessed phosphorus but I'm not sure if that's the right answer.
    2 Leaf alcohol reacts with bromine. State what you would see when bromine reacts with leaf alcohol.
    3 Write a balanced equation for the conversion of ethene into ethanol. State the essential conditions.
    I guessed the equation would be:
    C2H4(g) + H2O(g) ---> C2H5OH(l)
    but I'm not sure what the conditions would be.
    4 State the problem associated with the combustion of polymers such as PVC.
    5 State two ways in which chemists are trying to minimise the damage to the environment caused by the disposal of halogenated plastics such as PVC.

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cassie05)
    Hi, I'm not sure about the answers to these questions so any help would be appreciated

1 Propan-2-ol can be formed by the hydration of an alkene in the presence of a catalyst. Suggest a suitable catalyst for this reaction.
    2 Leaf alcohol reacts with bromine. State what you would see when bromine reacts with leaf alcohol.
    3 Write a balanced equation for the conversion of ethene into ethanol. State the essential conditions.
    5 State two ways in which chemists are trying to minimise the damage to the environment caused by the disposal of halogenated plastics such as PVC.

Thanks in advance!
    1. Phosphoric acid
    2. Not a clue as it's not on my spec
    3. 300 celsius, 60 atm
    4. This is obvious, just think.
    5. Same as above

ReputationRep:
    i.e. (Z)-hex-3-en-1-ol

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

Okay, let's see what we can do.

This is just a reaction that you need to memorise! Therefore you should have the answer somewhere in your class notes but the catalyst for a hydration reaction is concentrated phosphoric acid.

Close! :yep:

Okay so do you know what a leaf alcohol is? 'Hex-3-en-1-ol' is a type of leaf alcohol. From the IUPAC name, I think you can see that it contains the alkene functional group( I've highlited it for you in bold just in case). Again, the bromine water reaction is another compulsory memorisation type thing so from your unit 2 knowledge you should know that alkenes decolourise bromine water. Therefore the observation when bromine reacts with leaf alcohol is that it changes from orange/brown to colourless.

The balanced equation is right, so well done! The conditions are:

- High Temperature. (300C)
    - High Pressure. (6.5MPa)
    - Conc. Phosphoric acid catalyst.

Just remember to learn these!

For the last two questions, this website has all the information you need!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...olymers2.shtml

Thanks in advance!
    :borat:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the help, it's really appreciated

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.