Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should 16 year olds be aloud to vote? watch

ReputationRep:
    I would like to propose a debate. The question being:

"Should people in the UK over the age of 16 be allowed to vote in all UK elections and referendums?"

All age groups are welcome to comment.

ReputationRep:
    They should not be allowed* to vote.

ReputationRep:
    16 year olds would need to learn to spell first.

ReputationRep:
    No. When I was 16 I thought I knew all the solutions to the world's problems, I thought I was the exception and mature for my age, and that the world would be a better place if everyone agreed with my opinions.

Having grown up I now realize that every 16 year old thinks exactly the same thing. A lot of the views I used to hold I think are stupid and naive, but it's impossible to understand that at 16.

ReputationRep:
    I am personally in favor of votes for 16 year olds, as crucial decisions that affect many young people reaching working age are being made by older generations who may not fully consult young people when making them. At least if young people are given a vote in general elections then the government has more of a mandate when making the policies they do. For example the scrapping of university grants for student nurses will directly affect future student nurses who are currently 16 and 17, yet they had no say in the current government.
    (Side note: I am not completely against the Conservatives and am more neutral when it comes to party politics)

ReputationRep:
    No, personally I think 18 is a good age for full responsibility for everything, even if you don't think you're old enough to make those decisions, you're more likely to accept that fact and work around it rather than just doing what other people say

ReputationRep:
    I came here to correct the title and make a joke but it seems I am too late lmfao

(Original post by Ekno)
    I came here to correct the title and make a joke but it seems I am too late lmfao
    You and me both lol

ReputationRep:
    No, it should be 17

ReputationRep:
    No. 18 is fine. I dont want thousands of wannabe pikey little shits voting, who the majority have no idea what they are talking about

ReputationRep:
    I voted in the Scottish Referendum. I would say that 16-18 year olds were exceptionally well informed about the arguments. Probably better informed than many adults. The voting age for Scottish elections is now 16. Why shouldn't 16 year olds have a say in decisions that will impact on them ? There I s no logical answer other than ignorance and prejudice against the young. If a 16 year old can pay tax, Natiinal Insurance and join the forces then they most definitely should have the right to vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DougallnDougall)
    I voted in the Scottish Referendum. I would say that 16-18 year olds were exceptionally well informed about the arguments. Probably better informed than many adults. The voting age for Scottish elections is now 16. Why shouldn't 16 year olds have a say in decisions that will impact on them ? There I s no logical answer other than ignorance and prejudice against the young. If a 16 year old can pay tax, Natiinal Insurance and join the forces then they most definitely should have the right to vote.
    Please excuse they typos!

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17 and during the build-up to the General Election I was outraged that I, a seemingly knowledgeable well-informed person, could not vote. However it quickly became clear to me during actual election time that I was about as informed as a cardboard box.

I do not believe that 16 year-olds no matter how 'mature they are for their age' should be able to vote just yet. It certainly isn't enough time for you to have fully made up your mind about how you side on politics, as even though you don't realise it, you are heavily influenced by people like teachers and your family.

ReputationRep:
    No, most of us have no idea what actually is going on and so we'll mess up all the votes
    Spoiler:
    Show
    don't want to offend but it's mostly true

ReputationRep:
    No, 18 is fine. If we move it down to 16, we'll have 14 and 15 year olds going "Well I'm really mature! I should be allowed to vote aswell!" We have to have a cut off somewhere. And I really don't think many 16 years olds really know enough to vote. Heck, I'm 20 and I don't feel mature enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    They should not be allowed* to vote.
    Sorry didn't notice that. It's been a busy day. Changed it in the original post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alphaxavier)
    I would like to propose a debate. The question being:

"Should people in the UK over the age of 16 be allowed to vote in all UK elections and referendums?"

All age groups are welcome to comment.
    Thread title is all the reason you need why 16 year olds shouldnt be allowed to vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DougallnDougall)
    Totally agree with this; I think there are pros and cons because inevitably there will be many 16 year olds who vote randomly for a laugh or just go with what their friends vote for, but 16 year olds generally care about their future whereas wealthy old folks often vote very selfishly without a thought for the younger generations.
    but because 16 year olds can also be misinformed, I'm okay with 18 as well I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    No. The average 16 year old doesn't know jack **** about most things going on. Galloway and his fam need to stop acting so desperate in order to gain more Labour voters.

"but muh elections will affect his future as well"

That applies to all underage individuals.

18 is a pretty arbitrary age, but a decent one that coincides with most people graduating from school and living independently etc. Although one could argue that raising it to 19 or 20 would allow them to live in the "real world" (whatever that is) for a couple of years before deciding on how their country is to be run.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah agreed 16 year olds should learn to spell first

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.