Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So i've recently decided to sort out my life and move into a much healthier lifestyle. Being a complete beginner with **** all strength I decided StrongLifts 5x5 would be the best for me to start with.

The main problem is I dont feel my squatting form is very good, im 6'2" and have relatively long legs therefore I find it difficult to hit below parallel without jerking my hips out and having a wide stance.

Another problem thats really been slowing my progress is squats are killing my outer knees, theres no swelling or anything but its very painful when i bent them, i read up it might be ITBS but im not 100% sure.

So to round it up, what is wrong with my form? What can I do to correct it? What can I do to stop getting outside knee pain?

Much love to anyone who can help out

ReputationRep:
    Bump?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not an expert, but my first thought was that you are dropping down very quickly, as if you are falling. Maybe if you tried to squat down in a more slow, controlled manner?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Ekno)
    So i've recently decided to sort out my life and move into a much healthier lifestyle. Being a complete beginner with **** all strength I decided StrongLifts 5x5 would be the best for me to start with.

The main problem is I dont feel my squatting form is very good, im 6'2" and have relatively long legs therefore I find it difficult to hit below parallel without jerking my hips out and having a wide stance.

Another problem thats really been slowing my progress is squats are killing my outer knees, theres no swelling or anything but its very painful when i bent them, i read up it might be ITBS but im not 100% sure.

So to round it up, what is wrong with my form? What can I do to correct it? What can I do to stop getting outside knee pain?

Your form is actually pretty decent. You're coming forward a bit; you need to work on you hip flexibility to make sure your weight is more on your heels. Your ankle flexibility probably could be improved too

It could well be ITBS, but I'm not a doctor and I'm not able to examine you; however if you suspect ITBS, then I recommend you to buy a foam roller. The one off MyProtein is only a tenner and tbh it's pretty good, I have it. Learn to foam roll your IT band, hamstrings, glutes and thoracic spine. Do it for 8 reps minimum (that's 8 rolls up and down your back, one up and down is one rep) and if it is ITBS, it'll cure pretty quickly.

So in order of things to do
    1) Pigeon and lizardyoga stretches for 1-2 min a day per leg, preferably before you go to bed
    2) Buy a foam roller
    3) Add weight to the bar
    4) Start a blog on here
    5) Make all kinds of sweet sweet gains
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    There's also a great how to squat section of the FAQ http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=52094427

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Your form is actually pretty decent. You're coming forward a bit; you need to work on you hip flexibility to make sure your weight is more on your heels. Your ankle flexibility probably could be improved too

It could well be ITBS, but I'm not a doctor and I'm not able to examine you; however if you suspect ITBS, then I recommend you to buy a foam roller. The one off MyProtein is only a tenner and tbh it's pretty good, I have it. Learn to foam roll your IT band, hamstrings, glutes and thoracic spine. Do it for 8 reps minimum (that's 8 rolls up and down your back, one up and down is one rep) and if it is ITBS, it'll cure pretty quickly.

So in order of things to do
    1) Pigeon and lizardyoga stretches for 1-2 min a day per leg, preferably before you go to bed
    2) Buy a foam roller
    3) Add weight to the bar
    4) Start a blog on here
    5) Make all kinds of sweet sweet gains
    You are a God, thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekno)

I agree with the post above me in terms of foam rolling. From what I can see your form looks good. Many people do not have the mobility yet to go extremely low in their squat. Try exercises to increase that mobility in the hip joints.

Also, try keeping your core tight, and chest up, sticking your glutes out, you won't be able to go as low; but will stimulate your quads/hamstrings more.

ReputationRep:
    Your wrist angle is wrong. You want your hands over the bar and wrists straight. Your thumbs should be over the bar too - it is a thumbless grip. Your arms are not supporting the bar, they should only be stopping it from falling off your back.

You may well find it easier to squat deeper with a low bar squat. Look it up.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by illusionz)
    Your wrist angle is wrong. You want your hands over the bar and wrists straight. Your thumbs should be over the bar too - it is a thumbless grip. Your arms are not supporting the bar, they should only be stopping it from falling off your back.

He's highbaring it; whilst I agree on wrist angle; high bar can be with thumb

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)

(Original post by Angry cucumber)
    He's highbaring it; whilst I agree on wrist angle; high bar can be with thumb

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What's easier for a tall person to do, high bar or low bar?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Ekno)
    What's easier for a tall person to do, high bar or low bar?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Did you attach this vid in the PM the other day mate? There was a big blank gap inbetween some of the text so it must not have embedded properly if that was it. Anyhow, I'm the same height as you and also have knee problems if I don't squat the right way for my structure. Try "sitting back" a bit more, I always get pain in my knees if they go too far over my toes. I go high bar but with some sitting back, hybrid stance really:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Did you attach this vid in the PM the other day mate? There was a big blank gap inbetween some of the text so it must not have embedded properly if that was it. Anyhow, I'm the same height as you and also have knee problems if I don't squat the right way for my structure. Try "sitting back" a bit more, I always get pain in my knees if they go too far over my toes. I go high bar but with some sitting back, hybrid stance really:

Yeah it was my vid. Alright cool, thanks i'll have a look. Ive taken some time off squats to stretch out my hips a bit as thats what gets really tight and stops me getting decent depth. Still trying to learn how to 3rd world squat without it feeling like my bones are gonna snap haha
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Ekno)
    Yeah it was my vid. Alright cool, thanks i'll have a look. Ive taken some time off squats to stretch out my hips a bit as thats what gets really tight and stops me getting decent depth. Still trying to learn how to 3rd world squat without it feeling like my bones are gonna snap haha
    What I actually found helpful while I was still learning the form was lifting my toes off the floor as I came down, helps keep your shins more upright and forces you to sit back more as your weight transfers onto your heels. Once you've gotten used to how it feels you can stop lifting your toes which will obviously improve your stability as you go up in weights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    What I actually found helpful while I was still learning the form was lifting my toes off the floor as I came down, helps keep your shins more upright and forces you to sit back more as your weight transfers onto your heels. Once you've gotten used to how it feels you can stop lifting your toes which will obviously improve your stability as you go up in weights.
    alright cool, I think ill stick to just hitting parallel rather going for ATG, a wider stance definitely stretches my adductor area earlier, but that high groin area which attaches to the pelvis does start to hurt a bit

ReputationRep:

This any better lads ? I widened my stance and pointed my toes out a bit more. Ngl it was a bit more comfortable because I did some hip flexor and adductor stretches beforehand. I also pushed my knees out a bit before going down because i found if I dont, my knees track over my big toe rather than whole foot. If you can give me any advice on how to improve it'd be much appreciated.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Ekno Looks good to me buddy
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Better, keep working on your hip mobility and get yourself a foam roller. If you knee is tracking slightly too far in such as over your big toe, try feet slightly straighter with your wider stance and really hammer your stretches.

Your wrist angle still ain't great though, try the thumbless grip as illusionz said

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.