Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What would you advise every GCSE student to do during the summer after they have completed their exams and will move on to AS?
    If you are a sixth form student can you please give details of what it's like in AS and A2 and what you do to get the best possible grades. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Concentrate on getting the desired GCSE grades first...then think about the summer and A Levels.
    I never think of the future because it comes soon enough, as Einstein said.

ReputationRep:
    Enjoy your summer holidays!!! I'd just say that before yr 12 starts, refresh the things you learnt in GCSE for the subjects that you're carrying on. Apart from that, I really do not think you need to learn any A-Level content beforehand, unless if you actually want to that is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, you need a wave of comfort in those 6 weeks especially after the stress of GCSE's however A Levels will bring you into a strong stresssss zzonneeee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaraBZ)
    What would you advise every GCSE student to do during the summer after they have completed their exams and will move on to AS?
    If you are a sixth form student can you please give details of what it's like in AS and A2 and what you do to get the best possible grades. Thank you.
    Relax.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I did nothing during my summer. Most of my subjects are completely different at as compared to gcse but if you're doing languages continue to talk them over the summer!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on doing nothing

ReputationRep:
    Eh... just chill and keep up to date on work when it comes and do a review of everything every half term-ish. No real need for prep for AS.

ReputationRep:
    Relax and do nothing. They'll go over a lot of GCSE stuff at the beginning of Y12 anyway and trust me you will be bored out of your mind - don't make that worse for yourself. Also, if you have any underlying mental health issues, get those sorted out over the summer because Y12 is literally 10 times more stressful than Y11 - I didn't and I am now paying the price!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Honestly just relax, you dont need much prep if im honest, throughout my AS, the begging was rather a smooth transition (i studied psychology, sociology, religious studies and english literature) and i didnt do nuch revision up until the easter holidays. The summer holidays after AS to A2 is when you need to prep.. trust me 😅. To get the best possible grades you need to find out what it is exactly that helps you revise and memorise and make sure its a solid method because it will gwt stressful when you feel like your revision is not working (currently my situation and as long as it may sound, creating a timetable for when and what you shoul revise will be extremely helpful so you can visualise what it is you have to do. Lastly, my head of year always used to say, if you want to get a good grade, you need to have 5 hours extra of revision fo each subject. So if youre taking 4 then you need 20 hours of revision a week which helped me a lot ater easter when i finally put my head down

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your advice and I appreciate everybody else's advice which I will surely take on board.
    (Original post by ykagabo)
    Honestly just relax, you dont need much prep if im honest, throughout my AS, the begging was rather a smooth transition (i studied psychology, sociology, religious studies and english literature) and i didnt do nuch revision up until the easter holidays. The summer holidays after AS to A2 is when you need to prep.. trust me 😅. To get the best possible grades you need to find out what it is exactly that helps you revise and memorise and make sure its a solid method because it will gwt stressful when you feel like your revision is not working (currently my situation and as long as it may sound, creating a timetable for when and what you shoul revise will be extremely helpful so you can visualise what it is you have to do. Lastly, my head of year always used to say, if you want to get a good grade, you need to have 5 hours extra of revision fo each subject. So if youre taking 4 then you need 20 hours of revision a week which helped me a lot ater easter when i finally put my head down

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in Year 13 and whilst I quite enjoyed the transition from GCSE to AS Level, it's still a huge leap. Whilst you should definitely relax and enjoy your summer I would recommend a little bit of wider reading into your subjects you plan to take at AS as it just prepares you for what AS study is like. For example, I take English lit, and I looked around the syllabus at what books I should be reading and had a look into them. Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.