Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Really interested in becoming a Neurologist! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am a 2nd year medical student and recently had my neuro block.
    I loved it! It was really interesting and it finally made me consider Neurologist as a career. I was trying to get some info about the path online, but there doesn't seem to be much info about becomming a neurologist in the UK.

Can someone give me some info about the training required, as well as working times and pay?
    Also how competitive is it? Do I need to start preparing now, if so how?

Really appreciate the replies, as I couldn't find much info from Google searches.

ReputationRep:
    why do you want to become a neurologist? where do you study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _sparks)
    Hi, I am a 2nd year medical student and recently had my neuro block.
    I loved it! It was really interesting and it finally made me consider Neurologist as a career. I was trying to get some info about the path online, but there doesn't seem to be much info about becomming a neurologist in the UK.

Can someone give me some info about the training required, as well as working times and pay?
    Also how competitive is it? Do I need to start preparing now, if so how?

Really appreciate the replies, as I couldn't find much info from Google searches.
    http://www.st3recruitment.org.uk/

This website usually works, but for some reason is offline just now. It gives you precise scoring information for how well people had to do to get a neuro ST3 post.

Neuro post-CCT is quite competitive going by hearsay.

CMT is not terribly competitive.

ReputationRep:
    It's great to be enthusiastic about a specialty so early!

Anecdotally, neurology doesn't seem to be that popular amongst core medical trainees - I think the perception is that it's a lot of degenerative diseases you can't cure and stroke work... I guess competitiveness is a function of both popularity and the number of training vacancies, though; so have a look at the ST3 recruitment website.

Neuro trainees tend to be quite academic and I think it's fair to say that you should expect to undertake an MD/PhD at some point. This would probably be during your higher training (i.e. post-ST3) and be fully funded so you would receive your full clinical salary while studying...

It's hard to understand how competitive a specialty is just from looking at the applicant/place ratio. Don't be put off by whatever number that happens to be - if you direct yourself carefully from this point onwards then it will almost certainly work out if that's still what you want to do later on.

ReputationRep:
    The NHS careers website is also pretty useful for this sort of thing.

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/exp...cine/neurology

ReputationRep:
    Thank you sooo much to everyone who replied! Will definitely look into it

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 26, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.