Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do the GCSE's really count for my future? How important are they? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am doing my GCSE's at the moment but it just confuses me as to how they are going to count for anything in the future. I am hoping to go to University and get a degree which will lead to my job but where do GCSE's come in that? I am not saying that I am not going to try in them because I do want to get the best possible grades but I have just heard that they are only needed to get into sixth form/college.

It's just putting so much stress on me! Would I still be able to pick myself back up if I do horribly in my GCSE's?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dp1828)
    I am doing my GCSE's at the moment but it just confuses me as to how they are going to count for anything in the future. I am hoping to go to University and get a degree which will lead to my job but where do GCSE's come in that? I am not saying that I am not going to try in them because I do want to get the best possible grades but I have just heard that they are only needed to get into sixth form/college.

It's just putting so much stress on me! Would I still be able to pick myself back up if I do horribly in my GCSE's?
    Hi,

I think it depends on what course you want to do at uni- a few look at GCSEs (Medicine for example- but only some unis), but I think most don't. I think the focus is mainly on AS and A2 grades much more than GCSEs.

Don't worry, it's natural to stress! Of course you'll be able to pick yourself up- I know loads of people who have done better in AS than in GCSEs! Just try your best- it's all you can do

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Consider them as a stepping stone to A-Levels. They do matter because you need to get the best grades in the subjects you want to do at A-Level, but generally no they're not that important unless you're thinking about applying for medicine/dentistry/vet med. Generally if you have a C/B in maths, English and a science, you're fine! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewKn0x)
    Consider them as a stepping stone to A-Levels. They do matter because you need to get the best grades in the subjects you want to do at A-Level, but generally no they're not that important unless you're thinking about applying for medicine/dentistry/vet med. Generally if you have a C/B in maths, English and a science, you're fine! Good luck!
    Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7me7)
    Hi,

I think it depends on what course you want to do at uni- a few look at GCSEs (Medicine for example- but only some unis), but I think most don't. I think the focus is mainly on AS and A2 grades much more than GCSEs.

Don't worry, it's natural to stress! Of course you'll be able to pick yourself up- I know loads of people who have done better in AS than in GCSEs! Just try your best- it's all you can do

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you! I want to be a fashion designer so I'm hoping maths and science aren't needed haha.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! I want to be a fashion designer so I'm hoping maths and science aren't needed haha.
    Maths & English are usually needed throughout your life as most jobs will ask for them. If you pass any of your GCSEs these are the ones to aim for! (Not saying you won't, just a general point). Many university courses will require them I believe as well as colleges when you apply to do A -levels although I believe you can retake your GCSE maths/english alongside your A levels.

ReputationRep:

GCSEs count towards the kind of courses you'll take for college for your A levels. Usually, these courses then account for what you'll do at uni.

I believe that you can go to uni without GCSEs, but despite this, some subjects require specific GCSEs if you haven't done a particular subject at A level (college). Psychology at uni normally requires GCSE Maths; Linguistics require a GCSE modern foreign language, etc. Some universities are willing to be flexible - enough experience can also be worth as much as a GCSE. But that's only a few, so I suggest simply giving your best shot at GCSEs and you're practically secured for the future! I too am doing GCSEs, so I wish you the best of luck! Remember, you can redo them

If you do good in GCSES you could pick any career path, however, if you mess up, you will be limiting yourself and not be allowed to do certain courses.

They are important.

ReputationRep:
    no they are completely meaningless.

ReputationRep:
    No need to stress - if you start revising now you'll be immensely confident during exam time. The exams, far from being stressful, will be a welcome opportunity to kick butt and prove yourself

What career are you looking at? Have you thought about any unis in particular? I'm just asking because people will be able to share much more focused info if you tell us
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    it's like a domino effect, you dont do well at gcses? you dont go to college/sixth form, you dont go to uni etc.
    i say ATLEAST do the minimum required for sixth form that is (for me atleast) 5Cs including maths and eng to be able to do a levels. not only that, do the best in the subjects youre thinking of taking to A level.

ReputationRep:
    I think for people doing the reformed A-Levels GCSEs matter more because we don't have the AS Levels to back us up. Universities will probably start looking a little further at GCSEs because we don't have the AS Levels (on most subjects) to prove our capabilities and what not.

ReputationRep:

Trust me, i found myself asking the same question, but as I am in A2, gcses have been really helpful to get into the top uni's as they may ask for you to have achieved 4 A's at GCSE Including English for your degree (Nottingham asked this of me for my English degree) and also, if you didnt do too well in gcse or outstanding lets say, it may hinder your chances of applying to any special programmes with uni during 6th form which in turn may also effect your persobal statement as you may not have much to write if you dont get out there. Also, your gcse's matter for any bursaries you would like to apply for or jobs as they always ask for english and maths
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I left school with no GCSE's, I now have a 2.1 degree, a 30k graduate job and my own flat.

Make of that what you will.

ReputationRep:

If you're doing GCSEs right now, you will of course be aware of the reforms in A levels, which means AS levels don't count as much, so i suspect all unis will look at GCSE results as an indication of your academic ability.

So yes, GCSEs do count, for your CV and for Universities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    I left school with no GCSE's, I now have a 2.1 degree, a 30k graduate job and my own flat.

Omg, how long did it take for you to get the job and flat?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ykagabo)
    Omg, how long did it take for you to get the job and flat?
    6 months after graduation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    No need to stress - if you start revising now you'll be immensely confident during exam time. The exams, far from being stressful, will be a welcome opportunity to kick butt and prove yourself

What career are you looking at? Have you thought about any unis in particular? I'm just asking because people will be able to share much more focused info if you tell us
    I am looking at either being a fashion designer or a politician but I'm not too sure because I'm really passionate about them both

(Original post by sr90)

That's AMAZING! I know loads of people who have dropped out of school and become so successful. It just amazes me

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.