Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, on monday/tuesday I'm going to my local care homes to find some volunteer work. I want to do this because it sounds really rewarding, but at the same time I understand it will help me with my medicine application etc. later.

When med schools say that they want you to volunteer in a caring environment, does it matter what you do to volunteer at the care home? Because basically they were saying that they would like volunteers to help the elderly people there with their technology etc and I really want to do that but I'm not sure if I should do something more 'caring'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)
    hey guys, on monday/tuesday I'm going to my local care homes to find some volunteer work. I want to do this because it sounds really rewarding, but at the same time I understand it will help me with my medicine application etc. later.

When med schools say that they want you to volunteer in a caring environment, does it matter what you do to volunteer at the care home? Because basically they were saying that they would like volunteers to help the elderly people there with their technology etc and I really want to do that but I'm not sure if I should do something more 'caring'?
    Any kind of volunteering is appreciated by universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ii220)
    When are you hoping of applying to Medicine?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    2017 for 2018 entry (so I'm in year 11), which I know is long away but I would like some long-term volunteering under my belt

ReputationRep:

Personally, I think this sounds fantastic! You're doing a combination of things med schools look for: communication skills, teaching (which is quite important), developing patience etc.
    I think you should go for it, you might just get an opportunity for more of a caring role further on in your voluntary work if you ask in a few months. I volunteered and although there were elements of caring, there were normally restrictions on what I could do as an under 18. Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:

It doesn't really matter what you do at the care home because. As long as you can relate it back to medicine then you are fine. When I volunteered at a care home I simply just talked to them and listened to their amazing life stories. Later I took part in activities with them by doing playing games, doing stretching exercises and quizzes which were really fun. After I helped serve breakfast, lunch and other refreshments. It was truly an unforgettable experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louiseelg0rt)
    Personally, I think this sounds fantastic! You're doing a combination of things med schools look for: communication skills, teaching (which is quite important), developing patience etc.
    I think you should go for it, you might just get an opportunity for more of a caring role further on in your voluntary work if you ask in a few months. I volunteered and although there were elements of caring, there were normally restrictions on what I could do as an under 18. Hope that helps!
    Yes, this was really helpful, thanks! I decided that I'll go on tuesday and ask if I can start volunteering

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeadEnd_96)
    It doesn't really matter what you do at the care home because. As long as you can relate it back to medicine then you are fine. When I volunteered at a care home I simply just talked to them and listened to their amazing life stories. Later I took part in activities with them by doing playing games, doing stretching exercises and quizzes which were really fun. After I helped serve breakfast, lunch and other refreshments. It was truly an unforgettable experience.
    That really does sound like an amazing experience Can't wait to start tbh!

Hey I just went to care homes yesterday...got a volunteering place do you know what I'll be doing?

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.