Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Tips for travelling round USA? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Flying to USA for a few weeks in the summer, going to try and do 3/4 different cities...want to try and do flights/accommodation as cheap as possible, any tips for what type of accommodation we should be going for and any other moneysaving tips? How much should I take with me and how much should I expect to spend on flights/hotels?
    Thanks

It depends really how much you want to spend for hotels. You can spend $40 ish a night in a motel, and go down the 'it's only a bed' route, or you can spend $150-$200 a night and splurge a bit. I've done both, and each has its advantages. As you're thinking you want to spend as little as possible, motels are a decent choice, but you'll need to be careful when choosing them.

If you can tell us which cities you're thinking of visiting, I can give you some recommendations for hotels. I've been to all 50 states.

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely recommend you stay in a motel since they're much cheaper than hotels

Well depending on how long you stay (let's say 14 days), you'd need at least $20 a day for food ($280), $300 for shopping ($580), $200 for transportation -unless you planned for that- ($780).
    So I'd say a minimum of $1000 to stay safe.
    However, it's very possible to survive on $500 if you plan accordingly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LyleMU93)
    Flying to USA for a few weeks in the summer, going to try and do 3/4 different cities...want to try and do flights/accommodation as cheap as possible, any tips for what type of accommodation we should be going for and any other moneysaving tips? How much should I take with me and how much should I expect to spend on flights/hotels?
    Thanks
    Check out Google flights & Orbitz for flight deals - with the latter (plus Expedia) you can get good deals on combined flights & hotels in certain cities.
    Consider Airbnb for accommodation? If you don't mind staying with someone that is?
    Which cities are you considering? Trying to do both Boston & LA (for example) in one trip will likely considerably increase your costs due to the distance traveled. If you're staying on the East Coast, there are sometimes good deals on the trains (Amtrak) which could save you money compared with flying - it will probably take longer, but you get to see things out the window...

ReputationRep:
    you need this guy's FREEDOM UNITS

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.