Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

VP61 - Petition to Ban Laser Pointers watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Do you support this petition?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    29.79%
    On the contrary, No
    59.57%
    Abstain
    10.64%

• Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    VP61 - Petition to Ban Laser Pointers

Petition to Ban Laser Pointers

This petition calls for all laser pointers with the exception of those classified as class 1 to be made unavailable for public purchase. When lasers are used in incidents such as when they are shone at aircraft or at the eyes of other citizens they should be considered as offensive weapons with possible jail sentences and fines depending on the seriousness of the offence.

ReputationRep:
    Blah, you're all too bloody liberal.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Hmmm, I'll have to look up what the classes are first. Something does need to be done though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As it is only a petition and not legally binding, I'll vote aye as there definitely needs to be improvement of regulation. However there are many practical uses for lasers of all classes, so I do not support a blanket ban like this. Maybe some sort of licensing system for the more powerful/dangerous lasers.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by cBay)
    As it is only a petition and not legally binding, I'll vote aye as there definitely needs to be improvement of regulation. However there are many practical uses for lasers of all classes, so I do not support a blanket ban like this. Maybe some sort of licensing system for the more powerful/dangerous lasers.
    Agreed

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cBay)
    It's not legally binding but there is an obligation for the government to respond and write some legislation if it passes

ReputationRep:
    On a side note, I wonder if people use lasers in Syria and other warzones to try and defend against air strikes.

(Original post by Jammy Duel)
    It's not legally binding but there is an obligation for the government to respond and write some legislation if it passes
    Fair enough
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cBay)
    On a side note, I wonder if people use lasers in Syria and other warzones to try and defend against air strikes.

Fair enough
    I would imagine that in theory one could use a laser to divert laser guided weapons, although I imagine the targeting laser will strobe in a certain way that the bomb or missile is designed to lock on to, and probably changes with every shot to make it harder to given you will already I expect need a stronger laser to be able to distract it.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Ayes to the right: 14
    Noes to the left: 28
    Abstain: 5

The Noes have it! The Noes have it. Unlock.

Turnout: 94%

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 24, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.